Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Frank Thomas collectors thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Busy as bees around here so I have to make this quick.

I don't know about the rest of you guys - but I'm getting seriously pissed at the Bob Feller Museum.

It's been two months now and I don't even get a friggin' courtesy email.

:evil:

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
If anyone plans on bidding on this one, make sure you read the description & take a close look at the scan.

[ebay:3th60k3z]290391984869[/ebay:3th60k3z]

Sep 11, 2009
Birthday present from my girlfriend.
2009toppstributegold.jpg

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
thefatguy said:
If there's a card I really want, could you all be so kind as to back off bidding??!?! :)

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I will (depending on the card). There may come times where it will be an item we both want, & the gloves will have to come off for a little friendly bid wars. For the most part though I have no problem watching from the sidelines if it's a card you really want. We (most of the guys in the thread) communicate pretty often reguarding auctions & who will be bidding. Is this card from '96?

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
The 07 Thomas/Griffey dual auto. Ends tonight @ Jan 19, 2010 18:33:54 PST eBay time. I would really appreciate it.

Also, I am selling the following card, and offering it here first.
I really need $80 for it. The last one sold on the weekend for $78, and I'm going to ship with $10 tracking, so you're only paying $70 for the card. I'm happy with the PSA 10 regular issue I picked up, so this can be enjoyed in someone elses collection. PM Please. Thanks guys (and gals if there are any)
1990ToppsTiffanyBGS95.jpg

BGS #0002752032; Centering 9.5, Corners 9.5, Edges 9.5, Surface 9

gofrankgo

Aug 11, 2008
The eaisest way to indentify the 1993 Score promo is on the card front. Frank's right foot is NOT near the white border of the card where it says Frank Thomas. The regular card has his right foot almost touching the white border – the card is not marked promo and it is card # 3.

Sep 11, 2009
gofrankgo said:
Do you know how to identify the 1993 Score promo?
Page 42 of this thread.
HawaiianLance said:
From a fellow Frank Fan comes this (IMO) amazing confirmation of a promo that I wasn't sure existed - the 1993 Score Promo:

93scorethomaspromo.jpg

The one on the left is the Promo. As you can see the image isn't cropped as tightly as the issued version. You'll note where the blue lines indicate matching elements and those elements that fall out of uniformity.

How rare is it? Difficult to gauge. Since the difference is so subtle - there may be lots since collectors don't/didn't know what to look for - or equally, they could extremely rare.

I want to thank "GoFrankGo" (eBay ID) for this discovery and his willingness to share this with everyone.

Lance :)
GoFrankGo-I thought you were the one that discovered it.
The easiest way to tell is the line between the grass and dirt on the promo ends in the middle of the "H" in Chicago and the reg ends in between the "C" and "H".

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
We'll find more of the promo, I'll be on the lookout for you. I fully expect to find a stash of them somewhere.

I stumbled across a 1993 Leaf promo once...no stash sadly.

edited to combine posts:

thefatguy said:
The 07 Thomas/Griffey dual auto. Ends tonight @ Jan 19, 2010 18:33:54 PST eBay time. I would really appreciate it.

I had a low snipe on it, but it is officially removed. I picked up the Ultimate Inscriptions "Big Hurt" this weekend, so I'm not hurting for the dual.

One day though; I don't own a Griffey auto, and I figure a dual auto will be my best way to go though, so it can have a purpose to my collection.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I want to throw a couple of big thank you's out to a couple of members.

First of all, Rick offered to send me a Pinnacle Pins redeemed that he had picked up in a lot of items. Some of you know I'm building the set (nearing the halfway point), but first and foremost, I needed a Thomas copy for the collection. I knew this item was coming, which is a giant hole filled for me, but he added two other items that I can only assume he knew to be on my want list from the early years (the focus of my collection). Wow, I'm rambling, but I'm very excited and I don't really care if my grammar shows it. Thank you so much bud.

ScannedImage-3-1.jpg

The next firm handshake and major thank you goes to member brumbach. Awhile back I posted a V2 jumbo and mentioned that I'd have to pick up a second copy to peal it one day. Will saw the post and offered to send one that he himself had pealed back in the day whenever he could lay his hands on it. Time had passed and he found it recently and remembered me. These things are much better looking without protection!

ScannedImage-4-1.jpg

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
I won the auto tonight with the help of Dave (pghbuccos). Thanks all for not bidding. It went for less than the last one did, so I'm happy.
I'll post when I get it. I've been buying alot of team Canada, and am always looking for hockey, so my Big Hurt buying as slowed a bit. Plus, it's the off season, so there hasn't been anything that's caught my eye. I'm not into the 90's inserts, so you dont have to worry about me going after those. I'm into autos and game used now, and whatever I pull in packs.

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
Congrats on the win! They sure have dropped in price. I have the gold version of that (/10 instead of /20) & paid $246 when they first came out.

bodisurfa

Aug 7, 2008
bustin_knuckles said:
Damn who outbid me on the 1993 Score Promo. I thought bidding $20 would surely take it as I didn't think anyone else was watching it.

Sorry, but a board member won it. :( Only a few Thomas collectors know of this promo.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Cobra29svt said:
Congrats on the win! They sure have dropped in price. I have the gold version of that (/10 instead of /20) & paid $246 when they first came out.
Presumably, these are the only 2 clean players in the steroid era, and are HOF locks (I sure hope Griff is clean). I have the Jr, Bagwell, Frank auto, but I wanted a Jr/Frank only. They were my 2 favorite players, Griffey because he played in Seattle, and I got his auto before he hit the big club in Calgary.

Members online

Latest posts