Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2005 Fleer - Help Identifying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well! I had recently posted a few cards in my David Wright thread, and quite honestly, while I know the autographs themselves are legit, I have no clue exactly what set they came from or how to tell how many potential variations there are. See below;
Resized_20210828_192117.jpeg
Resized_20210828_192209.jpeg

So that's 3 autographs /300, /150 and /50. And two game used autographs /100 and /25. A friend had mentioned that they appear in Beckett's database as 2005 Fleer Authentic Player Autographs, but that was about the extent of what he was able to tell me. He also mentioned that the Wright cards are included in Beckett's checklist, but it only says there exists an autographed /300 and an autographed game used /100. And as you can tell from above, I have quite a few more than that. Another weird thing, nothing on the front of the card distinguishes one card from the other. No color variation, foil difference, die cutting or anything......just the serial numbering on the back.

So if anyone has ideas, please do share, I'd be very curious and grateful for your input!

Cheers, Mark

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That's weird. They don't have the set name printed on the back like most Fleer products. There seem to be only 5 names in the set, Wright, Miggy, Suzuki, Verlander, and Finch. I recall Topps started printing generic, unbranded autos at that time that they used for replacement/bonuses. I think Wright and Don Sutton were a couple. Could these be like those?

Fleer did have a 2005 set called Authentix, with an X, but that had its own logo used on the card fronts. I can't find any solid info on these, yet, either.

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I'm at work but they remind me of the 2005 Ultra Seasons Crowns set , which Fleer sorta threw collectors for a loop as it resembled the older Fleer triple Crown sets. Dont quote me though

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Here's my Kurt Suzuki from the set:

suzuki05fleerauto.jpg suzuki05fleerautob.jpg

As I mentioned in the Wright thread, Fleer shouldn't have been able to make a 2005 card of Kurt Suzuki since he was in the minors at the time (and presumably not on the 40-man roster since he was drafted in 2004) and didn't debut in the majors until the middle of 2007. This could be some kind of a "sticker dump" set where Fleer was getting rid of auto stickers they had on hand right before going bankrupt, and just said F it regarding putting an ineligible player in their set. The helmet logo is airbrushed though, so they kind of tried. Fleer did have a prior auto card of Suzuki in 2004 Hot Prospects, when the companies had that one year minor league exemption for a single set.

Beckett only lists this /300 version for Suzuki but looking around it also appears there are /150 and /50 versions, and like the Wright they look exactly the same aside from the numbering. So maybe all cards in the set have /300, /150, and /50 versions? I've never seen any GU versions for Suzuki.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Hello everyone,

distinguishes one card from the other. No color variation, foil difference, die cutting or anything......just the serial numbering on the back.

So if anyone has ideas, please do share, I'd be very curious and grateful for your input!

Cheers, Mark

Mark the FLEER CROWN LOGO A lower left corners has silver foiling on non numbered base autos ,and Gold foil on the numbered game used. Not it sure if you noticed that.

I get off work in 2 hrs will see if I can locate my paperwork on the bankruptcy sales stuff in storage. And any of my other Fleer sets that year.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Mark the FLEER CROWN LOGO A lower left corners has silver foiling on non numbered base autos ,and Gold foil on the numbered game used. Not it sure if you noticed that.

I get off work in 2 hrs will see if I can locate my paperwork on the bankruptcy sales stuff in storage. And any of my other Fleer sets that year.

All of the cards are numbered, there aren't any non-numbered base autos from our pictures. The /300, /150, and /50 all have a silver foil logo. Both versions of the game used have a gold logo.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
That's weird. They don't have the set name printed on the back like most Fleer products. There seem to be only 5 names in the set, Wright, Miggy, Suzuki, Verlander, and Finch. I recall Topps started printing generic, unbranded autos at that time that they used for replacement/bonuses. I think Wright and Don Sutton were a couple. Could these be like those?

Fleer did have a 2005 set called Authentix, with an X, but that had its own logo used on the card fronts. I can't find any solid info on these, yet, either.
Certainly is weird! And interesting thought on the unbranded auto possibility.

2005 Authentix was a different set, and these don't appear to be part of that's sets checklist on any of the database sites.

It's still a mystery!

delsant2

May 29, 2010

Yes, sorry. I should have bee more clear. There is no way to differentiate between each of the non game used cards and there is no way to differentiate between the two game used cards. The three look alike and the two look alike....all besides the serial numbering.

And thank you, getting any information from the Fleer bankruptcy you have would be super helpful!

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Here's my Kurt Suzuki from the set:

View attachment 311725 View attachment 311726

As I mentioned in the Wright thread, Fleer shouldn't have been able to make a 2005 card of Kurt Suzuki since he was in the minors at the time (and presumably not on the 40-man roster since he was drafted in 2004) and didn't debut in the majors until the middle of 2007. This could be some kind of a "sticker dump" set where Fleer was getting rid of auto stickers they had on hand right before going bankrupt, and just said F it regarding putting an ineligible player in their set. The helmet logo is airbrushed though, so they kind of tried. Fleer did have a prior auto card of Suzuki in 2004 Hot Prospects, when the companies had that one year minor league exemption for a single set.

Beckett only lists this /300 version for Suzuki but looking around it also appears there are /150 and /50 versions, and like the Wright they look exactly the same aside from the numbering. So maybe all cards in the set have /300, /150, and /50 versions? I've never seen any GU versions for Suzuki.
Ah, so there are more Suzuki cards as well (/150 and /50)? That kinda makes sense, not that this set makes much sense as a whole. Happy hunting ;)

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Ah, so there are more Suzuki cards as well (/150 and /50)? That kinda makes sense, not that this set makes much sense as a whole. Happy hunting ;)

Eh not really any hunting from me, I'm happy sticking with the one /300 version since I'm not supercollecting Kurt Suzuki or anything.....buuuuut I'll keep my eyes open now that I know about the two other versions so if I happen to see them real cheap I may grab them.

smapdi had mentioned the possibility that these were replacement cards for redemptions they maybe couldn't fill, which made me think of another possibility. They could have been autos that were produced just to provide to re-pack companies to insert in retail boxes that re-packed a bunch of random packs. Donruss/Playoff did this in 2002 with their "Select Rookies and Prospects" autographs. There was no 2002 Select set, those cards were just made by Donruss/Playoff for retail repackagers for boxes that had I want to say 8-12 packs plus an autographed card for like $19.99. I remember buying a couple of them at Toys R Us back in the day. Might have been something similar with this set, but that's pure speculation.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Eh not really any hunting from me, I'm happy sticking with the one /300 version since I'm not supercollecting Kurt Suzuki or anything.....buuuuut I'll keep my eyes open now that I know about the two other versions so if I happen to see them real cheap I may grab them.

smapdi had mentioned the possibility that these were replacement cards for redemptions they maybe couldn't fill, which made me think of another possibility. They could have been autos that were produced just to provide to re-pack companies to insert in retail boxes that re-packed a bunch of random packs. Donruss/Playoff did this in 2002 with their "Select Rookies and Prospects" autographs. There was no 2002 Select set, those cards were just made by Donruss/Playoff for retail repackagers for boxes that had I want to say 8-12 packs plus an autographed card for like $19.99. I remember buying a couple of them at Toys R Us back in the day. Might have been something similar with this set, but that's pure speculation.
Pure speculation, but very interesting speculation. And neat, I never did know that about those retail boxes. That's a pretty cool thing to have done by the companies, honestly. Good on Donruss/Playoff....although I am sure there was a monetary reason for doing it too....but it does come off as a nice thing to do for customers. I was always tempted by those boxes, seemed like a fun opportunity to rip a few different products in one box for a pretty decent price. Ever get anything memorable?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Pure speculation, but very interesting speculation. And neat, I never did know that about those retail boxes. That's a pretty cool thing to have done by the companies, honestly. Good on Donruss/Playoff....although I am sure there was a monetary reason for doing it too....but it does come off as a nice thing to do for customers. I was always tempted by those boxes, seemed like a fun opportunity to rip a few different products in one box for a pretty decent price. Ever get anything memorable?

I pulled a Hines Ward Autographics from the football version but I can't recall pulling any other interesting autos from the baseball and football boxes.

Years ago, a dealer had a stack of the suzuki which he said came from the auction.

I believe fleer closed up in 2005 before they were bought by upper deck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

So I wonder if these were intended for a release that never happened.

Originating from the bankruptcy auction sounds completely believable. There's still the weird question of what set they were intended for, though, since there is no specific set mentioned in the fine print on the back like Fleer always used to do around this time period.

952melvin

Aug 12, 2008

Very likely Fleer Bankruptcy Cards.

Lots of cards went out in the sale, uncut sheets, unsigned autos. 3000 Club cards saw cut cards, ones with no game used piece, sample, test cards, printing plates.

I have 2000 Greats of the Game unsigned Auto cards, blue ink Berra's and blue ink Stan Musial's (possible "player sample") are bankruptcy cards. 3000 Club cards were released in sheet form. Lots of those for sale online with numbering that doesn't match the original run size or hand numbered color or not hand written by the same person.

Members online

Latest posts