Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Happy Nate Colbert Day!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
On this date in history in 1972, my favorite player of all time, Nate Colbert of the San Diego Padres, tied a major league record when he hit five home runs in a doubleheader against the Atlanta Braves. Colbert also set major league records of 13 RBI and 22 total bases in the twinbill.

The other player to hit 5 homers in a doubleheader was St. Louis Cardinal Hall of Famer Stan Musial.

In a rather strange twist, Nate and his father were in attendance at the doubleheader when Musial hit his 5 home runs in a game in 1954.

This information, and $5.00, will get you a small chinomochofrappelatte at Starbucks.
1438438576056.jpg

On this date in history in 1972, my favorite player of all time, Nate Colbert of the San Diego Padres, tied a major league record when he hit five home runs in a doubleheader against the Atlanta Braves. Colbert also set major league records of 13 RBI and 22 total bases in the twinbill.

The other player to hit 5 homers in a doubleheader was St. Louis Cardinal Hall of Famer Stan Musial.

In a rather strange twist, Nate and his father were in attendance at the doubleheader when Musial hit his 5 home runs in a game in 1954.

This information, and $5.00, will get you a small chinomochofrappelatte at Starbucks.
View attachment 53239

Nice info

Why is he your favorite player?

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Nice info

Why is he your favorite player?

He was the Padres' first "star" player.

In 1972, an abysmal year (even by San Diego standards) Nate was involved in 33% of the team's total "offense".

They scored 488 runs, Nate drove in 111 runs and scored 87 more. If you subtract his 38 homers, you end up with jyst under 33%.

As for pics...I've been meaning to get a new scanner, so... :)

This is my latest addition. It's a wire photo from the archives of the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper from August 17th, 1972.
View attachment 53254

Last edited:

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Thanks for sharing how you started to really like Nate Colbert as a star for the Padres. I think it's cool to collect a player that meant something to you personally while you were growing up.

By the way that is a great wire photo! Do you collect "everything" related to Colbert?!?

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Never underestimate the power of mutton chops!

Nate_Colbert_5-Home-Runs.jpg

18colbert_ball.jpg

"Atlanta 8-1-72. This is the ball that broke the records in Atlanta by Nate Colbert. HR's, Total Bases, RBI's are National League Records."

18colbert_ball1.jpg

"Aug. 1, 1972. 5 home runs in doubleheader ties Stan Musial."

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Thanks for sharing how you started to really like Nate Colbert as a star for the Padres. I think it's cool to collect a player that meant something to you personally while you were growing up.

By the way that is a great wire photo! Do you collect "everything" related to Colbert?!?

I collect everything I can (reasonably) afford. I thought I had a shot at a 1972 game uniform. It went for over $1,300.00. :(

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Colbert

I collect everything I can (reasonably) afford. I thought I had a shot at a 1972 game uniform. It went for over $1,300.00. :(

Sounds like me w/Brooks. Are you at a point of displaying any of your items? I personally don't do any of the registries, but is that something that you shoot for? Bet there is a ton of stuff related to Colbert out there. I know one of my favorites is the Topps Greatest Moments card, or I think he was in the '74 Topps Deckle Edge as well.

When I first started collecting Brooks, back in the day, I thought it would be no time to pick up everything related to him. Now I know it will never happen...

Members online

Latest posts