Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
bustin_knuckles said:
thefatguy said:
I looked at that one, but with no true Griff patch, I passed. The Frank patch is nice though!
Yeah that's probably why I got it for $20. I missed out on one the week before that sold for $28 and had nice patches for all three.
I didn't even see that one. What was the title? do you have a link?
How do you guys search? I just go thomas griffey, then hit search description, but I find many cards are missed.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Well, well, well.

<pondering>

It took nearly seven years - but they're back on the market:

[ebay:2wxtitrb]270511982485[/ebay:2wxtitrb]

I still want to know exactly how PSA 'authenticated' these totally b.s. autos. :?

Sep 11, 2009
HawaiianLance said:
Well, well, well.

<pondering>

[ebay:cn1tpkoy]270511982485[/ebay:cn1tpkoy]

I still want to know exactly how PSA 'authenticated' these totally b.s. autos. :?

I've seen a few more autos of Thomas that PSA has authenticated that don't look real. I'm hesitant to bid on anything PSA has authenticated. I always had trouble with them when I used to get my cards graded. The only thing PSA is good for is encapsulating the card to prevent it from the elements.

I also picked this one up in Dec. I have always liked the Prime Patches for some reason. I also got it at a decent price.
2005primepatchesportrai.jpg

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I support PSA's authentication as much as I do JSA and my own commonsense. If it looks funny, I stay away. I'd obviously stay away from those. As for card grading, they're my grader of choice for pre-'93.

wadeinbmore

Feb 27, 2009
Baltimore
I really don't have much exposure to PSA autographed baseballs, but I was always under the impression that they sealed the ball cases as well...like they cards...to keep from tampering and if that seal is broken then that voids the authentication. I

If that is the case...I would't think it wold be hard to forge any of the other necessary documents...especially with the convience of Kinkos and computer software now adays...and if people have never had a PSA authenticated item they wouldn't be the wiser.

Just what my impression was. I feel bad for what ever unsuspecting collector buys one of these. If only people researched before they bought...even if the purchase is impulsive.

rikakris

Sep 5, 2009
HawaiianLance said:
Well, well, well.

<pondering>

[ebay:1o87zwx3]270511982485[/ebay:1o87zwx3]

It looks like PSA only authenticated one of those baseballs. And while that baseball has the same number on its authentication sticker as on the certificate, the sticker on the baseball looks loose, almost as if it has been peeled off and put back on. Very shady all around IMO!

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Rikakris - Believe it or not, these were actually certified authentic by PSA/DNA. They're the exact same baseballs that were offered in 2003.

Jack - I don't think Spence actually did the authentication. Rather I suspect it was Steve Grad. The same guy who also suspiciously *defended* the authenticity when I brought it to his attention back in '03.

Basically guys, and it's been said many times before, you're paying for an opinion when you use PSA/DNA, JSA, or any other service. None of them are one-hundred percent trustworthy - as they've all certified fakes - and images I've collected that validate that statement will be put up on the site later this spring.

So when the seller says to "Use The eBay PSA/DNA Quick Opinion" - they can't repudiate their own work, so of course it will come back as 'likely genuine', despite being blatantly fake.

<shrug>

And unlike seven years ago - I captured all the images this time around and screen shot the auction itself. The seller should realize that hardcore Thomas Fans aren't going away and will constantly call them to the mat.

Wade - And that was my very fear all those years ago when I alerted PSA/DNA about these baseballs. I originally thought I would 'defend' their good name thinking that the seller had faked the COAs. But you can imagine my shock when Steve Grad actually said they looked authentic.

bustin_knuckles said:
I've seen a few more autos of Thomas that PSA has authenticated that don't look real. I'm hesitant to bid on anything PSA has authenticated. I always had trouble with them when I used to get my cards graded. The only thing PSA is good for is encapsulating the card to prevent it from the elements.

You and me both brother. <nod>

Keep in mind that I won't hesitate to plunk down hard earned money for PSA graded cards - but insofar as authenticating autographs? No bleeping way.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
bustin_knuckles said:
I also picked this one up in Dec. I have always liked the Prime Patches for some reason. I also got it at a decent price.

Nice. <nodding>

I have a fondness for Prime Patches myself, but it's a collecting road loaded with nasty blind turns and potholes - aka Burge fakes - so that it's difficult to appreciate without a jaundiced eye.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
In case you missed the announcement of the brand new Topps National Chicle issue - check this out:

chiclethomas.jpg

What i want to know is: How come Charlie Sheen is featured on our guy's card?

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Check this out guys...if the theory about damage to multiple black plates in succession can hold up, here's a potentially interesting link I found on COMC today for 50 cents...

02F.jpg

Sep 11, 2009
BunchOBull said:
Check this out guys...if the theory about damage to multiple black plates in succession can hold up, here's a potentially interesting link I found on COMC today for 50 cents...

Wow. Now that's cool. I want one.

I need some opinions. Awhile back I purchased a 1995 Leaf Slideshow with a clipped corner and a peeled protector. The guy I bought it from said it was an executive (inhouse) promo and he was selling the whole second series set all which had the clipped corners. I know the Statistical Standouts promos from that same year had clipped corners. Do you think this guy just clipped some corners and sold them as promos or could they be real inhouse promos? I think I paid $1.50 or around there so either way is fine. I'm hoping maybe someone has some insight.
1995leafslideshowpromo.jpg

Also Anybody know where I can purchase one of these. I've only ever seen 1 on eBay. Its from 2008 Upper Deck First Edition.
2008upperdeckfirstediti.jpg

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:

Bull - your constant work on the NNOF/Blackless never ceases to amaze me.

Well done. <nod of deep respect>

Members online

Latest posts