Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Eyepoppers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
non sport related. picked up this when they first came. some one offerd 500. glad i didnt sell it.
season 1

vlPooaz.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
New card year releases are always chaotic and full of surely regrettable purchases.
Not sold yet but the first 2021 Topps short-printed variation "Masked Trout" has hit ebay for $2000.
2021 Topps 1952 Redux Luis Robert = $355
2021 Topps 1986 Insert Jo Adell = $40
2021 Topps Through The Years Derek Jeter reprint w/auto and 1/1 stamp = $49
2021 Topps Through The Years Mike Trout reprint w/auto and 1/1 stamp = $595 and counting

These Through The Years cards are going to be a major source of pain in the coming weeks. Topps reprinted cards with autos, patches, and 1/1 stamps and buyers, and possibly some sellers, appear to think those things are on the actual card, not the card shown in the image. The Trout listing is particularly unscrupulous because it does not show the back of the card, which is where it states the card is not autographed. Way to go, Topps.

The Through The Years cards have a significant border design, and the actual card is pictured smaller than actual size. Stevie Wonder can tell what these are, they're very obvious. Sadly, our hobby is full of both morons and scumbags.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
2003 Topps Chrome Lebrons have been on an upwards trajectory all season. My wife freaked out today when she saw where these BGS 9s ended, at about $6000-$8000 each, up from about $3000 at the start of the season. PWCC and Probstein lead the way, but there are numerous others in the same range so it seems like this is the price now. She bought a complete set including a BGS 9 Lebron for about $300 a few years ago, and she's wondering if she should cash in. Stupid me, with 10 million cards over 30 years of collecting, I have zero Lebron rookies.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Looking at results from the Goldin auction last night, the high end used to look like Manhattan real estate, now is like Hong Kong real estate. Five cards over $1 million, several cards from the 2010s well into six figures. Just truly incredible numbers.

It's interesting that it's not only the gem mint 1/1s doing really well. A BGS 9(!) Kevin Durant Exquisite RPA #/35 went for $799,500. A BGS 8.5(!!) 2003 Finest Gold Lebron RC, no auto or anything, just numbered to 25, sold for $295,500. While I likely would never have gotten a gold, I'm annoyed at myself because I always loved the looks of that card and would have chosen that one if I was ever motivated to buy a Lebron RC. Out of my range now. And I have to wonder about this lot of 8 cards that went for $400. I've not looked them all up but that seems grossly overbid due to some severe FOMO or something.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Looking at results from the Goldin auction last night, the high end used to look like Manhattan real estate, now is like Hong Kong real estate. Five cards over $1 million, several cards from the 2010s well into six figures. Just truly incredible numbers.

It's interesting that it's not only the gem mint 1/1s doing really well. A BGS 9(!) Kevin Durant Exquisite RPA #/35 went for $799,500. A BGS 8.5(!!) 2003 Finest Gold Lebron RC, no auto or anything, just numbered to 25, sold for $295,500. While I likely would never have gotten a gold, I'm annoyed at myself because I always loved the looks of that card and would have chosen that one if I was ever motivated to buy a Lebron RC. Out of my range now. And I have to wonder about this lot of 8 cards that went for $400. I've not looked them all up but that seems grossly overbid due to some severe FOMO or something.

Is that the auction that had the server issues? I know there was at least one seller very upset about lost money, like $60-100k, on a couple very high end Patrick Mahomes RCs due to the outage during bidding.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona

Big question is, is this a bubble? I believe it is, but I don't think it will burst to the point were everything tanks to the extreme. It may all level off but I don't think it will tank. There is new collectors now. The ones that were in it years ago have come back, and the generation the skipped over the card collecting scene(besides Pokemon) have started in on the frenzy. I don't think it will burst anytime soon.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
2016 Topps Chrome 1st Pitch refractor Kendrick Lamar - $40 BIN and another sold for $45 BO. Another with a regular paper one is listed for $89 BIN/BO. Wish I knew these existed, would have gotten one. A Tony Hawk was also BINned for $40. If Jordan Spieth ever wins again his card could take off. And there's a Steve Aoki, probably would have popped a little when his Topps direct product came out. Actually, they did this set a few yaers. There are quite a few interesting names and prices seem to be trending up overall. I never really looked at these before, though I do have an Aubrey Plaza floating around somewhere. If Levar Burton gets the Jeopardy hosting job, all his stans might go nuts and buy cards.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Not so much an eyepopper but more of a WTAF (what the actual f*) was Topps thinking. I would've been highly upset if this was my box hit.

Leon-Wurth.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The worst from that set has to be:

2008 Bowman - Scout Autographs #SC-BS - Bowman Scout
Courtesy of COMC.com

Quite possibly one of the worst insert ideas ever, right along side Leaf's Game Used ***** Hair cards, and the ****** Quotes from mid 2000's Upper Deck.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
The worst from that set has to be:

2008 Bowman - Scout Autographs #SC-BS - Bowman Scout
Courtesy of COMC.com

Quite possibly one of the worst insert ideas ever, right along side Leaf's Game Used ***** Hair cards, and the ****** Quotes from mid 2000's Upper Deck.

I forgot about that one. And to top it all off, Topps couldn't even get their 'scouts' to hand-sign the damn cards. Not that it would've made it better.

Members online

Latest posts