Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Finally Added to my Canizaro Collection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
I haven't been around much in the last couple of years, but I wanted to stop by and share the newest addition to my Jay Canizaro collection. I hadn't logged on to Ebay in over a month, but last week I had a strange desire to do so. And I'm lucky that I did, I happened to stumble upon a game used Canizaro jersey listing with four hours remaining. Canizaro jerseys are rare, he was drafted in 1993 and was out of baseball by 2003, spending just a handful of time in Majors. I've been extremely lucky to have collected 12 of his jerseys now.

This one is a road jersey from the year 2000 and even though there is a certificate of authentication from the San Francisco Giants stating the jersey is game used I'm not 100% convinced. First off the jersey looks, brand, brand new, like it was never worn or worn only once. Plus, the certification is dated from 2004 and doesn't list a year the jersey was used, just that it is a Candlestick era jersey. Well the Giants moved out of Candlestick after the 1999 season and the jersey has a couple of patches on it that date the jersey to 2000. One being a SF patch on the sleeve and the other is the MLB logo on the back of the neck. So this jersey sat in a stock room for three or four years before it was sold with the Giants employee making a guess as to what season it was from.

Canizaro didn't play for the Giants during the 2000 season, he had an amazing spring training and was the last man cut on April 3rd, he signed with Twins on April 4th and spent the next three seasons with them. The Giants opened the 2000 season on April 3rd at the Florida Marlins. Since this jersey looks so new, I believe the Giants created this jersey to be Jay's opening day jersey, but he was cut the night before or on opening day so he never got a chance to use it. Game used or not still a heck of a nice piece to add to my collection.

I've posted about my collection in the past, but I think most of the links are broken in the post:

Attachments

• 2000 Giants Road Jersey.jpg
    2000 Giants Road Jersey.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Latest posts