Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Favorite and Least Favorite Stickers of All-Time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Well the sticker autograph has been around for approximately a decade or so and I while I typically shoot for on card autographs for my PC, there are certain sticker autographs that I find suitable for my PC.

The below items have all been pulled off eBay and none of them are my items, they are just being used to showcase the sticker used for the autograph:

$T2eC16h,!zQFIcm)o7FqBS,sZRIKEw~~60_57.JPG
In my opinion, this is possibly the best sticker that has been used because of its size to fit full autographs, and non-glossiness properties. These stickers are best suited on a lighter background.

$_3.JPG
The earlier Donruss stickers, which were a solid light color and typically a dark black autograph could be placed on almost any card and look pretty solid, irrespective of the background being light or dark.

However, the early Donruss stickers usually looked better with the rounded corners as opposed to the cut-out effect:

$_57.JPG

Unfortunately, the now unlicensed brand carries these clear stickers, which in my opinion are less attractive than the earlier solid color counterparts:

$_3.JPG

One thing that Topps has always been the worst at is producing nice looking sticker autographs. Only certain sets can pull off their current reflective silver sticker well (shiny/glossy finished products), while the majority just look like crap:

$_57.JPG

and while it has been toned down recently to a more transparent sticker, I still just can not stand the text and design accompanying the sticker:

$_57.JPG

Luckily, these two tones did not last too long either:

$(KGrHqZHJEUE-kQYhNl6BPyt4iq+Lg~~60_57.JPG

As far as Upper Deck, they've had some really down moments:

$(KGrHqJ,!rQFJJNvHbsiBS(0qsrKPg~~60_3.JPG
I was never able to understand why companies would add so much background noise to the autograph surface...all it does is take away from the autograph.

While these are not ideal, Upper Deck still ended up doing a decent job with the non-glossy clear sticker autographs...at least they tried to create a background to complement the card, despite falling a little short on both ends.

$_3.JPG
[MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION] 's approach has been along the right path, at least they only use clear stickers, although if they were a little larger like the EX stickers from my first example and perhaps fit the card better (with a border approach or maybe a little larger of a sticker to cover the entire white portion of the card) they would be in the top 2:
$_57.JPG
The one thing we can be thankful for is not having to deal with sticker autographs like these bad boys:

$_3.JPG

Overall, while on-card is king, when I think about buying a card with a sticker autograph I try finding the visually appealing stickers. In my opinion, the early Donruss stickers that are fully displayed and not cut-out along with the larger clear non-glossy stickers are the two best the hobby has seen.

I know I definitely missed a few variations, so please share your favorite/least favorite stickers of all time!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
null_zpsd6b6a75a.jpg

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
From my PC

This one is a different kind of sticker. I have a couple of these and kind of like them. They are ugly little pieces by themselves, but they work in the overall design for me

Anderson.jpg

Now, this isn't technically a sticker, but that is why I like it. Clearly Blyleven signed many of these for these cards, and I like them. When people say "there is no reason for cut autos of living players," I disagree, because cuts can look better when incorporated into a card. This is an example of the reasoning behind sticker autos being done with a "cut" of sorts.

Blyleven.jpg

What I don't like is a shiny thing slapped onto a card, like this one.

Sandberg.jpg

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
My favorite use of the sticker auto is from 2008 Topps U/H.

08_hanley_auto_5of6.jpg

The top layer of the card hangs over a portion of the sticker. Topps integrated the sticker into the design and didn't just slap it on the card's face.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
I hate this card but kept it because I pulled it and needed Carter for the HOF collection.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Some nice examples of Good/Bad.

One thing that typically helps sticker autos is when the card is clearly designed for them, like the Jeter example above.

Members online

Latest posts