Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Wow, I did not know that. So two of the biggest issues that (IMO) affect the appearance of a card, centering and print lines, are not considered in PSA grading. I wonder if a 90/10 card with two print lines could be a PSA 10?

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
Most uneducated post ever.

I apologize. That was my understanding.

The image must be centered on the card within a tolerance not to exceed approximately 55/45 to 60/40 percent on the front, and 75/25 percent on the reverse for a 10. Still ridiculous IMO.

Last edited:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
That card looks to be just out of centering tolerance, though I haven't counted, and it might just be 60/40...shouldn't be in a 10 holder with the thousands of well centered copies that are available. That's said, PSA does certainly take centering into account, and are much more stringent on print lines than BGS. Refractor lines on the other hand, they are not stringent on at all, unless the line is the result of an imperfection in the surface. The O/C designation is usually reserved for cards with centering at least 2 to 3 grades below the average grade of the card's remaining qualities...so a PSA 9 OC is a 9 in all ways, lest having the centering of a PSA 6-7 or worse.

Anyway, that card looks like a flub up. Had it been a NNOF, it would be deserving of the 10 as it's features are strong and the centering is standard to what would be expected from the best of the cuts on the NNOF. Both PSA and BGS take standard issues of the card into account...if centering is poor on every known example, or there is a standard print defect, they'll grade around it.

No surprise to me that Probstein is selling it.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
That card looks to be just out of centering tolerance, though I haven't counted, and it might just be 60/40...shouldn't be in a 10 holder with the thousands of well centered copies that are available. That's said, PSA does certainly take centering into account, and are much more stringent on print lines than BGS. Refractor lines on the other hand, they are not stringent on at all, unless the line is the result of an imperfection in the surface. The O/C designation is usually reserved for cards with centering at least 2 to 3 grades below the average grade of the card's remaining qualities...so a PSA 9 OC is a 9 in all ways, lest having the centering of a PSA 6-7 or worse.

Anyway, that card looks like a flub up. Had it been a NNOF, it would be deserving of the 10 as it's features are strong and the centering is standard to what would be expected from the best of the cuts on the NNOF. Both PSA and BGS take standard issues of the card into account...if centering is poor on every known example, or there is a standard print defect, they'll grade around it.

No surprise to me that Probstein is selling it.

Just from the naked eye - L/R looks like it may be 60/40 but T/B looks like it's 70/30 at best. I know there are programs out there that can measure this. Any suggestions?

Also, probstein is one of their premier customers (from what I can see) along with 4_sharp_corners. I feel like they both get some generous grades....

Last edited:

Brandt504

Apr 7, 2010
Northern California
sold

thomaswarp.jpg

Last edited:

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
Here are all of the variations I have of the 1991 Thomas Auto from Arena:

Mix of cards with/without #35, one without a serial, alternating colors on the serial number, and alternating gold/silver holograms on the back. How many variations are there??

document158.jpg

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
Very nice! Took me a long time to find that DD Gold card. I hope to have some cards to scan and post in the next week. Otherwise, not much other than what I posted a couple weeks ago above your post.

pootshwan

Jan 26, 2010
Connecticut
Nice! I picked up one of those Cut Aboves off COMC also a few months ago for $10. Last one on eBay got $51. I picked up a few new ones recently. I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I can.

That's a heck of a deal! I think I snagged this one for right around $20. I'm happy to cross it off the list.

randyherth

Sep 10, 2008
John's Creek, GA
Does anyone know how many were printed of the Masters Series for the 2001 Noteable Nicknames cards from Donruss? There is no pricing in Beckett, where the other #/d out of 100 has a price. I got the masters series in the mail today and then couldn't seem to find any good info.

document164.jpg

document165.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Also curious to see what people know about the Master Series autos. I have a Pedro Master Team Trademarks card but no idea what the print run might have been. Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts