Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What will Starlin Castro end up being in the long term?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I will start by saying I am a Cubs fan, a Castro fan, but also like to think I am a realist.

We all know that Castro had a disastrous 2013, but has seemed to have turned it around this year. Most forget that he is just 24 years old and already has 762 career hits. He can be maddening in the field, but he also has all the talent to be a far above average short stop. So what do you think he will end up being when all is said and done?

Current stats and MLB rank amongst shortstops

AVG - .274 - 7th in MLB

OPS - .759 - 6th

HR - 9 - 4th

RBI - 34 - 6th

2b - 18 - 2nd

SB - 1 - basically has stopped running for some reason

Hits - 70 - tied for 3rd

As you can see offensively has been one of the top 5-7 offensive shortstops so far this year. Is that about where he will end up? Better? Worse?

Have a good one everybody!

ben.z2010

Jan 17, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
I just never know what to think about Castro. Despite his strong start, his OBP is still only about .315. The problem is, for him to be a special player, he needs to hit well over .300. Yeah, I'm sure he's a top 7 shortstop right now offensively, but the only truly special offensive shortstop I can think of is tulo. Im just on the fence on what Castro can become. I think his defense as of now is below average, but he no doubt has the ability to become well above average. If his defense can just be average among mlb shortstops, I think he can be a top 5 player at the position.

kerryfan5

Sep 17, 2012
Ohio thourgh Dickinson, N.D.
Like most players time will tell. That being said I can see a player turning 30 with about 1900 hits in the books. That is well on pace for 3000, but OBP only goes down in 30's. so if he's not careful he could be the next Juan Pierre!

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Should be steadily consistent for the Cubs for many years

will continue to be a generic hobby non-presence, mostly do the hobby's bias towards non-caucasian's

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I hold no ill will towards him (honestly, he's one of the only Cubs I like), but I always couldn't understand why people would pass up an Alcides Escobar for Castro. I know, age and all, but if I'm drafting a team even today, I take Tulo or Escobar before Castro.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Should be steadily consistent for the Cubs for many years

will continue to be a generic hobby non-presence, mostly do the hobby's bias towards non-caucasian's

I don't agree with that. Look at Abreu stuff. What about Puig? Long term, what about a guy like Pujols. Even A-Rod, until he screwed up. I don't think collectors focus on race when collecting. Some of the best players in today's game aren't white. And they are heavily and expensively collected.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I think he's going to be halfway between Edgar Renteria and Hanley Ramirez at the bat. Average 20+ HR, 80 RBI+ and .280 Avg. Some years he will hit close to 30 HR and drive in 100. Fun watching him learn to launch this year. Batting cleanup has been great for him.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
It's alway impressive when you have left fielder/third baseman type of offensive production out of a middle infielder. He's no doubt one of the better overall SS in the game and has a shot to rack up a ton of career hits with starting so young. I used to think Rick Porcello and Starlin Castro were similar in that regard...they both have a shot at 3000 hits/300 wins due to such early starts...but so far Porcello hasn't been as good as expected so that may not be a valid comp anymore.

The other thing to consider is that if the Cubs' farm system pans out, he's going to have some awesome hitters around him and that should only help his numbers and production. Long term I see him as an occasional All Star who could eventually become somewhat of a household name for baseball fans when the Cubs start to contend and get more exposure.

Members online

Latest posts