Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I the only one who absolutely DESPISES non-liscensed baseball cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
images

I can't lump them all into the same category. NT Baseball is my product of the year...and it's not really close.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
NT baseball did a better job than most.

Yes they did. Player selection is awesome, cards look very nice... and yet it's still not enough for me to buy it. I'm with Super Mario. The lack of team names and logos disqualifies it as being a "big league" card in my opinion. I would have bought boxes of NT if it had team names and logos, but the cards that Topps' competitors are putting out just aren't MLB cards in my opinion. I'm not very thrilled with Topps offerings either. Basically, I've stopped buying wax and have been focused on 1998-2005 issues and vintage. And it's a shame because I like some of the young guys in MLB, but can't get any enthusiasm to collect their cards.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
For me, the only knock on unlicensed stuff is that licensed stuff exists. For example, why buy a logo-less autograph of a player, when you can buy one that shows him in his full teams' uni that came out of a licensed product? The airbrushed logo's do take away enough from the card to be somewhat off-putting.

However, I am fine with the unlicensed minor league releases. Most at least say where they are from (e.g. "New York AL"), and for me that's enough. It's probably because they dont have licensed autos though, lol.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
No logos on helmets makes it feel like my little league where on side would put on plain blue helmets and the other side plain red. . . it fails to feel professional.

personally Id rather have a Miggy card with "MVP" on the hat vs. nothing at all.

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
I have essentially quit going after most baseball, with the exception of some Griffey autos and Cubs stuff. I haven't bought a box of baseball in a long time. If I have the urge to bust wax I get football or basketball.

Waxov

Mar 23, 2013
USA
I have essentially quit going after most baseball, with the exception of some Griffey autos and Cubs stuff. I haven't bought a box of baseball in a long time. If I have the urge to bust wax I get football or basketball.

this is what I see these days a ton. I would watch chri5 box breaks on youtube starting 4-5 years ago, and it was all baseball getting busted. . .Sweet Spot, Black, Exquisite etc etc.. nowadays if you go to his channel its heavy heavy football with some basketball. offseason doesn't even matter, football is dominant. people are running from baseball currently and its sad... hard to blame them, I would only touch Bowman these days.

Topps = complacent
non logo products = unwanted (in general)

:(

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Since mlb KNOWS BEST what all collectors want (a monopoly), unlicensed is better than nothing.

Outside of any prospect product, I can't remember the last time I've sold so many premium priced boxes as I have prizm.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Yes they did. Player selection is awesome, cards look very nice... and yet it's still not enough for me to buy it. I'm with Super Mario. The lack of team names and logos disqualifies it as being a "big league" card in my opinion. I would have bought boxes of NT if it had team names and logos, but the cards that Topps' competitors are putting out just aren't MLB cards in my opinion. I'm not very thrilled with Topps offerings either. Basically, I've stopped buying wax and have been focused on 1998-2005 issues and vintage. And it's a shame because I like some of the young guys in MLB, but can't get any enthusiasm to collect their cards.

It would be amazing if someone in MLB's licensing department would read this post, and realize that's how a lot of collectors feel.

saraceno21

Oct 18, 2012
Isn't prizm licensed by the MLBPA? I think we should support prizm so mlb will realize there is room for another company and they don't have to give topps exclusive rights. MLB is missing out on money the better prizm does. Money talks.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
As a player collector, I love the Panini & Leaf stuff. National Treasure is awesome, & Prime Cuts was good too. Topps has, God knows how many pics of Rickey Henderson over his long ass career and yet they seem to have only 5-7 that they reuse over and over again. Maybe they sold them to Panini? If I wasnt such an addict, I would be done with Topps until they change things up.

Members online