Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Same photo, different manufacturers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
$(KGrHqRHJCoFCngEHIj6BQstshBPNg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!jIFBe7bNnkWBQnnZ7v(D!~~60_57.JPG

The photoshopping is good...

Same pic? Definitely the same splitfingered fastball...... One would think that both manufacturers would have exclusivity agreements re: the pictures.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It's like one of those "Can You Spot the 10 Differences" photos?

1) No undershirt
2) No "P" logo on hat
3) Shirt is now black
4) Double stripe on pant leg
5) No stripes on sleeves
6) No team name on front
7) Crappy, blasphemous imitation of iconic 90's insert set background
8)?
9)?
10)?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
It's like one of those "Can You Spot the 10 Differences" photos?

1) No undershirt
2) No "P" logo on hat
3) Shirt is now black
4) Double stripe on pant leg
5) No stripes on sleeves
6) No team name on front
7) Crappy, blasphemous imitation of iconic 90's insert set background
8)?
9)?
10)?

Topps airbrushes/photoshops most cards for Bowman Chrome. The underlying picture, though, I believe is the same... which is my point.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
I don't have pictures, but Topps has been using many pictures that were used by Donruss for Henderson cards. That and the fact they keep using the same 2-3 pictures for everything else they make.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Topps airbrushes/photoshops most cards for Bowman Chrome. The underlying picture, though, I believe is the same... which is my point.

Ummm... yeah? Pretty common knowledge. And my point is... it's like one of those "Can You Spot the 10 Differences" photos.

I thought your point is "Why is Leaf using a Topps photo?" To that, I have no answer. It's either that 1) the original photographer did not issue an exclusive license and Topps did not require it, 2) Topps did require an exclusivity provision but the photographer ignored it - possibly opening him/herself up to lawsuit, or 3) Topps sold the photo rights to Leaf. Lots of possibilites with photo rights, including one time usage provisions, exclusivity provisions, and rights management. It's all dependent on what is negotiated at time of purchase.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
It's neither Topps nor Leaf's photo, much like Newspapers, they just purchase the photos from a service and print them on their cards.

Think of it as stock photography.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
where is scuba when you need him. He will know the answer. He has sold pictures to Panini and others I think.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
It's neither Topps nor Leaf's photo, much like Newspapers, they just purchase the photos from a service and print them on their cards.

Stock photography services such as Corbis, Getty, AP all have rights management provisions for commercial applications. Newspapers have editorial licenses, not commercial.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
where is scuba when you need him. He will know the answer. He has sold pictures to Panini and others I think.

That's why I posted. I would think a manufacturer -- especially Topps -- would all but require that the photo be exclusive and "******" -- never used before in another product.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Topps and Fleer did the same thing back in 1982 with a Rod Carew base card from Fleer and the "in action" card from Topps. The picture was identical from each manufacturer and no airbrushing was done on either picture.

I dont think there is an exclusive on photos that are used on sports cards as they usually pay a one time fee for the use of the photo unless the photographers are working as an employee of the card companies. I might be totally off base on this one.

Edited to add:Bcubs beat me to it

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area

This is more or less correct. For minor league and draft related products both Topps and Panini use wire services or buy from individual photographers. They generally do not pay for exclusive rights for photos. I have sold the same photo to both of them in the past.

Topps uses staff photographers for most of their MLB cards.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
This is more or less correct. For minor league and draft related products both Topps and Panini use wire services or buy from individual photographers. They generally do not pay for exclusive rights for photos. I have sold the same photo to both of them in the past.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

Thanks.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008

Yeah, when I was a photo editor at Topps, we usually had photos of guys that had been at Spring Training, but if we wanted to use a guy that we didn't have a photo of, we went to the AP for current guys and the Sporting News for historical pics. We paid the lowest price we could, which is obviously non-exclusive.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
When I see a unique game photo on Topps cards, it seems like I can go to Getty images and find the exact image used.

Jenkinssssss

Nov 21, 2011
OP aren't you a lawyer? Can't identify a basic licensing transaction? or are you just trolling card manufacturers?

Members online

Latest posts