Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Asdrubal Cabrera... WOW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 15, 2009
sheetskout said:
OhioBobcat3 said:
sheetskout said:
Alcides Escobar makes plays like that all the time. Deeper in the hole too.

With his bare hand and on wet grass? C'mon...

Here is virtually the same play. And Escobar does mind-boggling plays way more frequently:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15471105

Check out video of Escobar's great defense here:
http://mlb.mlb.com/search/media.jsp?que ... trackVal=1
That first link...Escobar is not deep in the hole onto the grass throwing it across his body, he waits for the ball and picks it barehand, Asdrubal was on the move into the hole as well.

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
GiantsSuperCollector said:
sheetskout said:
OhioBobcat3 said:
sheetskout said:
Alcides Escobar makes plays like that all the time. Deeper in the hole too.

With his bare hand and on wet grass? C'mon...

Here is virtually the same play. And Escobar does mind-boggling plays way more frequently:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=15471105

Check out video of Escobar's great defense here:
http://mlb.mlb.com/search/media.jsp?que ... trackVal=1
That first link...Escobar is not deep in the hole onto the grass throwing it across his body, he waits for the ball and picks it barehand, Asdrubal was on the move into the hole as well.

Exactly my take as well. No comparison really.

As for Escobar making these sorts of plays more frequently than ACab, I don't know about that. I have watched almost every Indians game this season, and Asdrubal has amazed on several occasions.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
that is an awesome play!

the one memorable top ss play that i can evern recall til this day was the ozzie smith diving to his left on a hard hit grounder. takes a super bounce up and while he's landing, reaches up with his bare hand and catches the ball, throws out the runner...sickest play ever. wish i can find that video somehow

dave

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I have to admit, I don't think I've ever seen a play like Escobar's, with the fielder backing up from the ball to catch it on a hop. You're always coached to charge the ball.

All those plays were great, stop hatin'. Cabrera's plays both look like he was surprised the ball hit him in his bare hand.

And, finally, since watching sports with my friends as kids we always tried to come up with vulgar nicknames in our mock PbP. Therefore, I've always read 'Asdrubal' as 'Ass-poopal'. You're welcome.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
smapdi said:
I have to admit, I don't think I've ever seen a play like Escobar's, with the fielder backing up from the ball to catch it on a hop. You're always coached to charge the ball.

All those plays were great, stop hatin'. Cabrera's plays both look like he was surprised the ball hit him in his bare hand.

And, finally, since watching sports with my friends as kids we always tried to come up with vulgar nicknames in our mock PbP. Therefore, I've always read 'Asdrubal' as 'Ass-poopal'. You're welcome.

I am certainly not hating on Cabrera's play. It is amazing. My point is that Alcides Escobar makes plays like that on a routine basis. Check the second link from my post above. The results are peppered with plays that put that one to shame. It, in turn, is a shame as Escobar is bound to get snubbed for the next ten years as it's extremely difficult to win a Gold Glove with his current offensive output.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
That's certainly a great play, but is there a reason why he barehands it? It seems like he could've put himself in better position to use his glove to field it on a bounce or even catch it in the air. Unless the trajectory fooled him off the bat, which it may have done.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Todd44 said:
That's certainly a great play, but is there a reason why he barehands it? It seems like he could've put himself in better position to use his glove to field it on a bounce or even catch it in the air. Unless the trajectory fooled him off the bat, which it may have done.

Well, it seemed like it happened really fast. You make it seem like he should have maybe tied his shoe, signed an autograph, had a cup of tea, got in a better position and then made the play. I think it went like this "Look-there's-the-ball-snatch-it-whew!got-it!!"

The one from last year is insane. Just catching the ball was amazing, throwing the runner out while sitting down was awesome, and the way he checked the runner at third.... WoW! He made it look like he doesn't really need silly things like a glove... or legs! :lol:

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
Great play! Cabrera and Peralta should both make it into the AS game. Cabrera has better defense though.

But I don't know how you Indians fans deal with Tom Hamilton ::facepalm::

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Cabrera's play was a MILLION times mnore difficult than Escobar's play. Both are nice don't get me wrong, but the ball that Cabrera bare handed was a rocket. Escobar did not have to go far back in the hole on that play and Cabrera not only bare handed his in the whole, but the throw does it for me. Cabrera's throw was difficult.

Watt

Aug 16, 2008
Cleveland
Firebirds11 said:
Great play! Cabrera and Peralta should both make it into the AS game. Cabrera has better defense though.

I don't know what you're talking about, Hamilton is great... He and Joe Tait are the two voices of Cleveland sports IMO

Firebirds11

Oct 6, 2010
Watt said:
Firebirds11 said:

I don't know what you're talking about, Hamilton is great... He and Joe Tait are the two voices of Cleveland sports IMO

The dude gets way too excited. I can see some excitement, but every play he raises his voice like a miracle happened. The Indians will be down 10-1 and LaPorta will hit a homer and he'll scream like the Indians just did something amazing.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
That boy can play some defense... Honestly I think that very D should get him into the AS Game... Jhonny Peralta & Him should be the pairing at the all star game but I get the feeling we will see Jeter & Andrus :( not that there's anything wrong with Andrus ;).

Shep

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
jbone17 said:
Cabrera's play was a MILLION times mnore difficult than Escobar's play. Both are nice don't get me wrong, but the ball that Cabrera bare handed was a rocket. Escobar did not have to go far back in the hole on that play and Cabrera not only bare handed his in the whole, but the throw does it for me. Cabrera's throw was difficult.

The point was that Escobar does it more often. And the plays weren't ALL that different. I think you're exaggerating a little.

Escobar's Defense > Cabrera's Defense

(I am NOT HATING ON ASDRUBAL! My point is that this play, although great, isn't CLOSE to what it would take to be the play of the year. I can come up with five or more plays Escobar has made that would put this one to shame)

Here's just one! Ironically to get....Asdrubal Cabrera

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14176405

"This is becoming routine for him...." - Announcer

OhioBobcat3

Aug 7, 2008
Ohio
sheetskout said:
jbone17 said:

The point was that Escobar does it more often. And the plays weren't ALL that different. I think you're exaggerating a little.

Escobar's Defense > Cabrera's Defense

(I am NOT HATING ON ASDRUBAL! My point is that this play, although great, isn't CLOSE to what it would take to be the play of the year. I can come up with five or more plays Escobar has made that would put this one to shame)

Here's just one! Ironically to get....Asdrubal Cabrera

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14176405

"This is becoming routine for him...." - Announcer

Not better than Cabrera's play from yesterday, but a great play nonetheless. As for Escobar doing it more often, I don't know where this is coming from. Do you watch the Indians every night like I do? I see Cabrera make outstanding plays all the time. That doesn't mean I'm discounting Escobar, as I don't watch every Royals game. I'm not going to say that one of them makes great plays more often than the other when I haven't watched both of them night in and night out to make a fair comparison. I would however say that both of them do so on a pretty regular basis based upon what both of us have seen.

Members online

Latest posts