Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Could Leake steal the ROY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
r2d2 said:
Not taking into account Heyward right now, how is Laeke better than Jaime Garcia?

Garcia:
5-2
1.32 ERA
51 K

1.190 WHIP

Leake:
5-0
2.22 ERA
50 K (in more innings than Garcia)
1.233 WHIP

In reality, he isnt, but in the minds of ROY voters, 5-0 vs 5-2 means more than the differences in peripherals.

RCRX

Sep 4, 2009
r2d2 said:
Not taking into account Heyward right now, how is Laeke better than Jaime Garcia?

Garcia:
5-2
1.32 ERA
51 K

1.190 WHIP

Leake:
5-0
2.22 ERA

Finally someone is paying attention...Jaime has been lights out!!
1.233 WHIP

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
r2d2 said:

Garcia:
5-2
1.32 ERA
51 K

1.190 WHIP

Leake:
5-0
2.22 ERA
1.233 WHIP

Maybe tonight's primetime TV start will give Garcia some more national spotlight and love.

RCRX

Sep 4, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
r2d2 said:

Garcia:
5-2
1.32 ERA
51 K

1.190 WHIP

Leake:
5-0
2.22 ERA
1.233 WHIP

In reality, he isnt, but in the minds of ROY voters, 5-0 vs 5-2 means more than the differences in peripherals.
Wins mean more??? Tell Adam Wainwright that... I dont think wins mean as much in ROY as they do in CY ..wins is not the only thing to look at

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
RCRX said:
Jays_Cards said:
r2d2 said:

Garcia:
5-2
1.32 ERA
51 K

1.190 WHIP

Leake:
5-0
2.22 ERA
1.233 WHIP

Wins mean more??? Tell Adam Wainwright that... I dont think wins mean as much in ROY as they do in CY ..wins is not the only thing to look at

I believe I prefaced my post by saying that Garcia has been better so far, but voters always seem to favor a pitcher with a better record, especially when the peripherals are close. The Waino comp isnt viable due to the fact that the peripherals were significantly in Lincys favor.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
ROLLTIDE4LIFE said:
For you guys talking Heyward down tell me you aren't serious. Please, please tell me that.

No one is talking him down, but to say he has the award locked up a week into June and when there are other big contenders out there is complete insanity.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
schmidtfan20 said:
What the guy has done so far is mighty impressive and a key to the Reds good season. I know Stras will come up
and win 20 but this guy has a 5 game head start, any chance?

Kevin

Stras will be on a 110 inning limit. No way he wins 20 games this year.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Can Garcia prove that he can get through the season (TJ arm) before card fans annoint him Bob Gibson Jr? Good season while playing for one of the best NL teams for the past decade.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
jbhofmann said:
Can Garcia prove that he can get through the season (TJ arm) before card fans annoint him Bob Gibson Jr? Good season while playing for one of the best NL teams for the past decade.

What does the Cards being a good team for the last decade have anything to do with him being a 1st year pitcher???

4 of his outings this year he has given up 0 runs and has 1 win to show for those wonderful performances

Not to mention he has not given up more than 2 Earned runs in any of his 11 starts and only has a 5-2 record.

It doesn't matter how good the team was 10 years before he got there...if they can't get you wins when you give up no runs...let alone 2, you can't really use that as a plus for him

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
lordsepic said:
jbhofmann said:

What does the Cards being a good team for the last decade have anything to do with him being a 1st year pitcher???

4 of his outings this year he has given up 0 runs and has 1 win to show for those wonderful performances

Not to mention he has not given up more than 2 Earned runs in any of his 11 starts and only has a 5-2 record.

It doesn't matter how good the team was 10 years before he got there...if they can't get you wins when you give up no runs...let alone 2, you can't really use that as a plus for him

Typo by me. My whole point was that the Cards have other well established pitchers that they rely on. The Reds NEED wins from Leake and they have gotten that performance almost every time.

But don't skip over the first part of my post. Let's wait until August and see both their arms hold up before any serious talk.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Heyward leads all rookies in just about every hitting category and with his skill set and a full season worth of at bats will take the ROY award.

Leake won't go undefeated all season, won't hit over .400 all season, and he (and Garcia for that matter) will be completely overshadowed by Stephen Strasburg...even during Strasburg's mediocre starts.

bradical

Jun 21, 2009
rico08 said:
Heyward leads all rookies in just about every hitting category and with his skill set and a full season worth of at bats will take the ROY award.

He has yet to play a full season at any level, so only time will tell if he holds up under 162 games.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
bradical said:
rico08 said:

He has yet to play a full season at any level, so only time will tell if he holds up under 162 games.

I can imagine Heyward played upwards of 200 games a year for most of his young life so I don't know why durability is even in your mind as an issue. It gets hot in Atlanta, but I think a 20-year-old can handle it.