Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993-94 Ultra Scoring Kings Michael Jordan. What the hell is going on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
So over the years I was slowly but surely putting together a master set of 1993-94 Ultra. I saved the most expensive for last, which was the card mentioned. Raws were typically selling for $200-300 which I thought was expensive for a relatively common insert. Well for some reason in the past couple of weeks these have mysteriously doubled in price and PSA 8s are now selling for triple of what they were. Now I will probably never be able to afford one. I have Jordan's Fleer rookie sticker as trade equity though.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Everything MJ is going nuclear. I rarely sell anything but I might have no choice now.

not sure what to tell you on the Scoring Kings. Every time I think MJ’s have reached new heights, they soar even higher

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Those were some of the coolest looking cards at the time and very condition sensitive.

Lesson learned, always secure the big $ stuff first when making sets. You can always piece the better stuff out if you give up the set, but as you see now, you are potentially stuck with the rest or you'll have to pay big for the one you need.

I'm glad to have secured the Jordans I needed for most of my 90s insert sets.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I agree with these gentleman. All MJ cards are absolutely insane right now. The Scoring Kings card has always been popular along with many other inserts but the sudden takeoff for that card and all other cards is almost mind boggling, although not completely as some of those '90's inserts are some really cool cards. Refractor versions in particular of all of his Finest cards are on the verge of delusional.

I have a Scoring Kings that I managed for $275 recently but that's definitely not happening now.

I haven't looked but IF MJ is helping to drive up the prices on those other SK's in the set then you might do well to just sell them off because you'll pay a pretty heavy price for that card from here on out I think.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Even if I can't afford the Jordan, I plan on keeping the rest. Along with the Scoring Kings, there are other cool foil inserts such as Jam City and Power In The Key.

And I just checked recent prices on Jordan cards. Base cards from the Fleer/Skybox metal brands have skyrocketed. I sold his 97-98 Skybox Metal Universe card a year ago for $50 and am now kicking myself for it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Shaq was the last card I needed for the Lenticular Flair Hot numbers set and was irritated that I was looking to spend $50+ to get one. I think I finally found one for around $40, but the set was finally done. Got that Jordan early enough as well, luckily.

Sadly, I still need the first year Shaq beam team and that one is probably never going to come into my acceptable price range, but once again, the Jordan was safely secured early on.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
When I got back into cards several months ago one of the first cards I looked at getting again was the MJ Hot Numbers. I passed at $300. It’s now $1000 lol

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
When I got back into cards several months ago one of the first cards I looked at getting again was the MJ Hot Numbers. I passed at $300. It’s now $1000 lol
$1K?! Wow...maybe I need to consider busting my sets. I probably paid $40-50 for it when I got mine.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
So since Jordan's cards are all off the charts, I have a guy that has a 1996/97 Bowman's Best Jordan Best Cuts BGS 9.5. Ironically the Pop report is 23. He's asking $2,400. The last ungraded sold 6 days ago for $1,401 but then another sold 3 1/2 weeks ago for $785. Another sold for $1,075 2 months ago before his cards really started to skyrocket. And although I don't put any stock into it, someone on Feebay has a BGS 9 for $9,999.99...Ridiculous I think.
Honestly I'd be looking to move it and make something off it, we'll call it quarantine money. It is the toughest insert of Jordan's to come out of that product but still, unless I can talk him down a bit more, that's still a lot of coin. I want to say the last one I saw sold for a little over 2 grand but I don't have a scrip to Worthpoint so I don't know what these have sold for past 90 days.
But suffice it to say it really makes no difference because his prices now are higher than I've ever seen them.

So if you guys have any thoughts or input on this I'd appreciate it.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Spammer. See how he slipped in a link that didn't belong in the original post that was quoted.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts