Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blue Jays Trade Anthony Gose to the Tigers For Devon Travis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Ben Badler summed it up nicely -

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler
Great move for the Blue Jays. Dalton Pompey is their center fielder of the future. Devon Travis can fill a position they badly need.

(He ranked Travis as Detroit's #1 prospect.)

Jays, Tigers Swap Anthony Gose, Devon Travis
By Steve Adams [November 12, 2014 at 10:19pm CST]
The Blue Jays announced that they have acquired second base prospect Devon Travis from the Tigers in exchange for center fielder Anthony Gose.

Thoughts, [MENTION=2671]aarne13[/MENTION]?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Fantastic move for the Blue Jays. I am a big fan of Travis and not a fan of Gose at all. DD working his magic...........:benson:

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Wow. I have to admit I don't know much about Travis but I'm thinking he is an upgrade over Jonathan Diaz/Ryan Goins....
:)

I think Gose will still be a good player but it seems that Pompey is a legit prospect. Considered the best all around prospect in the AFL.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Pompey certainly impressed everyone during his brief stint at the end of the season, and he's from the Toronto area so he could be marketed the way Brett Lawrie is.

Gose has some serious jets and was one of the fastest in the organization, but his bat was suspect. Many in the local sports media questioned how much more time A.A. would give him after going up and down between AAA and Toronto like a yoyo. I guess now we know.

Goins I think will be like a John McDonald type player. Defensively above average, but a liability at the plate. I'm glad they got such a highly touted 2B. I've read that Travis ranked anywhere from 1st to 4th on the Tigers' prospect list, and will slide to 9th with the Jays.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Pompey certainly impressed everyone during his brief stint at the end of the season, and he's from the Toronto area so he could be marketed the way Brett Lawrie is.

Gose has some serious jets and was one of the fastest in the organization, but his bat was suspect. Many in the local sports media questioned how much more time A.A. would give him after going up and down between AAA and Toronto like a yoyo. I guess now we know.

Goins I think will be like a John McDonald type player. Defensively above average, but a liability at the plate. I'm glad they got such a highly touted 2B. I've read that Travis ranked anywhere from 1st to 4th on the Tigers' prospect list, and will slide to 9th with the Jays.

Really? Sounds like some may be overvaluing the Jays farm system. I would certainly place Travis within their suspect top 5. Great move on their part, for moving Gose a low OBP player with speed. Too bad he is never on base enough to use that value.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Mlb.com puts him at #9 on their top 20. It's hard to argue with the players ahead of Travis.

You mind posting that list? I find it hard to believe the Jays have 8 other prospects in their system that rank within the top 100.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/index.jsp?c_id=tor#list=tor

Daniel Norris
Aaron Sanchez
Dalton Pompey
Jeff Hoffman
Roberto Osuna
Max Pentecost
Mitch Nay
Franklin Barreto

Certainly there are names that deserve to be in front of Travis on that list but I do not give it much credence. Look at the power numbers assigned to the bats in front of Travis on that list, yet Travis is ranked lower in that department than all of them in the number assigned to power. Travis produced his numbers, where the others are projection. I would be comfortable dropping Sanchez from the top 5, moving the others a notch and placing Travis at 5. Just my take on it.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Certainly there are names that deserve to be in front of Travis on that list but I do not give it much credence. Look at the power numbers assigned to the bats in front of Travis on that list, yet Travis is ranked lower in that department than all of them in the number assigned to power. Travis produced his numbers, where the others are projection. I would be comfortable dropping Sanchez from the top 5, moving the others a notch and placing Travis at 5. Just my take on it.

No worries! Just glad to have another top prospect added to the org. Travis will be given every opportunity to make the team next year. All these lists are always subject to change depending on the criteria. No guarantees either. Some guys fly under the radar and get the non-prospect status because they don't have any flashy tools.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
No worries! Just glad to have another top prospect added to the org. Travis will be given every opportunity to make the team next year. All these lists are always subject to change depending on the criteria. No guarantees either. Some guys fly under the radar and get the non-prospect status because they don't have any flashy tools.

Glad this came up actually, it forced me to look closer into the Jays system.

Members online

Latest posts