Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best pitchers in baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Over the last few seasons there has been somewhat of a "changing of the guard" amongst starting pitchers, and I recently I've been thinking about the best pitchers in baseball. In my mind (and obviously others will have different criteria) to be included a pitcher must have had significant success at the MLB level, has to currently be pitching at a high level, and there is expectation that he will continue to pitch at a high level. There is a little give and take between those, but that's kind of how I looked at it. (So for me a guy like Lincecum, despite his 2 Cy Youngs is not included, nor is someone like Kuroda who has been great the last couple of seasons, but is clearly near the end of his career).

Please feel free to point out who I forgot, explain why my arguments are ridiculous or throw out stats to back my ideas if you are so inclined...

My top 4:

Clayton Kershaw - Hard to argue he is not the best pitcher in baseball this season with a 1.72 ERA, but that simply follows a couple of seasons where he won the pitching triple crown winning the Cy Young in 2011, and finished 2nd in the Cy Young in 2012 while sporting the lowest ERA in baseball.

Felix Hernandez - With 2nd, 1st and 4th place finishes in the AL Cy Young voting in 2010, 2011 and 2013 Felix has consistently been one of the best in baseball. This season he sports the highest K/9 of his career and lowest BB/9 and should be near the top of the voting once again.

Justin Verlander - His 2011 season was memorable and won him both Cy Young and MVP, and he finished 2nd in Cy Young last season. He's made 5 straight AS teams and while he has not been quite as dominant this season, (he's been far more hittable and has had less control) he still has to be considered one of the best.

David Price - Price won the Cy Young award last season, and finished 2nd in 2010. While he has dealt with injuries and a rough stretch on the field this season, he actually has the lowest WHIP of his career helped by a miniscule 1.2 BB's per 9 innings and has been dominant recently.

Best of the rest:

Jered Weaver - Injuries have slowed him this season, but he's finished 5th, 2nd and 3rd in AL Cy Young voting over the last 3 seasons.

Yu Darvish - Might move up on the list in the next couple of seasons as he is only in his second year in the majors, but he got Cy Young votes in his rookie season and has dominated this year.

Adam Wainwight - lost all of 2011 to injury and took some time to return to dominance, but finished 2nd and 3rd in Cy Young voting in the 2009 and 2010 seasons, and he's a top 3 candidate in the NL this season.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Harvey should be on that list

Not based on the criteria I mention above. Feel free to share your criteria and list. I'd love to turn this into a move dialogue.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
It pains me that Wainwright hasn't already won a Cy Young award.

He's been really good for quite some time, this should be his third season with a top 3 finish. I could see him breaking through one of these seasons and taking it.

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
I know he is still young and some people don't like him but I think Patrick Corbin as had a very good year. I'm not saying he should be #1 but he could have 20 wins right now but the offense struggled when you look at his losses.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I know he is still young and some people don't like him but I think Patrick Corbin as had a very good year. I'm not saying he should be #1 but he could have 20 wins right now but the offense struggled when you look at his losses.

For my list I looked for sustained success as a predictor of future performance, and for me a guy like Corbin has not done it long enough. The list of people with a great single season (or a couple great seasons) is littered with players who peaked for a short period of time and flamed out, and those players tend to not get remembered much. I felt like the guys I took did it long enough to establish some level of confidence that they can continue to perform. Obviously there are many was to look at this and Corbin has been extremely impressive this season.

dbacksfan4life

Aug 21, 2013
Arizona
For my list I looked for sustained success as a predictor of future performance, and for me a guy like Corbin has not done it long enough. The list of people with a great single season (or a couple great seasons) is littered with players who peaked for a short period of time and flamed out, and those players tend to not get remembered much. I felt like the guys I took did it long enough to establish some level of confidence that they can continue to perform. Obviously there are many was to look at this and Corbin has been extremely impressive this season.

I agree. Although l think Corbin will be 1 of the most dominate pitchers for the next century.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I agree. Although l think Corbin will be 1 of the most dominate pitchers for the next century.

Lol what kind of steroid makes you play baseball for 100 years?

And really....Corbin just has a nasty sinker, and has thrown more strikes this year it seems. Hitters will adjust.

Last edited:

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
My top-10 (as of right now, not career accumulation)

1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Felix Hernandez
3. Adam Wainwright
4. Justin Verlander
5. Jered Weaver
6. David Price
7. Cliff Lee
8. Jose Fernandez
9. Yu Darvish
10. Madison Bumgarner

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
My top-10 (as of right now, not career accumulation)

1. Clayton Kershaw
2. Felix Hernandez
3. Adam Wainwright
4. Justin Verlander
5. Jered Weaver
6. David Price
7. Cliff Lee
8. Jose Fernandez
9. Yu Darvish
10. Madison Bumgarner

Harvey/Scherzer no love?

Last edited:

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
My Top 10:

1. Clayton Kershaw

2. Felix Hernandez
3. Matt Harvey
4. Max Scherzer
5. Justin Verlander
6. Adam Wainwright
7. Jose Fernandez
8. Jered Weaver

9. Yu Darvish
10. Matt Cain

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
I forgot about Harvey. lol I would have him in there somewhere. Scherzer isn't as dominant as most of these guys, IMO. He's just getting a lot of wins. I guess I could flip-flop him and Darvish without much thought though.

Not as dominant and just a lot of wins?

He has the lowest WHIP in the AL, .90ish.
Somewhere around Harvey and Fernandez on K/9IP like 5th or 6th in MLB.
5 or so K's less than Kershaw
somewhere near the top on pitcher WAR.

Hitting support doesn't generate those numbers :p

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Not as dominant and just a lot of wins?

He has the lowest WHIP in the AL, .90ish.
Somewhere around Harvey and Fernandez on K/9IP like 5th or 6th in MLB.
5 or so K's less than Kershaw
somewhere near the top on pitcher WAR.

Hitting support doesn't generate those numbers :p

If I was ONLY going by this season stats, yes, he would be higher. But this is a list of pitchers I think are the best, as in who I would want on my team, and I would take most if not all the guys on my list over Scherzer for different reasons other than only this year's stats.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
If I was ONLY going by this season stats, yes, he would be higher. But this is a list of pitchers I think are the best, as in who I would want on my team, and I would take most if not all the guys on my list over Scherzer for different reasons other than only this year's stats.

Saying he is a guy you would or wouldn't want on your team (and I'm using he here as a hypothetical and not a specific player), would you prefer someone who has been consistent in the past years, with a questionable injury history, or a young up and comet with all the promise in the world? Basically, would you rather someone who is helping your team this season or this and the future? That could radically change someone's rankings.

Members online

Latest posts