Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Every year during the NBA playoffs I am reminded of a basketball tragedy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Growing up in Hawaii, with nothing even close to a "home" team to root for, you end up developing different allegiances in terms of the teams you root for. Now, after having lived in Seattle for 5 years, Seattle became my second home and the sports teams there are now a part of me as well. However, before all that, when I was younger, I had an aunt in Sacramento, and knowing I was a sports fan, she would send me Kings memorabilia for Christmas/birthdays. Thus, I became a Kings fan. They had some pretty woeful years in my early childhood but by the late 90's they began to put something together. By 00-01 I became an even more hardcore fan. Not only were they good, but they were starting to challenge the Lakers, a team I absolutely hated.

Then came the 01-02 season. This was one of the best teams that I have ever had the privilege to watch, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The way they moved the ball was just a thing of beauty with highlight reel passes being made seemingly every play. The most astounding part was that many of these passes were being made by Webber and Divac, the PF and C. And the best part was, they weren't the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks, etc. This was the SACRAMENTO Kings.

I'm sure you know where this is going. Right to the tragic 02 NBA Western Conference Finals against who else, but the Lakers. Out of any professional sporting event, this series has had the strongest effect on me. I have witnessed some great wins and losses amongst the teams I root for, but this loss still hits me hard to this day. Even thinking about the Horry shot in game 4, the absurdly called game 6, and the almost in game 7 despite the previous events, still makes me sick to my stomach. Literally. And during every playoffs I inevitably find myself thinking of that team and what could have been. And every time I get a knot in my stomach. The closest thing I can compare this two now is the Seahawks loss in this past Super Bowl with one of the worst play calls in sporting history, but even that I doubt will affect me like this 10+ years down the road.

This article practically sums up how I felt and continue to feel about what happened that year:

https://northeastcollegehoops.wordp...ings-and-the-fixed-western-conference-finals/

I know not many come to the BKB boards here, but I just had to post this and share my pain lol.

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
The 00-01 Bucks are the same for me. I basically stopped watching professional basketball at that point. Ray Ray, Sam I Am and Big Dog, 1 game away from the NBA Finals. What happens? The NBA suspends the only big body Milwaukee could put on Mutumbo (Irvin Johnson), and he and Iverson sneaked into the Finals. I was convinced the NBA wanted Iverson vs. Kobe and purposely suspended Johnson to make it more likely.

Not the worst loss I've ever felt, but I feel your pain.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I've got those feelings from the Spurs / Suns series(s) and some if the Lakers/Suns ones. But when the suspensions came down again Boris and Amare against the Spurs it was so frustrating. It was a poor job of following the rules to a T, and possibly cost the Suns a ring. The crew with Nash , Amare , Marion etc were the what if crew here. Tons of talent, played well together, and didnt get anything to show for it.

Then I was (transitioned to a Cards fan) a Bills fan growing up til the Rob Johnson / Bledsoe days were over. And the first Super Bowl was probably the bigger shot to my guy in that sport. (Followed be the Plaxico / James Harrison plays)

Ryan

Orangejello727

Jul 7, 2010
I think the NBA games are fixed. Refs are given proper agendas by the league on "How to call " a game depending on the teams. That coupled with testimony from ex refs that confessed they made calls go certain ways for certain teams kind of ruined it for me.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Was pulling for GS last night but the noncalls on LeBron were absolutely ridiculous

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Was pulling for GS last night but the noncalls on LeBron were absolutely ridiculous

I agree that he has had some calls he should have got the first two games. But he traveled on one using two different pivot foots before the "foul", so that washed that out. I wish he didn't beg for calls the way he does at times, but I get he's frustrated at times not getting calls he should.

Ryan

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I agree that he has had some calls he should have got the first two games. But he traveled on one using two different pivot foots before the "foul", so that washed that out. I wish he didn't beg for calls the way he does at times, but I get he's frustrated at times not getting calls he should.

Ryan

The whole structure for the rules in the NBA is ridiculous. He traveled, but people get away with traveling all the time in the NBA. It seems like there is no consistency to anything.

Oh, and I hate the way they decide offensive and defensive fouls. Guys like James Harden show why those rules are broken.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
The whole structure for the rules in the NBA is ridiculous. He traveled, but people get away with traveling all the time in the NBA. It seems like there is no consistency to anything.

Oh, and I hate the way they decide offensive and defensive fouls. Guys like James Harden show why those rules are broken.

Do I understand traveling is overlooked a lot , yes , but not usually with changing pivot feet , more for to many steps etc. I just meant with that play it was karma , got away w travel , no foul called. But in general he has been hit across the arms multiple times , pulled on the back of his neck etc. w/o calls. Though he does get away w some push offs at times. Like you, I just wish it was more consistent

Ryan

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Do I understand traveling is overlooked a lot , yes , but not usually with changing pivot feet , more for to many steps etc. I just meant with that play it was karma , got away w travel , no foul called. But in general he has been hit across the arms multiple times , pulled on the back of his neck etc. w/o calls. Though he does get away w some push offs at times. Like you, I just wish it was more consistent

Ryan

He does push off, but there are others who are far worse. (Funny, I never expected myself to be a LeBron apologist but it's been ridiculous to watch)

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
He does push off, but there are others who are far worse. (Funny, I never expected myself to be a LeBron apologist but it's been ridiculous to watch)

Well as a huge LeBron fan I appreciate a non-LeBron fan coming over ;) I just don't see things with blinders where he can do no wrong. I'm excited for the series and the fact my oldest daughter asked me yesterday if she could watch the upcoming games with me , I like it even more ;)

Ryan

Members online