Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

4-1 as a starter. How is Tebow winning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I think this guys explanation is as good as any, because it certainly isn't Tebow's QBing skills.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/10128/tim-tebow-and-the-miracles

Let's start at the end, at the bottom of a pile-up of football players, with Mile High rocking and John Elway standing and applauding, Rex Ryan throwing up his hands in dismay and the NFL Network's Mike Mayock, who had spent the whole night excellently articulating the problems and promise inherent in the Broncos read-option offense, simply laughing. He, like most of the people at home, was probably thinking the same thing, invoking that one place Tim Tebow is trying to avoid more than anything: "What the hell?"

Yeah, the circumstances demanded such a reaction. If, by some tilting of the Earth's axis, that had been Brady Quinn leading the Broncos on a 95-yard game-winning drive, I'm sure he would have gotten a couple of man-hugs out of the bargain as well. But this was different. This was a team that had just received one of the greatest rewards you can get in life; the one where putting your faith in someone else pays off.

After every underthrown ball and every broken play, the Denver Broncos came back to the huddle with their heads held high, never showing up their quarterback, no matter how off target or out of his depth he was. And when Tebow couldn't get anything going, which, let's be clear, was the majority of the game, the defense came out and played like highly irritated Mongol raiders.

For most of the night, I was looking for a reason why. Why Mark Sanchez (who, for all his problems, has led the Jets to consecutive AFC Championship games) was getting nothing but shade from Plaxico Burress and hot, angry breath from offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer while Tebow, who was playing quarterback with the grace of an ice-skating Bambi, was getting the undying support of his teammates.

For the answer, go back to 3:55 remaining in the fourth quarter. Tebow, barely bothering to look upfield, cradles the ball and takes off like a Greyhound bus driven by a meth head. There on the horizon, he sees the usually unwelcoming vista that is Revis Island. And what does he do? Does he trot out of bounds and save some clock and spare himself the contact? Nope. He barrels over Revis like a hurricane, stays in bounds, and gets that much closer to the end zone.

That's why you block for a guy like that. That's why you run route after useless route and try to save play after broken play. That's why, if you're on defense, you are just trying to keep it close, just trying to ding Sanchez up enough to make him jumpy, just trying to frustrate the Jets receiver corps enough to make them give up on their game plan.

Because at the end of the game, it might just be 13-10 and you might just have a shot. You might just be 20 yards out and your quarterback might just be able to run like Mike Alstott. And with the home crowd losing their minds in the thin air, and the terrifying Jets defense on their back foot and everyone in America watching because your very average AFC West team has become the center of the football universe, your quarterback might just do the one thing he was put on Earth to do: make a perfect read on a safety who is overcommitted to the inside and take off with only one destination in mind. He might do what he said he would, what he asked you to believe he could do. He might just win the damn thing for you.

That's when you say, "What the hell." And that's when you block.

SilverandBlack

Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
Maybe all the parying he does is finally paying off. With Tebow at QB God must be a Broncos fan. All joking aside the kid has serious heart. Everybody doubts him and he just goes out and wins. I think teams will figure him out and shut him down at some point, but for now he may not look good doing it but he gets the job done.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I was keeping up with the game on mobile. When I looked at the final drive last night it had Tim passing/rushing for 92 yards of the 95 yard drive. If that is accurate it could very well be one of the top single handed performances to lead a team to victory on the last possession. Dude took over.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
SilverandBlack said:
Maybe all the parying he does is finally paying off. With Tebow at QB God must be a Broncos fan. All joking aside the kid has serious heart. Everybody doubts him and he just goes out and wins. I think teams will figure him out and shut him down at some point, but for now he may not look good doing it but he gets the job done.

I've always wondered if a college style offense could be successful in the NFL. I guess we're going to see how successful it can be. The problem is always going to be converting the third and long situations. Teams will put a spy on him and take the run away to force a precision throw. He sure is fun to watch though.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Tebow is winning the same way my Cowboys are winning,

By playing Awful teams that can't score enough to beat the Broncos above-average Defense...

TiajuanaDonkey

Jan 19, 2010
gt2590 said:
Tebow is winning the same way my Cowboys are winning,

By playing Awful teams that can't score enough to beat the Broncos above-average Defense...

all accept the above average defense part ;)

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Do you guys remember the Wildcat craze? Teams were running it, and it was working. Then defenses adapted to it, and it lost its luster.

Pretty soon, this whole collegiate-style offense the Broncos are running will get stomped, and Tebow will be forced to play big boy QB, and will most likely fail. He's barely scraping by now while running the plays he's cut out for. The NFL just needs to adapt to shut it down, and it will...it always does when collegiate plays are snuck into the pros.

Tebow just isn't cut out to quarterback a pro team, and that's just fine, because he is a collegiate god. There's no shame in being the best at one thing, and not being able to do another. Perhaps we'll even see Tebow transition into a Brad Smith role in the future, and he's just athletic and driven enough that it could work.

He's winning because the Broncos have played some less than stellar teams, and they've been able to scrape by with the help of a respectable rushing game.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:

Now the Broncos are 6-1 with Tebow as the starter. Not sure what the write was looking at, but the Broncos defense is pretty average. Ponder threw for 380+ today while Tebow only went for 200, but once again Tebow didn't turn over the ball and Ponder had 2 INT, including the key one with less than 2 minutes left that set up the Broncos winning field goal.

If the Broncos actually had a great defense, they'd be a tough team to face in the playoffs.

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
tpeichel said:
JoshHamilton said:

Now the Broncos are 6-1 with Tebow as the starter. Not sure what the write was looking at, but the Broncos defense is pretty average. Ponder threw for 380+ today while Tebow only went for 200, but once again Tebow didn't turn over the ball and Ponder had 2 INT, including the key one with less than 2 minutes left that set up the Broncos winning field goal.

If the Broncos actually had a great defense, they'd be a tough team to face in the playoffs.

I'd say the first was pretty key as well, since it did net the Broncos 6 pts.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
It was suggested that Tebow should be aborted as a fetus, and he was not. Tebow was supposed to be stillborn, and he was not. He wasn't supposed to play high school football per state law, and yet he did. This guy just doesn't know how to fail, and his success has me stupified. Even when he's terrible, he's a winner.

The Phillipines have to be proud of producing one of the hottest names in American football today.

FATBABY

Feb 19, 2009
Card Magnet said:
It was suggested that Tebow should be aborted as a fetus, and he was not. Tebow was supposed to be stillborn, and he was not. He wasn't supposed to play high school football per state law, and yet he did. This guy just doesn't know how to fail, and his success has me stupified. Even when he's terrible, he's a winner.

The Phillipines have to be proud of producing one of the hottest names in American football today.

I am going to hit the "Like" button on this one. He is a winner in life period! I have met the kid before he won the Heisman and I can tell you, he is a good hearted person and gives 100% in practice and in games! A true winner, regardless of whether most believe he isn't cut out to be an NFL QB.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Here's a weird stat. Tebow has only completed 47.5% of his passes, yet he is in the Top 10 for passer rating (for QBs that have played at least 10 games). His rating is in large part due to his 10-1 TD to INT ratio which moves him ahead of guys like Cam Newton at 82.4 (with a 13-14 TD to INT ratio).

Tim Tebow 87.9 (10 to 1)
Cam Newton 82.4 (13 to 14)
Mark Sanchez 81.1 (19 to 11)
Phillip Rivers 80.8 (16 to 17)
Joe Flacco 78.3 (13 to 8)

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Playing against garbage teams helps. Jets, Raiders, and Lions are the only teams the Broncos with a winning record in the last 7 games.

I will say Tebow seems to have inspired the entire team, but the defense has won all these games not Tebow. I get the feeling if the Broncos played the Saints, Pats, Steelers, or Packers they would get blown out of the water. Then again maybe God wouldn't let that happen to Tebow Christ.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Crewfan82 said:
Playing against garbage teams helps. Jets, Raiders, and Lions are the only teams the Broncos with a winning record in the last 7 games.

I will say Tebow seems to have inspired the entire team, but the defense has won all these games not Tebow. I get the feeling if the Broncos played the Saints, Pats, Steelers, or Packers they would get blown out of the water. Then again maybe God wouldn't let that happen to Tebow Christ.

How has the defense won all the games?

Denver Defensive Rankings
Passing - 23rd
Rushing - 20th
Scoring - 23rd

Take off the anti-christian blinders and look at him as a football player.

I agree with you that Denver would get thumped by the Saints, Pats, Steelers, or Packers, but it's mostly because the defense would give up a lot of points. (Look at what a horrible Minnesota team did with a rookie QB and no Adrian Peterson today.)

Members online

Latest posts