Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I was looking through an old box and came across a couple 1983 Topps Traded Strawberry cards in pretty good condition. I've been thinking of sending them to PSA to have graded but just not sure that it's worth it long term because Strawberry will never be a Hall of Famer. Long term, do you think Strawberry's cards have a chance to increase a good amount in value mainly due to diehard Mets collectors or not so much because of his well-known personal problems?

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Strawberry has some loyal collectors, but I wouldn’t see him as investable. Have you checked the PSA population report on the card?

WaxPax

I was looking through an old box and came across a couple 1983 Topps Traded Strawberry cards in pretty good condition. I've been thinking of sending them to PSA to have graded but just not sure that it's worth it long term because Strawberry will never be a Hall of Famer. Long term, do you think Strawberry's cards have a chance to increase a good amount in value mainly due to diehard Mets collectors or not so much because of his well-known personal problems?

As a Mets fan and collector I would pass on the PSA submission unless you know the cards are flawless, even then, there isn't going to be much of a long term increase....600 10's and 1400 9's at PSA, 87 9.5's at BGS

SNvHWDOl.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was just scoping out his stats. He was definitely on the way to a very possible HOF career. During his 20s, he was excellent. Then he turned 30 and looks to have completely fallen apart. With the exception of one odd year (1998), where he was showing some signs of the old player he once was, he hardly played most years and his numbers were a shadow of his former self.

I didn't follow the game closely in those days. Does anyone know what actually happened? It was literally like a switch was flipped and we went from good to average at best. Injuries, drugs, personality?

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I was just scoping out his stats. He was definitely on the way to a very possible HOF career. During his 20s, he was excellent. Then he turned 30 and looks to have completely fallen apart. With the exception of one odd year (1998), where he was showing some signs of the old player he once was, he hardly played most years and his numbers were a shadow of his former self.

I didn't follow the game closely in those days. Does anyone know what actually happened? It was literally like a switch was flipped and we went from good to average at best. Injuries, drugs, personality?

Unfortunately the Strawman battled drugs and alcohol and even colon cancer in 1998 and later cancer again. He was suspended multiple times and had a ton of personal issues off the field as well, prostitutes, divorces, ect.
He had a very tough childhood growing up with a very abusive alcoholic dad which unfortunately seems to be an underlying factor you hear about so often with so many people who grew up in that type of environment.
You can't lay it all on his dad but I can't imagine what that would have been like luckily never having gone through that myself.

I think it's almost a no-brainer that if he hadn't had all of the issues he did he would have easily put up the #'s and made the HOF.

The good news though is that today He and his wife have founded a Ministry called Finding Your Way and he's been 11 years sober now. I've always liked the guy from all of the interviews I've seen from him over the years, besides watching his great talent back in the day, so it's nice to see that his story has a good ending after all.

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
As a Darryl Strawberry collector and fan for 31 years. I would say everyone has there struggles his were more news worthy because of his fame and talent! I met him for the first time last year at the Billy Graham library where he preached had dinner with him he was a great experience that I am thankful for. He signed and autograph for me. I shook his hand very gracious. I stared collecting him at the age of 8 and will continue. That's my 2 cents!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
As a Darryl Strawberry collector and fan for 31 years. I would say everyone has there struggles his were more news worthy because of his fame and talent! I met him for the first time last year at the Billy Graham library where he preached had dinner with him he was a great experience that I am thankful for. He signed and autograph for me. I shook his hand very gracious. I stared collecting him at the age of 8 and will continue. That's my 2 cents!!

Very cool story, thanks for your 2 cents! I'd love to visit that library someday. Went to see Billy twice when he was at the Municipal Stadium in Cleveland for the weekend back in June of 1994. It was awesome!
Darryl was at a church I used to attend last September but unfortunately I wasn't able to attend.

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
If you want to sell them! I pay top dollar!

Chris

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
As a Mets fan and collector I would pass on the PSA submission unless you know the cards are flawless, even then, there isn't going to be much of a long term increase....600 10's and 1400 9's at PSA, 87 9.5's at BGS

SNvHWDOl.jpg

I have noticed on eBay that his PSA 10 - 1983 Topps Traded cards have been slowly increasing over the past month or so. They are selling for $30-$40 more now than a month ago.

Members online

Latest posts