Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors: a Topps Vault "what would you do?" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
As the person most qualified to answer this (since we share a page in a certain magazine for our adequate collections) I say get 'em.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I'd say if they drop in price definitely pick them up. If you question spending $50 on a handful of items then it's really not worth it even if you do really want them. IF you have the extra cash it won't hurt you either.. Is it something you'd typically go for?
I have one topps vault item and really it's a cash grab from tribute a few years back, I won't be wasting money on again. A slide is different though. Would be an interesting piece. as someone said, they'd make a cool custom card

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I bought a "proof" off eBay from those clowns and when I got it, the item was literally just a printing piece of paper with a picture of the card on one side. It was as thin as a piece of a magazine page or something. I could make those myself and sell... just crap.

I suppose if you got a one of a kind piece or a film or something, that's cool but otherwise, I think 99% of there stuff is just a racket. I also think it's funny they just pawn this stuff off on eBay... it's such a money grab and an asset sale.

Was wondering what these slide negatives truly were.Actualy film slide or some junk photo on paper?Glad you clarified that.Not adding any of these to my collection.I don't know why Topps couldn't take better pictures of these to show what they actually are.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Ugh. Really disappointed right now. Last night the one item I really did want got away. It was a '88 Topps Traded paste-up of the back of the card. Can't believe I got outbid.

The slides end tonight. I hate consolation prizes.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Sorry you lost the paste up. I was psyched I managed to snag the Brady. Never saw those before didn't even know that was even apart of production.

Ugh. Really disappointed right now. Last night the one item I really did want got away. It was a '88 Topps Traded paste-up of the back of the card. Can't believe I got outbid.

The slides end tonight. I hate consolation prizes.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Only 1 time did I bid on a vault item, the rest I've always passed on. Before the Topps Marbles recently made their way to ebay it was rumored to exist and very few collectors had their marble, let alone the checklist. The vault listed the negatives used to create each marble so I bid thinking I could fill the void for the time being and if nothing else know that it was produced at some time. Well I was like 3rd in the bidding and a couple years later everything came out (marbles/checklist etc...).

I wouldn't bid on non-issued card pics but I can see why they are intriguing. In a way I'm disappointed I passed on all the negatives used to print the pacific cards.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011

Sorry you didn't get the paste-up; looked like a really cool item to add to your collection. There have been several instances I have come up short when I was bidding on a Vault item. Can understand your disappointment. How many people that you know collect Butler, or do other people collect these one a kind type pieces?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
How many people that you know collect Butler, or do other people collect these one a kind type pieces?
I'm it. I thought it might be someone that is chasing every one of the '88 back paste-ups, but in looking at the winning bidders this appears to be the only one he won. Private bidder, too, whatever that's worth.

Oh well. I'll throw it up on my wantlist and hope it comes available some day.

edit: just looked at recent feedback left by Topps. The winning bidder also won 2014 Topps blank backs of Giants players, so he appears to be a team collector. Wish he'd stick to current players and not cast an eye at the old-timers :mad:

edit #2 : the buyer appears to be mainly going after 2014 blank backs with a few other random items thrown in for good measure, at least as far as the Vault is concerned. If anyone hears or sees a collector out there with a large chunk of 2014 Giants blank backs, please let me know. I'd like to at least talk to him and see if he can be convinced to part with the '88 paste-up.

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I decided to pass on the slides. All five sold - 3 to one guy for $13.01, $13.40 and $13.50. The other two sold to another guy for the $9.95 opening bid. They were sorta neat, but not for $60+.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I decided to pass on the slides. All five sold - 3 to one guy for $13.01, $13.40 and $13.50. The other two sold to another guy for the $9.95 opening bid. They were sorta neat, but not for $60+.

You personally didn't sound too excited about the slides, but it looks like at least a couple of individuals wanted to pick them up. I think they are neat as long as the slide and ultimately the picture it produces would be nice. I noted before there were a few of slides of Brooks w/in the Vault here lately, that weren't referencing any of his regular issue cards, that I passed on since I didn't love the poses. All of the Brooks slides sold as well so someone out there likes the slides that aren't used for the cards.

Like you said, now you know it's out there, put it on your want list and hopefully it will come up for sale one day. Years ago I got outbid on the players file card, the ones that Topps gave the players TV's, furniture, radio's, etc. each year. Even though I didn't know it existed at the time once I saw it I really thought it was a unique item and wanted to add it to my collection, but it wasn't meant to be. At least now I know it's out there...somewhere.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Have someone make a custom using that slide. Can also blow up into 8x10.

And still left with a bad shot of his favorite player..theres a reason it wasnt used for the card.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts