Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kyle Lohse Finally Signs....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brewers lose their #17 pick this year; Cardinals gain the #28 pick.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'd be super pissed off if the pick was any higher than that. But I guess I'm satisfied with this signing. Not super confidence in Lohse and that he can repeat his recent success in Miller Park.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO- 3 years. The season starts in a week and we had to give him 3 years.

cards01fan

Sep 4, 2008
I have looked but can't find it, why do the brewers lose the 17th pick but the cards only gain the 28th pick? Why wouldn't the cards get the 17th pick?

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I knew this was going to happen. I didn't want to believe, but when the guys from last year stumbled a bit in ST (Rogers, Fiers, specifically), I figured this would be Milwaukee's response.

We'll see. I think the memories of Jeff Suppan and others give people the legit bubble-guts about the signing, but last year's Kyle Loshe may have also been last year's Mike Fiers (just much more expensive). You just can't predict, is all I'm saying.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Lohse was the final free agent signing to affect this year's draft. Here's how it looks now.

First Round
1. Astros
2. Cubs
3. Rockies
4. Twins
5. Indians
6. Marlins
7. Red Sox
8. Royals
9. Pirates (for failure to sign 2012 first-rounder Mark Appel)
10. Blue Jays
11. Mets
12. Mariners
13. Padres
14. Pirates
15. Diamondbacks
16. Phillies
17. White Sox
18. Dodgers
19. Cardinals
20. Tigers
21. Rays
22. Orioles
23. Rangers
24. Athletics
25. Giants
26. Yankees
27. Reds
28. Cardinals (for Lohse)
29. Rays (for Upton)
30. Rangers (for Hamilton)
31. Braves (for free agent Michael Bourn)
32. Yankees (for free agent Nick Swisher)
33. Yankees (for Soriano)

Supplemental First Round (Competitive-Balance Lottery Picks)

34. Royals
35. Marlins (acquired from Pirates)
36. Diamondbacks
37. Orioles
38. Reds
39. Tigers (acquired from Marlins)

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
[MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION]

I would bet my life Milwaukee won one of those "free-bee" supp. picks. I can't look it up too quickly on my phone, but are you 100% certain the Brewers don't have one?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I would bet my life Milwaukee won one of those "free-bee" supp. picks. I can't look it up too quickly on my phone, but are you 100% certain the Brewers don't have one?

Yes, they'll have the #72 pick (Supp. 2nd round) as well. You may continue to exist.

Last edited:

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Really? Have you looked at the Brewers history with 1st round picks?

This is a little harsh though. The Brewers seem to have developed a dichotomy where they either hit it big with a first-rounder (Weeks, Fielder, Braun, Laporta (say what you want but at the time we traded him he was a huge success) or the guy absolutely bombs. Krynzel, Covey, Arnett, Jeffress.

The outcomes of Jungmann, Bradley, Roache, and Coultier will settle this debate. It's just a little early though.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
This is a little harsh though. The Brewers seem to have developed a dichotomy where they either hit it big with a first-rounder (Weeks, Fielder, Braun, Laporta (say what you want but at the time we traded him he was a huge success) or the guy absolutely bombs. Krynzel, Covey, Arnett, Jeffress.

The outcomes of Jungmann, Bradley, Roache, and Coultier will settle this debate. It's just a little early though.

Is it really fair to add Covey's name in this debate? I mean, the dude ended up having diabetes. Your point is still well made though. Plus, the Brewers had better success (probably?) in the later rounds of that draft, netting Thornburg and Jimmy Nelson.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Can't see how this would be a bad sign. The guy went 16-3 with a sub 3.00 ERA last year.
Yeah and it's not like he ended up getting the contract he initially wanted (4/60)...not a bad deal for the Brewers. They needed a veteran pitcher on that staff.

I believe that over 80% of the 1st Round picks never pan out to be worth the pick anyway.

Based on the 2003 MLB draft, which gives players 10 years to make it to the majors and actually do something, of the 30 1st Round Picks that year, a total of....5 players made the All-Star team since being drafted.

Those players are...

Rickie Weeks
Aaron Hill
Chad Cordero
Chad Billingsley
Carlos Quentin

and the 1 supplemental 1st Round Pick to make the All-Star team is Adam Jones

Also, the 2005 MLB Draft, which is considered one of the best drafts in recent memory, had of total of 8 players make an All-Star team. If my math is correct, thats 8/30, or 26% of the 1st Round Picks, who the teams spend the most money on (draft picks anyway). Yes, the players that made the All-Star team from that draft are great players...but still, alot of the 1st Round Picks from that year, or many years, dont do anything worth the pick.

Members online

Latest posts