Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would anyone be interested in a ***** league product?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Had been mentioned in the Leaf thread awhile back but curious to get other's peoples opinion whether you guys think this product would work. I think it would be a great product. There are so many incredible ***** league players with insane stats that most people don't know about. Could have great insert sets too like ***** league all time leaders in different categories, famous games or events that occurred, stadium cards about where they played, team cards, mlb players who started in the ***** leagues, etc. The only real draw back is you probably couldn't really have game used cards and signatures would also be difficult but you could still have manufactured patch cards with the team logos or other types of manufactured hits. Think it has a lot of potential and something different. Really hope Leaf or someone else makes such a product.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It would be something I would definitely purchase and don't care if there were no game used or autographs. I'd prefer there weren't.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'd be up for it but I'm not sure how it would do from a sales standpoint. There really were a lot of great players but like was mentioned, they aren't well known. That might prevent some people from opening the product.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I think if they use the well known names for the marketing like camponella, mays, gibson, papa bell, aaron, dolby, robinson, newcombe, irvin, paige, etc. It would draw alot of interest.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Using the MLB stars is a way to get attention but it also should be easy to offer nice auto's that won't cost much to get. Most of the players still alive are real ambassadors for the league and I am sure do not charge much for their sigs and you can buy authenticated signed stuff for pretty cheap as well. I believe if it is researched well it can be as much history lesson as anything else and do really nicely...

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I think a company could procure a large number of relatively cheap autos for cut cards. They could probably advertise one cut per box, with the Campanella, Paige, and other pricier guys as 1/1s, but with a large checklist giving a number of players their first cert auto.

The rights to use player images would be the costliest aspect of the product, and there probably wouldnt be enough commercial interest to make it profitable overall.

Id buy a box, though.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Actually I think getting the rights to photos might be cheaper then you think. It's really sad but a lot of the players are in bad financial shape and so is the organization. It's really sad but if you go to the different ***** league sites you'll see a lot of players asking for donations. I think I remember reading that the ***** league museum was also in bad shape and almost closed down.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I would be down for it, however I want this product to have non-#'d base cards.

I know we are at a point in the hobby where base cards are obsolete, but as a TTM autographer, this is what would make the product for me.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Using the MLB stars is a way to get attention but it also should be easy to offer nice auto's that won't cost much to get. Most of the players still alive are real ambassadors for the league and I am sure do not charge much for their sigs and you can buy authenticated signed stuff for pretty cheap as well. I believe if it is researched well it can be as much history lesson as anything else and do really nicely...

That's the part I would love. Include the stats on the back and a little blurb about the guy. Not just about his baseball life, but outside as well.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
That's the part I would love. Include the stats on the back and a little blurb about the guy. Not just about his baseball life, but outside as well.

Definitely agree. Some of the stories about these guys are just as amazing as their stats. Love the story how Paige would sometimes intentionally load the bases and then call his infielders in to sit around the mound as he struck out the side. The nicknames for the players and how they got them are awesome as well. There's also really interesting facts about the players like the one player who is the only player to be inducted into 3 country's hall of fame (I think it was the US, Mexico and Cuba). Can't remember who though.

Definitely agree. Some of the stories about these guys are just as amazing as their stats. Love the story how Paige would sometimes intentionally load the bases and then call his infielders in to sit around the mound as he struck out the side. The nicknames for the players and how they got them are awesome as well. There's also really interesting facts about the players like the one player who is the only player to be inducted into 3 country's hall of fame (I think it was the US, Mexico and Cuba). Can't remember who though.

Like Cool Papa Bell and Stachel Paige and others

Like Cool Papa Bell and Stachel Paige and others

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, Paige was a real bad ass! I thoroughly enjoy every thing I can find to read about him.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Dominican and Venezuelan as well!
Martín Dihigo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love when I pick up one of the commons for my pre-war and doing a little research on the players. Some unknown interesting stories out there!

Last edited:

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
Yeah, Paige was a real bad ass! I thoroughly enjoy every thing I can find to read about him.

How about him pitching 3 scoreless innings, giving up one hit, at the age of 59! The best pitcher to ever play the game.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

I would love to see some sort of pamphlet that allowed more than just a few lines.

Mario1975

May 9, 2012
I would be down for it, however I want this product to have non-#'d base cards.

I know we are at a point in the hobby where base cards are obsolete, but as a TTM autographer, this is what would make the product for me.

I'd love to see a huge base card set as well. Something in line with topps' regular series, say 350 base cards not numbered with a few insert sets. Could have 24 pack boxes with maybe a manufactured patch card of the team logo and one signature or other manufactured relic card. Some cool insert sets would be maybe legendary tales with cards depicting special events or games, all star cards, legendary moments depicting special achievements or records and league leaders. I think the real draw, like others said, is learning more about the history of the league and its players, not hits or gimmicks.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
It wouldn't sell at all if was just base cards.

Still would be a very niche product. Would have to have small print run and couple autos a box. Keep it mid range at $60 to $70 a box. Maybe it has a chance to do well.
No more than 1,000 10 box cases.

Members online

Latest posts