Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's your plan for your collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So many good things in this thread... It definitely feels like "dogs chasing cars" at times and I love the idea of going out "Pharaoh-style" in the end ;)

For me the "plan" is to get it to 90% of all Albert Belle cards and just try and keep it above 90%. That to me makes me feel like it is complete.

As for the ultimate plan, one would hope to pass it down to kids but if they don't like it, that is OK. I probably won't ever sell it because I don't know that there is or ever will be a buyer lol... I would sell the entire thing right now for the right price and just walk away in all honesty. I could only hope Belle would come calling and ask for it...

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just trying to get as many different Bagwells as possible. Other than that I'm just picking up things here and there. I have no real plan, though I do enjoy Nathan's! Lol! I kind of liked the idea of trying to have the best collection possible. Not sure that it's an egotistical thing. But it lets people know you're serious and in a weird way, it kind of makes you feel like you belong to a community somehow.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I think that you can throw me in the "dog chasing cars" group. I hope that my kids have an interest in them but my oldest is only 2.5 years old so who knows what he will like. I would like to pass down the premier items and the rest if my kids aren't interested in keeping it I would sell. I would like to teach my kids how to sell these things on ebay as I think there are some good lessons to learn from the process and it would also provide them with money they can use to buy what they are interested in. At least that way I would feel it went to benefit them and it would also teach them some good lessons along the way. But right now I'm just enjoying putting together what I feel is a pretty cool collection. For me it's still a really fun hobby that provides a nice distraction from my everyday grind. That aspect has a big value to me.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
as a 45-year-old only child with no kids of my own and really no one else in my extended family that collects , i often wonder exactly what will become of my collection...i am essentially a level four hoarder with over 2 million cards....hundreds of complete sets...thousands of partial sets...hundreds of player collections in baseball , football , and basketball....a massive gamecock collection in all sports.....hundreds of boxes of semi-sorted base material and dozens of boxes , each housing either inserts , parallels , game-used , or autographs....some old starting line-ups and macfarlanes....puzzles....oddball items ...you name it i have some of it here....my health isn't that great right now and my financial situation is horrendous , so i do wonder if it's time to start parceling out more of the PC...but every time i plan to do just that , the hoarder in me jumps up and smacks the ^$#% of me , telling me in no uncertain terms that i would regret letting go of ..well....most anything....yes , i NEED to pare down....but most likely , when the police come to investigate the odor reported by my neighbors they'll find my half-eaten (i have 20 cats) rotten corpse tilted against a dim computer monitor with a stack of bowman chrome prospects and renaldo balkman exquisite autos on the floor benetah me....if they can stand the stench of death , they ay find the other 3 rooms full of cards which they will either haul off to the city dump or turn over to my creditors , aka the finance company leeches and vultures...

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
as a 45-year-old only child with no kids of my own and really no one else in my extended family that collects , i often wonder exactly what will become of my collection...i am essentially a level four hoarder with over 2 million cards....hundreds of complete sets...thousands of partial sets...hundreds of player collections in baseball , football , and basketball....a massive gamecock collection in all sports.....hundreds of boxes of semi-sorted base material and dozens of boxes , each housing either inserts , parallels , game-used , or autographs....some old starting line-ups and macfarlanes....puzzles....oddball items ...you name it i have some of it here....my health isn't that great right now and my financial situation is horrendous , so i do wonder if it's time to start parceling out more of the PC...but every time i plan to do just that , the hoarder in me jumps up and smacks the ^$#% of me , telling me in no uncertain terms that i would regret letting go of ..well....most anything....yes , i NEED to pare down....but most likely , when the police come to investigate the odor reported by my neighbors they'll find my half-eaten (i have 20 cats) rotten corpse tilted against a dim computer monitor with a stack of bowman chrome prospects and renaldo balkman exquisite autos on the floor benetah me....if they can stand the stench of death , they ay find the other 3 rooms full of cards which they will either haul off to the city dump or turn over to my creditors , aka the finance company leeches and vultures...

Feel free to name me as your benefactor. ;)

As far as my collection, I would love to donate parts of it to the Baseball Hall of Fame (They have a surprisingly small collection of cards). My kids are teenagers and think I am a moron for spending money on cards. I will probably just have one of my buddies who knows cards sell it off.

I did take my wife to the National last year and show her the different consignment houses to potentially go that route if something happens to me.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think Gamecockfanatic needs an intervention. I understand the 2 million cards, that's what we're about. The biographical data is just like me except I'm a year younger, and the reclusive behavior is fine. But 20 cats? TWENTY CATS DUDE? You need to trade all those up into a nice, big dog.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
I think Gamecockfanatic needs an intervention. I understand the 2 million cards, that's what we're about. The biographical data is just like me except I'm a year younger, and the reclusive behavior is fine. But 20 cats? TWENTY CATS DUDE? You need to trade all those up into a nice, big dog.

had dogs as a kid....not too much use for 'em anymore (although i admit i could probably deal with a lazy bassett hound)....i rescue cats (i wanna be the non-tattooed jackson galaxy when i grow up)....before getting hit by a car , one poor little stray had 4 litters under my neighbor's storage unit within 15 months....wish i could have saved them all but sadly most either got hit by cars or killed by the damned stray dogs in the area....never had any plans to go beyond 2-3 , but i can not turn away an adorable little kitten....once i was up to 9 , two more suddenly popped up , virtually in my yard....brought the first in when no one came to claim her after 2 weeks ....i'd seen the second one in the area 3-4 times over the previous year , then she started stopping by each night for a quick meal...after a week she brought her 3 kittens to see me....two days later i found one in the road by my mailbox...the other two never came back so i can only assume the worst.....lured the mom in so she'd be safe.....both she and the previous one were already pregnant and had litters of 5 each within 3 days of each other so within a few days i went from 9 , to 11 , to 21....and i wouldn't trade any of them for every card in the world....

Members online