Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards "missing" from a player's career

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Doesn't Griffey Jr. have an upper deck and OPC white sox card? I thought he did but I may be off.

I'd say close to a third of Griffey's 2009 cards are White Sox cards, counting the few half-assed examples where he's shown as a Red but the card says White Sox.

I'm saying this only as a guy who collects him, but I would have liked to see some Jeremy Bonderman Mariners cards, or perhaps something from his brief return to Detroit after the Mariners dumped him.

Oh, and Derek Lowe. He ended with career with Texas in 2013 (no cards). The end of 2012, he was with the Yankees. Lowe technically has just one Yankees card, 2013 Topps, but the number balloons to 27 when you count in the various parallels, plates, and Mini base, parallels and plates.

Last edited:

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Brady Anderson doesn't have a Fleer Rookie but appears in Score, Topps, Donruss update sets in 1988. How cool would it had been for him and Curt Schilling to have a Fleer Major League Prospects rookie with Curt Schilling?

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Brady Anderson doesn't have a Fleer Rookie but appears in Score, Topps, Donruss update sets in 1988. How cool would it had been for him and Curt Schilling to have a Fleer Major League Prospects rookie with Curt Schilling?

Imagine a 1988 Fleer Rookie Sensations with Schilling and Anderson? Both as Red Sox prospects? Would it be the only time in card history that both players on a multi-player RC were traded together in the same deal? Speaking of that trade and the topic at hand, Mike Boddicker only has one card from his bad 1993 season with Milwaukee (a 1994 Miller Brewers card, the set that had a card for every Brewer ever).

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
They don't really fit into the base card talk but Griffey Jr UD contract kept him from some IMO "iconic" auto sets (96 Leaf Signature and Fleer Great of the Game) .

Also it may have have been mentioned but didnt see , but any 94 Topps Brand ARods (base, Finest , BBest)

Ryan

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Here's one I just thought of. How about Maury Wills on a card with the Expos? Actually wearing an expos uni not an airbrushed Pirates Uni.

EtherealSOC

Dec 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
How about these for David Justice:

-1989 or 1990 Bowman: "The home of the rookie card" yet Justice had a 1989 Score subset card and every major issuer in 1990 except Bowman. What happened? This, and the 2000 Bowman (see below) is a major sore spot for me.
-1990 Topps: He is in Topps Traded, but every other major company put him in their main sets (except Bowman), plus their might have been an OPC version.
-1995 SP Championship Series: Justice played in two World Series before 1995 and would go on to hit the series-winning homer in Game 6 but doesn't appear in this set.
-1999 Ultra: He appears in every Ultra set from 1991-2002 yet he's not in 1999 Ultra?
-2000 Bowman: Again with Bowman, he appears in every Bowman set from 1991-2002 but not 2000?

Then there are sets like 1996 Leaf Preferred, 1996 SPx, 1998 Skybox Dugout Axcess, 1997 EX 2000, 1997 or 1998 Pinnacle Mint, 1997 Collector's Choice All Star Collection (Justice was voted in but was injured), 1998 & 1999 Upper Deck Retro (In the 98 Time Capsule insert but not the base set), 1999 & 2000 UD MVP, etc. etc., but a player can't be in every set.

Finally, most people don't know/remember that David Justice was a Met...for about two weeks in the offseason in December 2001. I've never found a photo of him in a Mets jersey or wearing a Mets cap and I don't believe he ever reported to the Mets (GM Steve Phillips was pretty clear he was trade bait then sent him to Oakland for pitching). Still, I would love to find one and make a 2001 Topps Traded card, or something like that of Justice depicted a Met.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
How about Anthony Recker, back up catcher for the Mets since 2013, don't think he has one card in a Mets uni, at least not that I've seen

crewguy155

Nov 12, 2015
Gossage cards

George Brett didn't have a 1993 Donruss card. He did, however, have a 1993 Donruss Preview card. Oops.

On the topic of "Don't Blink", I dug up a few more possibilities:

Goose Gossage with Pittsburgh (only a 1977 newspaper "card" and two cards from 2013 Cooperstown) and his 1989 stint with the Yankees (only a 1990 Donruss card and a PI sticker). I'd say his even shorter stint with the 1989 Giants is under-represented as well, but there's 18 cards from 2012 Prime Cuts and NT that have him as a Giant.

If I'm not mistaken, Phil Niekro had but one card as a Blue Jay; a 1988 Classic Red card, a set that also showed him as an Indian, and from his last 1987 stint as a Brave.

Robin Roberts has a 1962 Topps card as a Yankee, a team he never played for in a regular season game. He has exactly zero cards picturing him as a Cub, a team he actually did pitch for (albeit poorly) in 1966.

Goose Gossage does have a 1978 Kellogg's card in a Pirates uniform. Mother's Cookies also came out with a Gossage card in a Giants uniform.

Last edited:

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I've always been bummed that 2001 Topps Heritage didn't have Ichiro and Pujols.

Pujols Has A 2001 Bowman Heritage Promo

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I've always been bummed that 2001 Topps Heritage didn't have Ichiro and Pujols.

Pujols, I can understand, since the first set I recall him being in was 2001 Donruss (released in May). Ichiro should have had a card in Heritage, his first US RC was Upper Deck Vintage, which came out a little bit earlier than Heritage. Topps easily could have added him.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Everything 1993 fleer without Jeter
Everything 1993 Donruss without Jeter

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Indianapolis native, Dennis Musgraves, played a few game in 1965 for the Mets before hurting his arm. This was pre-Tommy John surgery days. He never got a RC. Bob Lemke, [MENTION=4472]aupt[/MENTION], made a few Musgraves customs.

Members online

Latest posts