Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Game Used Sets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgerblue

Jul 12, 2012
Hi all -

Given all the discourse regarding cards with game used memorabilia (especially in light of rampant patch faking, topps mixing up 2012 TTT laundry tags, etc.), I got to thinking, are there ANY game used sets that still maintain their integrity and are worth pursuing?

I know that in recent years, card companies have been consistently using the vague legalese i.e. "the relics contained in this card are not from any specific game, event or season" and it's rare to find the source of the relic, such as a photo, on the card back, anymore. I know this used to be done - 2002 Fabric of the Game comes to mind. In my mind, this would make these cards and sets more desirable.

In another thread, somebody mentioned the Great American Treasures set from 2001 Leaf Rookie and Stars.

Alot of people are plainly against game used, and that is fine. I am well aware of some of the key argument points. However, I would like to know more about "good" game used sets, so would prefer people respond with any suggestions, opinions, photos of cards/sets that may fall under this category. Thx.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I liked the 2003 Topps Gallery ARTifact Set (jersey and bats). It had lots of the vintage guys that don't get oversaturated in the market with game used material cards (Edd Rousch, Chuck Klein, Joe Tinker, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Hank Greenberg, George Sisler), but had a lot of SP's that can get expensive (Eddie Mathews). Some are high, some are good value, but a cool set. I tried for the set as well, but it's a definite tough one to complete due to the SP's.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I love and am working on the 2001 Topps Tribute Retired Jersey GU set. I am partial to it because I edited the set and chose the photos, but I also know that Topps used third party authenticators for all of the GU items. There were a couple of items that did not pass and were subsequently excluded. Plus, it's a nice design and big, strong checklist.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
A-B-WEBSITE.jpg

C-F-WEBSITE.jpg

G-J-WEBSITE.jpg

J-R-WEBSITE.jpg

R-T-WEBSITE.jpg

T-W-WEBSITE.jpg

dodgerblue

Jul 12, 2012

Man, that FT Home Opener Souvenirs cards is sick!

Thanks for all the great input everyone. I just spent an hour researching everyone's suggestions on ebay, just to get a better idea of what the cards looks like and everything. So many good options!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts