Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone PC Max? Why not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
So Max is .665 winning %, 10.7 K/9, 3 CYs, 2 WS rings, 8x AS, a 20 K 9 inning game ( statistically THE HARDEST pitching achievement of all), almost 3000Ks and could conceivably get to 300 Wins. Yet, seems to get no love.

Is anyone PCing him? If not, do you avoid him? Why?

If I wasn't a lifetime deep into Clemens I would be PCing him.

Discuss!

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
So Max is .665 winning %, 10.7 K/9, 3 CYs, 2 WS rings, 8x AS, a 20 K 9 inning game ( statistically THE HARDEST pitching achievement of all), almost 3000Ks and could conceivably get to 300 Wins. Yet, seems to get no love.

Is anyone PCing him? If not, do you avoid him? Why?

If I wasn't a lifetime deep into Clemens I would be PCing him.

Discuss!

Donutme

Aug 9, 2008
California
Clemens is the King ! Max was throwing B.P. in the playoffs. It could be the beginning of the end for his career. Kershaw, Verlander , and Max are all winding down.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Clemens is the King ! Max was throwing B.P. in the playoffs. It could be the beginning of the end for his career. Kershaw, Verlander , and Max are all winding down.
Well yeah, we know Rocket is the King lol. I think Max hangs around till 2029. It was a lil ugly in WS. Still he's HOF and 1 of 4 w 20K in 9IP

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I have a small batch of his base, low end inserts.

Love his toughness, tenacity, etc. And that 2019 Nats team.

Even a POP! figure with the two different eye colors...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Maddux was really the only modern pitcher I really took a deep liking to within the hobby. Since I stopped buying wax, my focus has been mostly Dodgers so until Scherzer came to LA, I was not really focused on him.

The card market has really changed a lot in the last decade or two though. It appears to be financially improbable to fully collect star players these days the way we used to be able to do it and anyone who came up in the mid 2000s or later seems especially difficult, at least to me. I guess you can go the budget route and collect base and inserts (which is kind of boring) and leave the big stuff to the prospectors/flippers or deep pocket collectors who can collect who they like without concern.

I am not sure we'll see any Scherzer Dodger autos, which sucks. At the same time, I probably couldn't afford to add it, like Betts, Kershaw, Freeman, Pujols, etc typically were. Now there is talk of Ohtani going to LA possibly. To me, that is just another high end superstar auto I probably won't be able to afford.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
From a hobby standpoint, I think Scherzer's issue is that his first really great season was his 6th year in the Majors at age 28. By then he was on his 2nd team. He didn't win his 100th game until he was 30 at which point he was on his 3rd team. As of 2023, he has played for 6 teams.

He reminds me a bit of Randy Johnson, without quite the level of sustained dominance. His career totals are similar to Verlander, but he never had a season like Verlander's triple crown year. Interestingly, Scherzer has never led the league in ERA. He should be an easy HOF, but in a world where Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez don't have huge hobby followings, Scherzer doesn't have much of a shot.

Compare to Verlander and Kershaw who saw success and built a following from a younger age.

(FWIW, over the years I have acquired 2 of the 2007 Donruss Elite Auto Red /12 since I think they are significantly undervalued for the caliber pitcher he is.)

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I have collected him because of his days at Mizzou. I have a couple RC's and some Team USA auto's and one, I believe, in a Tigers uni.

Members online

Latest posts