Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official Error and Variation Discussion/Reference Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Here is one that's a head scratcher. 1998 UD SPx Vinny Castilla pictured on front and the back is Tino Martinez and its serial numbered. You wonder how many in that run are like this. How does this even happen.

wq2h66hr.jpeg

image_85.jpeg

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Here is one that's a head scratcher. 1998 UD SPx Vinny Castilla pictured on front and the back is Tino Martinez and its serial numbered. You wonder how many in that run are like this. How does this even happen.

wq2h66hr.jpeg

image_85.jpeg

That's pretty cool, love picking up Dawsons like that

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I haven't seen mention of this variation yet...1989 Upper Deck normal vs. bold font. It's subtle but if you look closely there is definitely a difference between font thickness on both front and back. I had several of both kinds in my duplicates so I would bet it was an intentional change in the font versus just a printing variation. This is definitely splitting hairs on what is a really a "variation", but since I was able to add a 1989 variation to my collection with no effort, I'm calling this one totally legit :) Normal on the left, bold on the right.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1989 upper deck regular vs bold font back.jpg
    1989 upper deck regular vs bold font back.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 217
  • 1989 upper deck regular vs bold font front.jpg
    1989 upper deck regular vs bold font front.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 174

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I haven't seen mention of this variation yet...1989 Upper Deck normal vs. bold font. It's subtle but if you look closely there is definitely a difference between font thickness on both front and back. I had several of both kinds in my duplicates so I would bet it was an intentional change in the font versus just a printing variation. This is definitely splitting hairs on what is a really a "variation", but since I was able to add a 1989 variation to my collection with no effort, I'm calling this one totally legit :) Normal on the left, bold on the right.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Very hard to see in the scans but I have seen this before. I am in the process of breaking some sets down into team sets I will have keep an eye on these.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008

attachment.php
attachment.php

Very cool I had never seen this before. I just went into my dups and confirmed that they exist for both the hologram types as well so there are four total:

-ball background normal
-ball background bold
-no ball background normal
-no ball background bold

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Crap, I was afraid of that. I have the first three variations, but now I gotta go find that no ball background bolt font version :)

Very cool I had never seen this before. I just went into my dups and confirmed that they exist for both the hologram types as well so there are four total:

-ball background normal
-ball background bold
-no ball background normal
-no ball background bold

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Crap, I was afraid of that. I have the first three variations, but now I gotta go find that no ball background bolt font version :)

That's the fun of collecting. Would of been boring if you already had em w/I any real searching ;)

Ryan

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Check out these whacky cards from my PC. Back doored at [MENTION=7453]mouschi[/MENTION] place

Jose front
b3812b6w.jpeg

Clemens back
image_86.jpeg

And this O'Neill Canseco mix

9ylq3o2z.jpeg

image_87.jpeg

ragtop12

Jan 15, 2015
Neat... those Shockwave errors were actually found in packs too. I remember buying a box and every shockwave was like that. Not complaining, made good money off the errors... more than I would have made for the regular inserts! I also vaguely remember that set had wrong back errors on the reciprocals.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
1996 - Pinnacle Summit - Lance Johnson with Derek Jeter name in Foil on Front

s-l1600.jpg

Great card. I have some Jeters to get to yet myself. Is the back all Lance Johnson?

I have a bunch of different ones like this I need to scan. I will place them here over time.

Fisk front
4915ph3j.jpeg

Back is a mis cut Guidry

image_88.jpeg

Members online

Latest posts