Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does your significant other think of your collecting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
The perceived or realized value has nothing to do with it. Her perspective is that the video game will get me more enjoyment because I can play it over and over and get repeat enjoyment out of it. The card I purchase arrives in the mail, I look at it, and put it on my shelf with the rest of my cards and basically do nothing with it after that. So she doesn't see a point in wasting money on a piece of cardboard that's going to sit on a shelf collecting dust and would much rather I spend money on a video game I'm going to get continued and prolonged usage out of.

ahh, understood.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I think Einstein summed it up best-- even though he was referring to chess-- when he said: "Too demanding for a hobby, too trivial for a profession." This is what my most recent "significant other" was most definitely thinking.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I think Einstein summed it up best-- even though he was referring to chess-- when he said: "Too demanding for a hobby, too trivial for a profession." This is what my most recent "significant other" was most definitely thinking.

I do think it can eat up a large amount of time and be demanding. But what's good about baseball cards or any sport is you can shut it down for a while if need be. Especially you player collectors. With ebay, there is always somebody selling their collection and always a new card to buy no matter how long of a break you take.

Also, I decided to only do things with my cards(organizing and sorting or just looking) once a week only.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
My wife doesn't care about my collecting.

I don't buy many cards anymore; instead, I have shifted about 95% of my collecting focus to my book collection. I spend maybe $50 on them a month and that is it. I don't buy new clothes more than once a year, don't drink or smoke, don't want any electronica of any kind. She knows that she has got it good with me! :p

My wife doesn't care about my collecting.

I don't buy many cards anymore; instead, I have shifted about 95% of my collecting focus to my book collection. I spend maybe $50 on them a month and that is it. I don't buy new clothes more than once a year, don't drink or smoke, don't want any electronica of any kind. She knows that she has got it good with me! :p

Are you Amish? ;)

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I do think it can eat up a large amount of time and be demanding. But what's good about baseball cards or any sport is you can shut it down for a while if need be. Especially you player collectors. With ebay, there is always somebody selling their collection and always a new card to buy no matter how long of a break you take.

Also, I decided to only do things with my cards(organizing and sorting or just looking) once a week only.

Dang that's harsh. I couldn't go a day without looking at everyone of my Susac autos

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Dang that's harsh. I couldn't go a day without looking at everyone of my Susac autos

I honestly don't have time for it. There are so many other things going on. But it makes it more enjoyable when I do have the time to do it.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Not sure if I replied to this one, but my parents dont mind that I get cards from the store, as long as its with my own money, or with a gift card. but they HATE that I trade/buy online...Howveer, once I get my own place this spring it wont really be a problem
Parents aren't a "significant other," which is the topic of this thread, unless you have some kind of weird backwoods incestual relationship with them.
And why did you bump a four-month old thread to tell us that anyway?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Parents aren't a "significant other," which is the topic of this thread, unless you have some kind of weird backwoods incestual relationship with them.
And why did you bump a four-month old thread to tell us that anyway?

+1 all around

I started a similar thread tonight, so maybe he wanted to bump this in response, I don't know.

Mods can delete mine or combine them. Has like 30+ replies I think.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
She knows about it, knows what it's worth, but doesn't know what I spent. Luckily for me, if she ever asked, its much less than its value so I will be OK

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts