Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay Search Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't like this as a buyer.

I understand, but in the long term fewer unprofessional sellers is better for the hobby, it works out in a way.

As if there weren't enough already, I see more and more guys spending their time trying to find and flip cards on eBay now... :benson:

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
This is a good thing, I see this as a move to maximize professional sellers who actually know what they're talking about - in order for sellers to maximize their revenue, sellers will have to use the right title. We should see far fewer stupid titles and fewer unprofessional sellers now.

Absolutely ridiculous. I'd rather have more "unprofessional" item titles than take 4x as long to search for something. Now instead of searching "chrome auto* ref*", I have to search:

Chrome auto ref
Chrome autograph ref
Chrome auto refractor
Chrome autograph refractor
Chrome autographed refractor

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Absolutely ridiculous. I'd rather have more "unprofessional" item titles than take 4x as long to search for something. Now instead of searching "chrome auto* ref*", I have to search:

Chrome auto ref
Chrome autograph ref
Chrome auto refractor
Chrome autograph refractor
Chrome autographed refractor

AND even after all of that, I will STILL miss the auction where the seller accidentally titled it as a "refarctor"

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
I have about 50 saved searches and about 70% of them use the *. A couple of my searches are 2 or 3 searches long because they use too many characters for ebay to handle. And that is with using the *! I'm really unhappy about this change and am uncertain how my searches will adjust. If they were to take out using parenthesis, I don't think it would be possible for me to use the site anymore.

JustinG08

Aug 9, 2008
Clearwater, FL
It just stopped working for me while searching active listings. I can't for the life of me understand where anyone would think this is a good idea. This really sucks and totally f-ed up all my saved searches..:evil:

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
It just stopped working for me while searching active listings. I can't for the life of me understand where anyone would think this is a good idea. This really sucks and totally f-ed up all my saved searches..:evil:

Instead of using the * you can use the (). For example (auto, autograph, autographs, autographed). It is more work but you get the same results.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
OMG, if they get rid of parenthesis, it will ruin ebay for me as a buyer. The things I use the most are (...) and * and -(...)

I think we're hosed. I compared searches of "FOTG Auto*" (143 listings) and "FOTG Auto" (289 listings) versus "FOTG (Auto,Autograph)" and have to conclude that parentheses no longer work since the search returned the same 143 listings as "FOTG Auto*".

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I think we're hosed. I compared searches of "FOTG Auto*" (143 listings) and "FOTG Auto" (289 listings) versus "FOTG (Auto,Autograph)" and have to conclude that parentheses no longer work since the search returned the same 143 listings as "FOTG Auto*".

You have to be kidding me. This isn't just annoying, it's completely unacceptable.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
LEAVE EBAY ALONE!!!!!!!!!
v47ast8875dzzd8.jpg

Wes

OG
Administrator
More details: You're receiving this email because we noticed that you are using a wildcard (search terms with a *) in one or more of your saved searches in My eBay.Starting on November 5, we will no longer support wildcard searches. We encourage you to revise your saved searches to whole words without the *.
Why are we making this change?
We've made many recent improvements to our search capabilities on eBay that now take into account many spelling variations. This has helped us to offer better search results to our buyers and sellers.
However, after November 5, your wildcard searches will not return the same results you're used to seeing. This means that you may possibly miss out on the new and recently-listed items that you're used to seeing in your saved searches in My eBay and in the emails that we send to you.
Here's how to revise your saved search terms
Replace any * in a wildcard search term with whole words.
EXAMPLE: Replace "Floral silk scar*" with "Floral silk scarf"
You can also include various spellings in a single search term by adding it in parentheses, with each additional term separated by a comma.
EXAMPLE: Replace "Floral silk scar*" with "Floral silk (scarf, scarfs, scarves)"
You can also exclude items from the results for your saved search by adding a "-(items to be excluded)".
EXAMPLE: Replace "Porcelain minifigur* -lot*" with " Porcelain (minifigure, minifigurines) -(lot, lots)"
Please update your saved searches today, so you can stay on top of the things you're most interested in finding on eBay.
Thanks for shopping on eBay!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts