Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
wadeinbmore said:
Hey guys...

It's been a while since I've posted. No new cards to talk about but did pick up a 2006 A's BP/ST game used jersey and a 2006 Green Alt Game Used Jersey A's as well as one of the Say No To Drug wristbands. I am starting to pack up some of the Thomas memorabilia and organize it and inventory it at the same time. I was wondering if anyone had a database or checklist or knows of one exhisting on line that covers all of Big Franks cards and one adversely that covers all the misc memorabilia that is out there of him. Thanks for any input. If anyone has any Game Used Items (non cards) that they are looking to move, drop me an email.

wade
[email protected]

Hey Wade,

First off, your post is a glaring reminder that I was supposed to email you weeks ago - and for that you have my sincerest apologies - I'm sorry.

Second, anyone who asks, you're the guy I usually point to whenever a question about the authenticity of a game-used Big Frank comes up for auction or needs some clarification/verification. <nod of appreciation & respect>

Third, as to a solid database cataloguing our guy's stuff - I think you have your mission. <wink> ;-D

Fourth, I did in fact give your offer serious consideration. But I'll have to pass. Sorry. <hand on shoulder> But the reason is that there's been a sea change in regards to genuine Thomas material these past couple of seasons. It's both palpable and strange. And to be honest, I don't know what's driving it.

Frank was completely out '09 and I have no idea what his plans are for '10 - if any. So the (typical) requisite at-bats that drives collectible sales isn't and wasn't "there" - so I'm at a loss to explain why his stuff is up across the board. I've even begun seeing new collectors compete against the regulars. Certainly some are investors looking to flip for profit, particularly the higher-end material, but it doesn't explain the general rising tide on everything Thomas.

It's not monster-hype-rush-to-the-races type of heat, but a slow burn that hasn't cooled off.

I'd love to hear from other collectors as to their own theories.

Anyway, I'm passing because of that. I don't think I can replace those gloves anytime soon - and if a pair were to become available - I couldn't possibly replace them at the cost I orginally paid.

I hope you understand. <nod>

Finally, I have got to seriously look into getting an authentic A's gamer. So look for my email. <wink>

Lance ;-D

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
LaneyB and my fellow Big Hurt Fans...

I had hoped to post something this weekend, even gong so far as to pre-craft the text that I was going to input.

But there must be something about this card issue (which I've redacted) that has become a personal curse. I've now tried five times to finish this issue and it's been five failures. Not sure what I did - but the cosmic card balance has decided that it's one issue that I will continually fail at, no matter how much effort I put into success. <laugh> ;-D

I won't publish yet - but here is the text I created in great anticipation of the card's arrival:

/start/
This one is for ... well... myself of course, but for Bruce too.

Figured this three-card mini-rainbow had that 'fold-out' feel I know he'll appreciate. :lol:

You younger guys have it too easy with this internet pron stuff. Back in the day the fold-out was Life Itself. <wink>

[image]
[image]
[image]

These xxxxxxxx are tougher than they look from a first glance. And the xxxxxxxxxx are very few and far between.

This was my fourth shot at making this set - and while I overpaid to insure it got to my collection - I have to admit at being genuinely pleased to have finally finished it. :)
/end/

I had to spend this entire weekend "fixing" the deal I had with the seller. It all worked out in the end - but the card itself is back on my list of things to get. <sigh>

Lance :lol:

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
wadeinbmore said:
Hey guys...

It's been a while since I've posted. No new cards to talk about but did pick up a 2006 A's BP/ST game used jersey and a 2006 Green Alt Game Used Jersey A's as well as one of the Say No To Drug wristbands. I am starting to pack up some of the Thomas memorabilia and organize it and inventory it at the same time. I was wondering if anyone had a database or checklist or knows of one exhisting on line that covers all of Big Franks cards and one adversely that covers all the misc memorabilia that is out there of him. Thanks for any input. If anyone has any Game Used Items (non cards) that they are looking to move, drop me an email.

wade
[email protected]

I just sent my makeshift excel file that I use to track all of my Thomas cards. It is a download of the Beckett price guide from about 6/08. Maybe you will see something that I am missing that you have and something I have more than one of that you need! My file has a total at the top that keeps track of the % total that I have of 1987-1996. My obsessive nature as a cpa caused me to organize my Thomas cards in an excel file!

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Big Hurt auto #18, AU/GU #12
(took lance's advice and watermarked the pic)

2007UltimateCollectionStarMaterials.jpg

The jersey auto was a pack pull.
2007UltimateCollectionUltimateStarM.jpg
2007UltimateCollectionUltimateSt-1.jpg

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Russ S. said:
gwynn5453l4u said:
[quote="Russ S.":3s96nscb]So who's gonna show off that Thomas Red Crusade Win?? :) :)

...for $511? Man I think you Thomas guys are crazier than the Griffey guys!
Tell me about it.
Glad I was able to get my Ripken Red Offline. Looking like an incredible pickup now... :D[/quote:3s96nscb]

how much did it run you

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
gwynn5453l4u said:
Russ S. said:
So who's gonna show off that Thomas Red Crusade Win?? :) :)

...for $511? Man I think you Thomas guys are crazier than the Griffey guys!

$511 for a Griffey red crusade is a deal I'd jump on without thinking twice. Heck, I just dropped $850 for a PATCH card of Griffey's - granted it was doubled sided and numbered to 5 - $511 is something I wouldn't pass up.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
One of my favorite Big Frank card images. Unfortunately, Topps either failed to realize how absorbent the cardstock was or they ran the inks too lightly. Either way, I had to digitally 'push' the image to show how nice this guy really is. From 2005 Bowman Heritage:

05bowmanmahogany.jpg

If this wasn't so dark I would've selected it for the Bob Feller Museum signing.

Which, btw, was disappointing to say the least. I'm hoping they can arrange a sitdown with our guy soon. The closer to the holidays we get - the more difficult it'll be to get that date set.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
LaneyB said:
$511 for a Griffey red crusade is a deal I'd jump on without thinking twice. Heck, I just dropped $850 for a PATCH card of Griffey's - granted it was doubled sided and numbered to 5 - $511 is something I wouldn't pass up.

Hi Bruce,

I have it on solid authority that - due to a misunderstanding - the Red Thomas would've sold for a LOT more.

Lance :shock:

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
HawaiianLance said:
LaneyB said:

Hi Bruce,

I have it on solid authority that - due to a misunderstanding - the Red Thomas would've sold for a LOT more.

What sort of misunderstanding? I'm so curious :?:

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
LaneyB said:
HawaiianLance said:
LaneyB said:

Hi Bruce,

Miscommunication.
edit: And a mistake on the ending time.

vitalejd said:
Hello all,

Another Frank Thomas collector has joined FCB. How is everyone?

Welcome to the site. Glad to see ya here.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Cobra29svt said:
LaneyB said:
HawaiianLance said:
LaneyB said:

Hi Bruce,

Miscommunication.
edit: And a mistake on the ending time.

Got it, so did anyone here pick it up? I've seen two red Griffey's in the last month - both in person, neither for trade :(

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Here's what I got for Thomas stuff. It is available. Also, have a couple Long Ball Leaders, but I'm not sure if they are '96 or '97 :facepalm:

'90 Fleer Update
'90 Fleer Update PSA 10
'90 Score

'92 Bowman
'92 Donruss Diamond King
'92 Pinnacle Team 2000
'92 Topps Gold Winner #555
'92 Ultra All-Star

'93 Donruss Long Ball Leaders
'93 Donruss MVP
'93 Donruss Spirit of the Game
'93 Finest
'93 Fleer All-Stars
'93 Fleer Golden Moments (w/Juan Gonzalez)
'93 Fleer Team Leaders
'93 Fun Shot Checklist
'93 Fun Shot Hot Shots
'93 Leaf FRANK (Strength)
'93 Leaf FRANK (Power)
'93 OPC Star Performers
'93 SP Platinum Power
'93 Studio Thomas Collection #2
'93 Triple Play Nicknames
'93 Ultra All-Star
'93 UD Iooss Collection
'93 UD 5th Year Anniversary
'93 UD Triple Crown Contender

'94 Donruss Long Ball Leaders
'94 Fleer Lumber Company
'94 Leaf '90 Reprint
'94 Studio Editors Choice
'94 Topps Finest MVP
'94 UD Mantle Long Shots Electric Diamond

'95 Donruss Elite /10,000
'95 Donruss Long Ball Leaders /5,000 (x2)
'95 Emotion Masters
'95 Flair Infield Power
'95 Leaf Gold Leaf Stars /10,000
'95 Score Dream Team Gold (x2)
'95 Select Big Sticks
'95 Stadium Club First Day Issue #47
'95 Stadium Club Power Zone (x2)
'95 Stadium Club Ring Leaders
'95 Summit Nth Degree #175
'95 Summit Big Bang
'95 Ultra Rising Stars Gold Medallion
'95 Zenith All-Star Salute

'96 Bowman's Best Cuts Atomic Refractor
'96 Donruss Freeze Frame /5,000
'96 Donruss Hit List /10,000
'96 Donruss Round Trippers PROMO
'96 Donruss Showdown Series w/Hideo Nomo /10,000
'96 Finest Bronze Refractor
'96 Flair Diamond Cuts
'96 Fleer ZONE
'96 Leaf Thomas Greatest Hits #3 /5,000
'96 Leaf Thomas Greatest Hits #4 /5,000
'96 Leaf Thomas Greatest Hits #8 /5,000
'96 Leaf Total Bases /5,000
'96 Leaf Limited Lumberjacks /5,000 (x2)
'96 Pacific Fence Busters
'96 Pinnacle Essence of the Game
'96 Pinnacle 1st Rate (x3)
'96 Pinnacle Power (x2)
'96 Pinnacle Team Spirit
'96 Score Dream Team
'96 Score Reflections w/Mo Vaughn
'96 Select Claim to Fame
'96 Select En Fuego
'96 Stadium Club Prime Cuts
'96 Studio Masterstrokes /5,000 (x3)
'96 Studio Stained Glass Stars
'96 Summit Hitters Inc. /4,000
'96 Ultra Thunder Clap
'96 Upper Deck Hot Commodities
'96 Upper Deck Power Driven

'97 Bowman's Best Cuts Atomic Refractor
'97 Circa Rave Reviews
'97 Fleer Night & Day
'97 Leaf Get A Grip w/John Smoltz /3,500 (x2)
'97 Stadium Clue Firebrand
'97 Ultra Baseball Rules
'97 Upper Deck Long Distance Connection
'97 Upper Deck Power Driven

Members online

No members online now.