Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Athletes are employees....act like one.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Like it or not, professional sports are a business, a big business. At the end of the day, athletes are nothing more than employees of their respected team. They are not part of management or the ownership group....let me repeat myself, they are employees but we call them athletes which holds a special place in our society/culture.

Players are paid and paid very well to take the field and execute the game plan. Posada is going to earn $13 million this year, he can't hit his weight and yet recently he refused to take the field. In layman's terms, he refused to work. In the real world he would have been fired....no need for overpaid and unproductive employees on the payroll. If the Yankees had the stones to release Posada, I doubt many, if any, teams would have lined up to pay $13 million for a 40 year old catcher who is struggling at the plate.

There is a buzz around the fact the Lakers didn't consult Kobe before hiring Mike Brown. Who cares? Kobe doesn't own the team, I believe that would be Jerry Buss who will sign Mike Brown's paycheck....right? So why should Kobe be consulting on the hiring process? He is paid very well and expected to perform at an elite level regardless of the coach.

The ego that exists in professional sports today has gone unchecked long enough that it has become detrimental to the product on the field/court and image that is marketed to fans of a "game". We cheer for uniforms, rarely in the age of free agency do we cheer for individual players. People are life long fans or teams, not players.

Perhaps, it is just the media trying to make a story out of nothing to fill air-time. I have lost track of how many times in the last three or four months that I heard an "expert" on ESPN radio declare a player or a player's accomplishment one of the greatest in the history of their sport. Really, if that is true then 2011 will be view by history was the golden age of sports.

When you add it all up - selfish athletes, inflated ticket prices, talk of lockouts - you begin to alienate fans and start to shine the light on the ugly side of sports - MONEY. Once the causal fan starts to view the sport as a business the appeal and magic with sports becomes lost.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
How would you feel if your Boss hired a new manager without talking to the team first? I mean it is one thing to talk to the team, get their buy in, let them know what this could do for the company and all that bull. It is another thing to skip over someone who has been working quite a few years to become that new manager, and when the time comes the company just SKIPS right over them. Now wouldn't you want the buy in from your employees letting them know how good this new manager is before doing some stupid shat like that? If that is the kind of team/company you work for or want to work for, then more power to you.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
You have to realize you're dealing with a collective group of workers that have the same level of education as a typical McDonald's employee. Throw in multimillion dollar contracts, the Alpha Male Syndrome, arrogance, a sense of self-entitlement, loads of people kissing their ass and loads of skanks ready to drop their *******, not to mention powerful unions backing them....and you have the perfect recipe for total douchebaggery

We aren't dealing with MENSA members here. We're dealing with Neanderthals who think MENSA is the name of a ***** bar

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
You have to realize you're dealing with a collective group of workers that have the same level of education as a typical McDonald's employee. Throw in multimillion dollar contracts, the Alpha Male Syndrome, arrogance, a sense of self-entitlement, loads of people kissing their ass and loads of skanks ready to drop their *******, not to mention powerful unions backing them....and you have the perfect recipe for total douchebaggery

We aren't dealing with MENSA members here. We're dealing with Neanderthals who think MENSA is the name of a ***** bar
Ummmm....effin' bravo!

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
alexs64 said:
sportscardtheory said:
I didn't realize that Kobe Bryant wanted to coach the Lakers.

I was speaking about Brian Shaw there genius...didn't think I had to spell that part out.

Off topic..

I'm glad that they didn't hire shaw, don't think he would be a good coach. I don't think Mike Brown is a bad coach, comes from the spurs(maybe he can teach pau how to play like tim duncan and not be so soft). Also he knows how to handle a superstar like Kobe(he handled the biggest prima dona in the league in Lebron and well for the most part). Plus Mike Brown might be able to teach the guys how to play some D. I would've loved to have Sloan but there wasn't much out there better right now.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
sportscardtheory said:
alexs64 said:
sportscardtheory said:
I didn't realize that Brian Shaw was a player on the Lakers.

You should get out more.

Why, because your analogy stinks?

I was getting ready to explain why his analogy was not comparing apples to apples but you were able to do so in such a nice and neat fashion I will just simply agree with your statement and move on.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
This is just a rant, right?

The ONLY thing that will change this is that we stop giving them money. Other than that, our opinions about over-paid athletes equal Kobe's opinions on how the good Dr. wants to run his team.

This is all about the free market. We don't have to pay, the owners don't have to pay, and the athletes are free to try other things. Good luck with all of that. Also, I'm not for breaking contracts, so Posada is getting his money. The Yankees should have thought of that when they over-paid him. And I like Jorge. If you thought he would refuse to play, make it a deal-breaker in his contract.

alexs64

Jul 28, 2010
Moreno Valley, Ca
muchuckwagon said:
sportscardtheory said:
alexs64 said:
sportscardtheory said:

You should get out more.

I was getting ready to explain why his analogy was not comparing apples to apples but you were able to do so in such a nice and neat fashion I will just simply agree with your statement and move on.

Why wouldn't you want the buy in from the player who brings in the most money for your team? Don't you think that is kind of a dick move? I am a Laker fan and I think that it was. Kobe (along with Shaq and Shaw) have brought Championships to L.A. tell me why it makes sense to not have Kobe's buy in?

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
When you can fire Kobe Bryant and replace his production on the court and revenue that he creates with a new hire, then he is just an employee. When you can't do that, he should receive perks.

Someone is looking for a job and they are one of the best at what they do. They have to choose between company A and company B, and each offers the exact same pay. Company A will involve the person in decision making that will influence the company's future and offers special treatment for being the best. Company B treats the person the like every other employee, and does not allow them to have a voice in company decisions.

Which job is that person taking?

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
JoshHamilton said:

We all realize that there are about 100 guys on the planet that can fit the NBA job description right? I was glad to get a shot at the NFL, but I realized in about 2 seconds that there are about 12 guys in the world that could protect Marc Bulger's blindside, and I ain't one of them.

Nobody else on earth can do LeBron James' job. Therefore, he kinda has a little more leverage than an accountant.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
ProspectorsAdvantage said:
Off topic..

I don't think Mike Brown is a bad coach, comes from the spurs(maybe he can teach pau how to play like tim duncan and not be so soft). Also he knows how to handle a superstar like Kobe(he handled the biggest prima dona in the league in Lebron and well for the most part).

As a Cavs fan, I will have to disagree with you. Yes, he is a good defensive coach but that is all. He didn't handle Lebron....Lebron handled him and simply ran the Lebron offense. That is why so many of the Cavs appeared to be standing around watching Lebron.

Just wait until next season, you will catch Brown standing around doing his signature pose - blank stare and mouth wide open. That drove me nuts!!! Sometimes he switches it up and decides to cross his arms and rub his chin or during a time out he likes to jam his hands so hard into his pockets as if he is trying to pull down his pants.

It all goes back to the blank stare....that drove me nuts. I swear, he didn't even have the clipboard in his hands during time outs when they tried to draw up an out-of-bounds or late game play. He was the head coach!!!!!!

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
jbhofmann said:
JoshHamilton said:

We all realize that there are about 100 guys on the planet that can fit the NBA job description right? I was glad to get a shot at the NFL, but I realized in about 2 seconds that there are about 12 guys in the world that could protect Marc Bulger's blindside, and I ain't one of them.

Nobody else on earth can do LeBron James' job. Therefore, he kinda has a little more leverage than an accountant.

And every team (other than the Cavs) could only offer Lebron the same amount of money as everyone else. So it's about situation, both on the court and in the front office. Owners decide what they're willing to let their players get away with in order to get their skills, and that's a sliding scale depending on how easy it is to replace that players value.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
muchuckwagon said:
sportscardtheory said:
alexs64 said:
sportscardtheory said:

You should get out more.

I agree with and have thanked your OP by the way. These players in all sports are merely high-priced employees who work under CONTRACT and can be "fired" at any moment and have no business getting into the decision making process or the money side of the business. They are key draws, yes, but that is why they make so much money. They are still just employees.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
muchuckwagon said:
ProspectorsAdvantage said:
Off topic..

I don't think Mike Brown is a bad coach, comes from the spurs(maybe he can teach pau how to play like tim duncan and not be so soft). Also he knows how to handle a superstar like Kobe(he handled the biggest prima dona in the league in Lebron and well for the most part).

As a Cavs fan, I will have to disagree with you. Yes, he is a good defensive coach but that is all. He didn't handle Lebron....Lebron handled him and simply ran the Lebron offense. That is why so many of the Cavs appeared to be standing around watching Lebron.

Just wait until next season, you will catch Brown standing around doing his signature pose - blank stare and mouth wide open. That drove me nuts!!! Sometimes he switches it up and decides to cross his arms and rub his chin or during a time out he likes to jam his hands so hard into his pockets as if he is trying to pull down his pants.

It all goes back to the blank stare....that drove me nuts. I swear, he didn't even have the clipboard in his hands during time outs when they tried to draw up an out-of-bounds or late game play. He was the head coach!!!!!!

Yea but to be Honest the lakers have players outside of Kobe. I don't remember the Cavs having anyone better than a role player. It was really sad they could never get anyone to play alongside of him, they were the best team in the east with one player, imagine if they had a resemblance of a 2nd option. That being said I'm not estatic with the hiring, think it was a little rushed but there really isn't anything out there. Van gundy? I would have loved Sloan but not sure how it would work out.

Members online

Latest posts