Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Grading tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
I just sent a 1993 pinnacle Derek Jeter in for grading to Beckett and am quite disappointed with the results. I thought this card looked immaculate, yet it came back as only an 8.5. I got screwed on corners (only 8.5) and edges (8.5), yet when I checked this thing out under a magnifying glass it looked like at least a 9.5!!

Is there any chance some shenanigans went on, or is there something more I should have looked at before sending it in? Any help is appreciated!

Greg

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
On a card with dark borders, even a light touch of white on the corner will lower the grade to 8.5. Same for the edges, or sometimes it's the result of "lifting" that is very hard to see. I've sent in quite a few cards that came back with 8.5 or 9 subgrades where I thought "WHAT?!", but after closer inspection, I saw the flaws that I missed the first time. On the contrary, there were also times where I sent in cards expecting to get no better than a 9, and they come back a 9.5.

Members online

Latest posts