Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ever show up to a scheduled show and find...no show?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
There was supposed to be a show at my town's Civic Center today, a place that constantly had shows back when I was a kid. This show was on the Beckett Show Calendar for months, and was featured on a few other lists as well. I was really excited about it, remembering all the great shows there when I was a kid, and the fact that I managed to finagle the day off of work to go. So I get there, 9 AM, right when the doors are supposed to open...no cars in the lot. Not a good sign. Park, and go up to the building, nothing. The guy running the building sees me, and when I ask about the show, he says he'd never even heard of a show scheduled for today. The promoter must have cancelled and neglected to mention it to anyone but the guy running the building. What a way to ruin a good Sunday!

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
You have the right year?

Sorry, that blows. Had that happen years ago, much smaller show back in small town CT. Gotta burn that money in your pocket somehow, hit the LCS.

Or Hooters.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Yes, it's happened to me. I drove about 45-60 minutes out of town to a phantom show. There's a "promoter" around central Texas who pulled this crap several times, setting up a show and then cancelling without notice, presumably because no dealers would sign on. He's still around, but I won't travel to any of his shows. Even ones in town I'm leery of going to. I went to one about a mile from my house, got to the door and saw there were 2 dealers inside, one selling photos and such, one with single cards in baskets that were being skimmed by a local collector who goes through bulk boxes card-by-card checking Beckett pricing. I declined to pay the $2 entry fee. I went to one other, and he was offering free admission, kindly enough, to a "show" with 3 dealers, one of which had just simply crap, one of which had early-90s football cards with the same early-90s price tags on them (1991 Stadium Club Troy Aikman for $20, IIRC). One guy had some bronze age comics and I found a couple books that were at least fun to read. But overall I could've stayed home asleep and had a better morning.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
We have a promoter who occassionaly does shows in the DFW area and used to go under the name of JMV Enterprises; he now uses something like Amazing Shows and actually had a show on SUnday which was a complete sell out. I'm used to going to his shows to find either no show; he once had a CC declined while I was in the room and that show was over by Noon or just a half sold out room. Although I purchased nothing this time, it was fun at least to see al the tables occupied.

Rich

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Hasn't happened with a show but I have been looking for flea markets in the area and have found a couple that are listed that aren't around anymore

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The promoter must have cancelled and neglected to mention it to anyone but the guy running the building.
So you showed up at 9am when the show was supposed to start, but you were the only one there?
Sounds like everyone but you knew the show was cancelled.
Are you sure you didn't mix up the location or date?

Members online

Latest posts