Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cracker Jack! (No, not the pre-war era ones...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
Anyone remember when Cracker Jack actually had worthwhile prizes? Granted the 80's toys were flat-out awesome, but I also enjoyed the baseball cards. I randomly came across another old pile of random cards and dug these out... I only have those few from 1992 & 1991, but I have a bunch from 1997 (actually, in addition to the ones shown below, turns out I have the complete set minus Mike Piazza).

The McGwire disc is something random I have, not sure why.

crackerjackfronts.jpg

crackerjackbacks.jpg

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
I think I read somewhere that PSA won't grade the 1991 Topps Cracker Jack cards because of the presence of the uncut sheets.

srstetler

Apr 2, 2010
Maryland
Thanks for sharing these pics. Great bunch of players and some familiar faces! My first foray into collecting, back in the 80s, was trying to put together a player collection of Ruben Sierra and I enjoy seeing a couple of his cards. Thanks.

PS: There's something about eating popcorn from a box that just feels right!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
ignition said:
I think I read somewhere that PSA won't grade the 1991 Topps Cracker Jack cards because of the presence of the uncut sheets.

They won't grade the 1991 4-in-1s because of uncut sheets and the lack of documentation supporting the 4-in-1s being produced in any kind of promotion. That said, the individual cards they'll certainly grade.

Almost every set produced has uncut sheets somewhere; they'd have few cards to grade if they took that policy.

ignition

Jul 29, 2010
BunchOBull said:
ignition said:

They won't grade the 1991 4-in-1s because of uncut sheets and the lack of documentation supporting the 4-in-1s being produced in any kind of promotion. That said, the individual cards they'll certainly grade.

Almost every set produced has uncut sheets somewhere; they'd have few cards to grade if they took that policy.

Good call about the uncut sheets... my thoughts, though, were that there were stolen uncut sheets, not the 4-1 promos.

Ah well, the song remains the same - they don't make 'em like they used to. It really seems like between a 3-4 year period the Cracker Jack toys went from awesome, to respectable, to downright lame. Once the advent of the "no actual wrapper" toys came around, everything went downhill fast. I remember in 1998 or 1999, instead of cards they started putting in "stadium facts" about MLB stadiums. These may have been cool if they, you know, put pictures of the stadium on there, but instead they just had a generic drawing of a baseball stadium.

Members online

Latest posts