Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay listing - What's more attractive (shipping costs vs. free shipping)?

Shipping Costs vs. Free Shipping

• $1.99 + $2.00 Shipping

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • $3.99 + Free Shipping

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I was curious as to what everyone thought would look more attractive to a buyer. Starting listing price would be as follows:

$1.99 + $2.00 shipping
$3.99 + Free Shipping

Now obviously it's the same amount, but as a buyer would you be attracted more towards the $1.99 starting price or the higher price plus free shipping?

Basically what it comes down to (hobby related) is that I have been buying larger lots and going to piece them out so just looking for opinions. I know it may sound silly, but I am trying to look at it from a marketing/selling standpoint.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
If it's a low value card, such as you're example, the $1.99 +$2.00 shipping is more attractive (especially if you offer combined shipping).
If it's $10+, free shipping is more attractive.
Just my opinion, of course.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
If it's a low value card, such as you're example, the $1.99 +$2.00 shipping is more attractive (especially if you offer combined shipping).
If it's $10+, free shipping is more attractive.
Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks for the feedback. Let's just say that all items are low to mid end. So from that standpoint since I would offer combined shipping rates, would it be better to put it out as $1.99 + $2.00 shipping in hopes that I get multiple purchases from the same buyer?

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. Let's just say that all items are low to mid end. So from that standpoint since I would offer combined shipping rates, would it be better to put it out as $1.99 + $2.00 shipping in hopes that I get multiple purchases from the same buyer?

Yes. If I can find an Auto of Susac on eBay for $1.99 for $2 or even $3 with combined shipping, ill go to their store and cherry pick a few other cheap things to add.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I hate buying from people that incorporate their shipping into their list price, especially on supplies.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
While there may be exceptions there is a ton of Behavioral research on the "power of free" and how people's perception changes when something is free. The studies recommend offering free shipping.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
I offer $2 shipping on any amount of cards won. Do pretty good, especially when I list a lot of the same set or player. Currently have all DSR ratings at 5.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I definitely do more business with listings offering combined shipping. Any chance of adding cards to an original purchase for free shipping or even reduced is certainly enticing.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine
I tend to prefer the higher price with free shipping because I get a few more cents of Ebay Bucks. If I there is combined shipping rather than free (no additional charge) I would be more inclined to buy a few more things that I don't necessarily need.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Looks more like the lower price with combined shipping is in favor, however I am sure the "free shipping" also appeals to various buyers as well.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I tend to prefer the higher price with free shipping because I get a few more cents of Ebay Bucks. If I there is combined shipping rather than free (no additional charge) I would be more inclined to buy a few more things that I don't necessarily need.

That's very interesting. You are right though, ebay bucks don't apply to shipping, but I almost wonder since no one posted about it besides you that if no one really takes that into consideration. In fact, I will admit, I never thought about that till now. Makes me really think now.

Mainah

May 28, 2013
Maine
Another reason I don't like free shipping is because I'm afraid the seller is going to send it in a PWE.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
As others have mentioned, it's generally better to add a shipping cost and offer shipping discounts for multiple items purchased, particularly for lower priced items.

Members online

Latest posts