Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Don Gullett, former pitcher for Reds and Yankees, has passed away at age 73

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This just continues to reinforce the fact that I want to be retired as soon as i can swing it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Goes from the Big Red Machine winning two rings to the Yankees at the start of their 70s dynasty. He didn't play in the 1978 postseason but I assume he got a ring that year, and never pitched again.

An aching left shoulder limited Gullett to only eight appearances in 1978. Before he could make his first start, he was placed on the disabled list. After coming off the DL on June 3, he won four of his first six starts, and pitched two complete games. On July 9 he faced the Milwaukee Brewers and could not get out of the first inning. He allowed four runs on three hits and four bases on balls in two-thirds of an inning and was charged with the loss. It was the last time he ever pitched in the majors, his playing career over at the age of 27. On September 29 he underwent surgery for a double tear of his rotator cuff. Although unable to play in the 1978 World Series, he was on the Yankees’ roster. Gullett is one of the few men in the history of baseball to be on the roster of four consecutive World Series champions—Cincinnati in 1975 and 1976 and the Yankees in 1977 and 1978.
from https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/Don-Gullett/

Members online

Latest posts