Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone Here Play College Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
beefycheddar said:
If your year goes well, and you want a slot at the Cape League try out, feel free to contact me. I can get you on the list.

Pfft. you know the NECBL is better. ;)

NECBL just doesn't get the scout coverage that CCBL does. The NECBL is a great league to see if you can compete with good quality wooden bats.

Joe Nathan, Andre Ethier, Stephen Strasburg, AJ *******, Christian Friedrich all played in the NECBL.

I love the fact that it is a New England league. Traveling as a fan to away games in other states and hours away adds to the fun.

Heck, I've been to Newport RI for a few away games.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
beefycheddar said:
If your year goes well, and you want a slot at the Cape League try out, feel free to contact me. I can get you on the list.

NECBL just doesn't get the scout coverage that CCBL does. The NECBL is a great league to see if you can compete with good quality wooden bats.

Joe Nathan, Andre Ethier, Stephen Strasburg, AJ *******, Christian Friedrich all played in the NECBL.

I love the fact that it is a New England league. Traveling as a fan to away games in other states and hours away adds to the fun.

We get scouts at the try out day, but you have to be on the list to get in to it. I am more of a fan of the fact with the Cape that within a half hour of my home I can get to 6 of the 10 fields in the league.

We had a NECBL kid on our team this summer, Maxx Catapano. He won the game that got us in to second place for the season. He had a great game for us. Wish we had got that Strasburg kid.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
beefycheddar said:
vwnut13 said:
beefycheddar said:

We get scouts at the try out day, but you have to be on the list to get in to it. I am more of a fan of the fact with the Cape that within a half hour of my home I can get to 6 of the 10 fields in the league.

We had a NECBL kid on our team this summer, Maxx Catapano. He won the game that got us in to second place for the season. He had a great game for us. Wish we had got that Strasburg kid.

I have 50 min to the Vermont Mountaineers home field.

Now that the Vermont Lakemonsters are moving into NY, it will be the nearly the only baseball in Vermont.

We only have a few Colleges that play baseball and the Mountaineers. UVM got out of Baseball.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
I pitched at D1 Wright State (against ballerskrip and his boilermakers...we beat them twice including Gassner) I am in the top ten all time in D1 saves and hold the horizon league record for career and single season saves.

My advice to you is just be efficient with your time. Get your work in and get your school work in. Lower the load a little in the spring quarter and you will be fine. I made it through and got a degree in computer science.

Also, don't forget to have a good time. You won't get any real spring breaks so make sure you do some partying in the summer and after fall ball.

Mark

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I pitched for two years @ Campbell University D1 school in North Carolina and then pitched and played 1B for three years @ NAIA school in Ohio called Mount Vernon.

Like many have said before - it's a full time job ON TOP of school. But it is a blast - enjoy the ride.

You are only going to get out of it what you put into it - that I can tell you for sure.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
C-Note92 said:
vwnut13 said:
[quote="C-Note92":1mrpvzac]I'm starting my first year at Merrimack College in the fall, it's a DII school in Massachusetts and I will be pitching, just thought it'd be interesting if anyone else on here played in college. I would also like to know what to expect, I've been trying to lift during the summer and running to get ready but my legion schedule is rough with double headers or practices almost every day. Also if anyone has any good time management strategies that would be very helpful as well.

You gonna look into the NECBL for Summer playing?

If I can get onto an NECBL team I definitely will, it all depends on how the spring season goes though

Try out for the Vermont Mountaineers.

We make cards for the team.

dunn-1.jpg

Vermont, Keene, and Sanford all get real good crowds. 3,000+ at times.

Some teams, like Lowell and Bristol, get 50+.[/quote:1mrpvzac]

Wow, that's awesome, I'll definitely look into it, I'm actually from Bristol so I know exactly what you mean.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:

Wow, thank you, that would be amazing but I don't think I'd be able to compete with the kids in the Cape League yet, hopefully in a few years.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
Thank you everyone for the words of encourage, sorry it takes so long between posts but like you guys have said, it's like a full time job, but I love it. Had another smooth inning of intersquad the other day, 1 inning and 1 K.

jwc9p

Aug 25, 2010
Columbia, sC
Congrats on making the team. I was a walk-on at UVa and graduated in '09. I dont think anyone truly understands the time commitment it takes to be a varsity athlete until they go through it themselves. Lord knows my grades took a hit because of how much time I was spending at the field and sleeping to try and regain my strength.

As for the summer teams, I know some teams have tryouts but a very large majority of summer league assignments are set up through the assistant coaches on the team. Good luck with the rest of fall ball. It sounds like you are throwing pretty well.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
jwc9p said:
Congrats on making the team. I was a walk-on at UVa and graduated in '09. I dont think anyone truly understands the time commitment it takes to be a varsity athlete until they go through it themselves. Lord knows my grades took a hit because of how much time I was spending at the field and sleeping to try and regain my strength.

As for the summer teams, I know some teams have tryouts but a very large majority of summer league assignments are set up through the assistant coaches on the team. Good luck with the rest of fall ball. It sounds like you are throwing pretty well.

UVA very nice!

Ct Sox Fan

Aug 20, 2008
Connecticut
What high school did you play for? You mentioned you are from Bristol, CT. My son is going into his Junior Year at Southington High School and plays baseball. We play against the two Bristol High School teams.
Ironically, I grew up in the town you are going to school in, North Andover, MA. I did play one year for Wesleyan University in the mid 80's. As others have said, studying and playing a varsity sport is a major commitment. Based on the fact I knew I was not going pro and valued the educational opportunity Wesleyan presented, I gave up on playing while at college. I did continue to play in the summers for our local Legion team.

Good luck with your school work and baseball career.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys, sorry for the long delay inbetween posts but I've been extremely busy the past few months, balancing school, baseball, work, and a girlfriend doesn't leave much time for this, just figured I'd give a quick update.

Season started last weekend and we are currently 3-3, haven't gotten into any games yet but we leave for Florida on Friday so I'm hoping to get my shot then, I'll try and keep you guys updated as much as I can depending on how much time I have, hope everyone is well!

tm decomposer

Aug 29, 2010
First off, congratulations. Right now I'm at Siena College not playing baseball. I injured my arm during my junior year pitching (not even a pitcher) and that was the downfall of any looks I was receiving. I remember Stonehill College looking at me hard but nothing came out of it. From what I see on the D-1 level, the commitment is crazy.

Hopefully next year I can tryout as a walk on. Don't know where I'm at right now as my elbow still has tears in it and inflammation up the *****. Very jealous you are playing northeast d-2. Good luck!

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
tm decomposer said:
First off, congratulations. Right now I'm at Siena College not playing baseball. I injured my arm during my junior year pitching (not even a pitcher) and that was the downfall of any looks I was receiving. I remember Stonehill College looking at me hard but nothing came out of it. From what I see on the D-1 level, the commitment is crazy.

Hopefully next year I can tryout as a walk on. Don't know where I'm at right now as my elbow still has tears in it and inflammation up the *****. Very jealous you are playing northeast d-2. Good luck!

Thanks man, best of luck to you next year. And yeah the committment is insane, At the DII level they pretty much own me, I can only imagine what DI is like.

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
C-Note92 said:
Just thought I'd give everyone an update, even though most of you probably don't care, lol. Everythings been going pretty well so far, it's definitely a huge committment, We've been practicing every day, today was supposed to be my only day off this week, but instead we had a captain's practice. I've pitched 1 inning in an intersquad so far and I K'ed two kids and the coach told me that I'll probably be jumping right in and getting some innings. Definitely more running than I thought there would be, that's for sure. I'm excited for this weekend though, our first fall game is in Lowell on Saturday at the Lowell Spinner's stadium then we have a doubleheader on Sunday here at our home field. If anyone cares I will keep updating.
If you are a college pitcher, get used to the running. That is all our pitchers did during practice.

C-Note92

Aug 7, 2008
elmalo said:
C-Note92 said:
Just thought I'd give everyone an update, even though most of you probably don't care, lol. Everythings been going pretty well so far, it's definitely a huge committment, We've been practicing every day, today was supposed to be my only day off this week, but instead we had a captain's practice. I've pitched 1 inning in an intersquad so far and I K'ed two kids and the coach told me that I'll probably be jumping right in and getting some innings. Definitely more running than I thought there would be, that's for sure. I'm excited for this weekend though, our first fall game is in Lowell on Saturday at the Lowell Spinner's stadium then we have a doubleheader on Sunday here at our home field. If anyone cares I will keep updating.
If you are a college pitcher, get used to the running. That is all our pitchers did during practice.

Haha yeah I'm used to it by now, and Southern's really good this year, they were one of the teams that beat us.

DINANBBS

Aug 7, 2008
D1 Closer / RF as well

As everyone said its a full time job ... Invest in some good shoes for early morning running.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
If your a pitcher, I would advise against heavy lifting. I would concentrate on your core and leg muscles. I was a 3B, but do know what works. Good Luck.

Members online

Latest posts