Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors: a Topps Vault "what would you do?" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I'm really annoyed that people keep bidding against me on items for my obscure player collections. The 1993 Topps contract for Hensley Meulens ended up going for $26! Seriously, there was someone other than me willing to pay $26 for a signed Hensley Meulens Topps contract. For most Vault stuff, the $9.99 opening bid is just about the limit of what I'm willing to pay. As a result, I don't get much.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I'm really annoyed that people keep bidding against me on items for my obscure player collections. The 1993 Topps contract for Hensley Meulens ended up going for $26! Seriously, there was someone other than me willing to pay $26 for a signed Hensley Meulens Topps contract. For most Vault stuff, the $9.99 opening bid is just about the limit of what I'm willing to pay. As a result, I don't get much.

I keep telling myself "it's just money that can easily be replaced".The rare contract may never show up again.

shadowking86

May 13, 2014
I picked up one out of the four or five that I have seen. It is not a card but more of a curiosity. I agree they are way too expensive to buy all of them.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I really like the contracts and if one of my player comes up it goes for a pretty good sum. To me, they make a really neat display piece.

Also, I think the '75 Topps separation proofs are really cool cards. I hope they will list the Brooksie regular issue card, the Robinson/Boyer MVP or the '74 AL Playoff card. I know the Schmidt went for a pretty penny. Has any of the players that you guys collect been listed here lately?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!

It sometimes is from the other signature on the contract. If it is also signed by Sy Berger, many collectors buy the obscure contracts to get them cheaper.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
It sometimes is from the other signature on the contract. If it is also signed by Sy Berger, many collectors buy the obscure contracts to get them cheaper.

I guess I just don't understand why people would be so eager to get Sy Berger's autograph.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Back on the topic of Topps Vault, I do find it a little weird seeing them have almost a side business via eBay selling off things like proofs, etc. Some of the older items are pretty neat and don't know another way they'd sell them off but just find it weird to see it. I mean can't they sell them via their website? What about having another product called "Topps Vault 2014" and having it be all these types of items? Even Beckett doesn't recognize the items on player checklists.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Because the eBay store reaches a large multiple of what the Topps Store reaches. I think it's really that simple as to why they have an eBay store also. The items also don't have a large enough segment of collectors (IMO) to base a product around them and I think collectors like the split w/ vault items staying in an online distribution. Though I could see them using some "better" vault items as random inserts / redemptions / giveaways some time

Ryan

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Back on the topic of Topps Vault, I do find it a little weird seeing them have almost a side business via eBay selling off things like proofs, etc. Some of the older items are pretty neat and don't know another way they'd sell them off but just find it weird to see it. I mean can't they sell them via their website? What about having another product called "Topps Vault 2014" and having it be all these types of items? Even Beckett doesn't recognize the items on player checklists.

They did start out by auctioning a ton of items from their vault originally in the 1989 Topps Vaults Guernsey auction. After this they started selling, pretty much, exclusively on eBay and then some of the Vault items did go to their Topps store online, which are still there. Also, they had another auction of some of the Vault items at the National one year as well (Believe it was a few years back). I remember they had the Ryan rookie card transparency and an uncut sheet of the Reggie card as an Oriole. I think they also dabbled in some of the new shiny cards and most of the items listed now are pretty decent in my view even though they are not recognize by Beckett. I'm sure there are many other ways to go about selling these items.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Anything goes now. Collectors have opened up to "super" fans, bat boys, trainers, announcers, execs, umpires, scouts, mascots, coaches, etc. I have several Dodger related signatures in my collection like the Long time concessions/pmotional Director, scouts, announcers, etc. I won't pay a ton, but fun to have the variety. I meant to send to Frank Jobe as well, but never got around to it and then he died.

There were a couple of popular concession employees at the Kingdome that became local celebrities because of their actions on the job. I wish that I had thought to have them sign something. Both have since passed away, but it was fun remembering those guys at games when I was a kid. If you went to any Mariner games (they worked other events too), you definitely knew these two guys regardless of where you sat.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/article/Bill-Scott-1949-2007-Beerman-lifted-1232359.php

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/126266188.html

Heck, I even bought a signed card of a guy names Wally the beer man, from MN or somewhere in the midwest I think.

A baseball player I understand. A corporate executive, not so much.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Heck, I even bought a signed card of a guy names Wally the beer man, from MN or somewhere in the midwest I think.

Is it a picture of him singing at a Twins game with his vending "stats" on the back. I met him at a Twins game in 2002 and he gave me a signed card.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts