Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Poll with prizes... Signed Stickers on Chrome/Metal

How do you feel about clear sticker autos on Metal (similar to chrome)?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I voted no. I pulled a auto from the 2010 bowman platinum and they look so sweet on the card! To me it is more peronal. That player accually touched that card. Alot of people say "if it is the only way use stickers" Why would it be the only way? Just send them the cards rather than stickers. Before stickers didnt they juts do that? The player has more room to write what they want too. They went for sticker autos to save on money and time but yet still charge us alot for the packs. We spend alot for packs and autos so why not expect the best?

gomatt

Oct 1, 2008
I'd say yes. I think it's fine if these are extra added value cards. Certainly, people prefer direct on card. But if there are time issues, I think they are OK. I like the look of the new Chrome autos.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
Resident Piazza Fan said:
I voted yes, because, if that's what it takes to get some nice/better auto's in the product, then so be it. That being said, I think it would be a good idea to make it, so people can't do what some one above said, and take the sticker off, and put it on something esle.

This is why I voted yes.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Don't want to sound like a dick, but something tells me it would not be that hard to find A-list celebrities who are Ali fans and willing to sign on-card. If certain people will only sign stickers, screw em. There is no shortage of Ali fans.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
excel_B said:
I picked No...

Professional celebrities should be able to sign on card - people might take advantage of peeling the autographed stickers off and put on something foreign (such as paper, clothing or whatever). Can you able to tell us a few celebrities who would be in "Fans of Ali"?

Thanks, and good luck,
Bobby

In our first Ali set (not metal) being announced this week for February release, fans of Ali (with on-card autos!!!!!!!) include: DONALD TRUMP, MAGIC JOHNSON, ROY JONES JR., MICKEY ROURKE, NOLAN RYAN, HULK HOGAN

We may have a few SUPER stars who would do labels, but will not wait till later in the year for cards.
Since the hobby has gotten smaller (lower print runs and smaller siganture needs), many stars will do all signing in only 1 sitting.

Thoughts?
BG

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
stickers on chrome/metal looks odd to me, but it would be ashame to exclude someone from the set if they could not sign the card directly. A thin clear sticker if done right might work

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I voted NO. Stickers on Chrome cards tend to look really bad. If there is a way to make them almost invisible, then I think you could pull it off. Otherwise, NO!

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
P_Manning 18 said:
Leaf said:
We have some celebrities that would like to participate, but would only do so if they could sign labels now for use then.

They seriously said that.... Id like to be apart of it... but only if I can sign a sheet of stickers.

Going out on a limb here.... I doubt they even know what the sticker sheets even are... let alone say they'd rather sign that and not the actual cards.

No, Donald Trump for example wants to sit down one time and sign all sigs that we will use over next 18 months. There is no way to print all the cards for each release now. So, do we do a deal and deal with labels, or dont do a deal.
If you say no, you can pretty much write off any A-List hollywood celebrity (we have done deals with Harrison Ford, Kate Beckinsale and close to a deal with Britney Spears) doing deals.

The money the card business offers is peanuts nowadays (even when we paid Harrison Ford $400 per signature!).
Something has to give.... either checklist quality or flexibility with stickers or much higher product pricing (which we dont need).... BG
BG

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Leaf said:
P_Manning 18 said:
Leaf said:
We have some celebrities that would like to participate, but would only do so if they could sign labels now for use then.

They seriously said that.... Id like to be apart of it... but only if I can sign a sheet of stickers.

Going out on a limb here.... I doubt they even know what the sticker sheets even are... let alone say they'd rather sign that and not the actual cards.

No, Donald Trump for example wants to sit down one time and sign all sigs that we will use over next 18 months. There is no way to print all the cards for each release now. So, do we do a deal and deal with labels, or dont do a deal.
If you say no, you can pretty much write off any A-List hollywood celebrity (we have done deals with Harrison Ford, Kate Beckinsale and close to a deal with Britney Spears) doing deals.

The money the card business offers is peanuts nowadays (even when we paid Harrison Ford $400 per signature!).
Something has to give.... either checklist quality or flexibility with stickers or much higher product pricing (which we dont need).... BG
BG

To me, that makes sense and is understandable. If they want to sign everything at one sitting, you're not going to have printed for 2012 already to have them sign.

As long as you work the sticker in where it does not detract from the card, I don't see the problem.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Ty Hope said:
Don't want to sound like a dick, but something tells me it would not be that hard to find A-list celebrities who are Ali fans and willing to sign on-card. If certain people will only sign stickers, screw em. There is no shortage of Ali fans.

Trust me.. not the case.
The celebs we would use stickers on do not do trading cards due to the small $.
To sign stickers is a "favor", because its ALI.
BG

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
beefycheddar said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
Clear stickers should be fine. 2009 Topps Chrome made the cards look like they were stickers and those looked fine.

!BzPkso!CGk~$(KGrHqV,!isEw5BWOuMcBMVMPZ0s6Q~~_12.jpg

Bottom line, if it adds value to the product include it. In a perfect world it's easy to say only include it if it's on card, but if it's a bigger name or a valuable auto then no one will complain they pulled it even if it's on a sticker.

Those were actually supposed to be sticker autos. That is why they had the design in for where to place the sticker.

Right, but I don't think it looks bad. The player signed inside that location, and if it's a clear sticker so it only shows the outline to make it look like this card it should be fine.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I voted yes b/c if you have no other way to get a big name into the product, stickers are the way to go, especially if the big name is willing to sign and you'd otherwise have to downgrade the name to find someone who'd do on card later in the year.

I don't think they will look all that great, but I think a clear sticker that is worked into the design of the card can work just fine.

Just wondering as well... do you get to meet all these people that sign, Brian? Or do you just work through agents of theirs to get the signatures? It would cool to get to meet all these big names and have some conversations with them!

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Leaf said:
P_Manning 18 said:
Leaf said:

BG

Whoa! You got Harrison Ford to sign? Congrats!

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Bill Menard said:
I voted yes b/c if you have no other way to get a big name into the product, stickers are the way to go, especially if the big name is willing to sign and you'd otherwise have to downgrade the name to find someone who'd do on card later in the year.

I don't think they will look all that great, but I think a clear sticker that is worked into the design of the card can work just fine.

Just wondering as well... do you get to meet all these people that sign, Brian? Or do you just work through agents of theirs to get the signatures? It would cool to get to meet all these big names and have some conversations with them!

In many cases, Yes... I personally get to meet them.
I went to Scottsdale two weeks ago and spent 5 hours with Muhammad Ali.
It was one of the saddest days of my life. It changed my life.
Off topic, I will be organizing a charity effort for Parkinson's Disease to be donated in honor of Muhammad Ali (details to come).
BG

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Bill Menard said:
Leaf said:
[quote="P_Manning 18":woofha2y]
Leaf said:

BG

Whoa! You got Harrison Ford to sign? Congrats![/quote:woofha2y]

He signed for 2010 Razor Pop Century.
BG

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
As a note, we would use a mix of on-card and sticker IF we did this.....
We would attmept to be primarily on-card.
BG

P.s.- I personally do not like stickers on metal/chrome. But, for a sweeter checklist????? Hmmm.,.....

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Are there any alternatives to stickers? Even the plain white pieces of card stock that were signed and embedded in the cards (like many UD USA baseball cards) look better than stickers. Would that be doable?

Better yet, if its an Ali product, what if they signed a boxing glove type material kinda like sweet spot? I know this is probably unrealistic, but ANYTHING is better than those damn stickers.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
No matter the product, stickers diminish the appeal of the card for me. For me, the idea behind an on-card-autograph is to bring the collector closer to the player/personality.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
If you had to go the sticker route, I would make the stickers clear and the size of the card that would be applied over the face of the entire card, giving the illusion it was on card.

Members online

Latest posts