Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Stadium Club Executive edge gold??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I got mine in the mail yesterday. Overall I am satisfied with the card, but I'm wondering why the gold edge isn't on all four sides of the card - the left edge looks pretty normal. Mozzie22, does yours have gold on all four sides?

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Not saying that the seller did this, but gilding the edges is not that difficult if you have the patience and there is a fairly easy way to do it.

And hell, with these prices, I may start gilding every set I own.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Not saying that the seller did this, but gilding the edges is not that difficult if you have the patience and there is a fairly easy way to do it.

And hell, with these prices, I may start gilding every set I own.

I'd love to see you give it a go with one of your sets or a stack of commons for sh!ts and giggles. Just to be clear, I'm not challenging you or anything... I think it'd be cool to see if you can pull it off.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I got mine in the mail yesterday. Overall I am satisfied with the card, but I'm wondering why the gold edge isn't on all four sides of the card - the left edge looks pretty normal. Mozzie22, does yours have gold on all four sides?

I bought the Robby Thompson for a $3 accepted offer but, just like the TNP777's Butler the left edge only has gold on the lower quarter of an inch on the card. Nice looking card otherwise.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008

mine does have gold on all four sides.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
6 pages and nobody has posted a picture of one of these yet.
What picture do you want? :lol:

The damn things on eBay have the same picture! I'm sure they're hard as hell to take a picture of just one when any of us receive them... we'll see... for now, here is the eBay picture!

$T2eC16J,!y8E9s2figOUBRmr(Gp0,Q~~60_57.JPG

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
in the middle of a stack of 2012 Archives, with and without flash

Also, those that have gotten these - are yours a bit smallish? Mine is definitely not as big as it should be.

hx21l0.jpg

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I got my 3 in the other day. Your pic shows really well. I just took mine out of the top loader to size it up. It is a bit smaller top to bottom than other cards, but is the same left to right as other cards.

Also, those that have gotten these - are yours a bit smallish? Mine is definitely not as big as it should be.

hx21l0.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have a feeling Stadium Club was F'ing around with the idea of making gold sides and made a few of these sets to show to some execs or higher ups. Said guy ends up with one... Fast forward to today... This seller gets it and sells one at a time.

The quality isn't great and the stock clearly isn't all gold, so clearly it was professionally done, but like that video posted earlier in this thread, this is simply gold leaf or whatever professionally laid over.

Cool card but not all 4 sides have the gold right? Card is slightly smaller, does that hint at it being cut or something? Maybe 200Ib can weight in (no pun intended) with maybe what that could potentially mean from a production standpoint.

IMO getting your guy on the cheap is cool. Spend $100 or something is just highway robbery. Again, just my opinion.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The size of the card shouldn't hint at anything...other than cards can vary by size in certain batches and it's plausible that these measured slightly smaller and therefore were pulled for this "experiment." As for adding the gilt on the edge, it's a couple extra steps per edges once the cards are cut down to size. Basically, it's the same method as adding a gilded edge to a book...seal the edge so the ink/gilt doesn't bleed and apply.

It's something that typically would be done in bulk, not singularly so doing a 1,000 or so cards at a time would make the most sense...with each edge being done separately. Basically think of 1,000 pressed together tightly forming a "block" of sorts...seal the block, gilt the block. Each card will need to be "cracked" off, much like "cracking" into a freshly gilded book, or a new stack of bills, but they shouldn't stick too much as just the edges alone were stuck.

They've done it for decades with playing cards, so to use it for baseball cards seems like a logical idea...just never really came into fruition.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Something was bugging me about these cards, like I had heard of them before, and I finally found there was a 1996 Topps Gilt-Edge Football set. I don't think I ever handled any of those cards myself, and I can't find any pics of them showing the edges of the cards. Anyone have any? Maybe they eventually recycled this technology into a flopped FB set?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field

Also, those that have gotten these - are yours a bit smallish? Mine is definitely not as big as it should be.QUOTE]

That's what she said.

It doesn't take much for a print shop to lay some gold foil down on a brick of cards. Odd that this comes out 20 years later. I don't buy it.

Members online

Latest posts