Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has David Ortiz overtaken Edgar Martinez as the greatest DH ever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Edgar = best DH ever. Period.

I agree (shocker, I know). I'd rather have the superior avg. as opposed to the additional HRs. And although Gar didn't have many opportunities to shine in the playoffs like Ortiz, he was definitely an overall clutch hitter as well. That being said, both are great and there are valid arguments for both as the top DH.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I agree (shocker, I know). I'd rather have the superior avg. as opposed to the additional HRs. And although Gar didn't have many opportunities to shine in the playoffs like Ortiz, he was definitely an overall clutch hitter as well. That being said, both are great and there are valid arguments for both as the top DH.
+0.27 better career batting average.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN

This would basically be my 'argument'. I wish Edgar had the supporting cast that Ortiz has had. I know he had some stout teams, especially the '01 team, but nothing like Ortiz has had around him. Again, both players are studs, but my vote is behind Edgar (probably because I just remember him more so than Ortiz, which is odd to say).

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
That's quite a difference over the span of a career IMO.
To put it in perspective, .300 vs .273...big difference.
Ortiz does have the advantage in the power category.
Just my take.
It's quite the difference for sure but not sure it's a superior one...

At the end of the day they're close but Ortiz batted or is batting .285 for his career... this isn't anything to shake a stick at. If you had to pick one for a career or 20 year span, I can see you taking Edgar... if you're picking one of them for a single season, post season or even game or at bat, you're probably taking Ortiz.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Without reading most replies...

Edge to Edgar.

If your team doesn't make the post season then somehow individual stats are brought down?

This could very well create the argument as to why post season stats don't matter (or do).

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Ortiz......

3 WS vs 0
Top 1 or 2 postseason hitters of our time and maybe all-time
Plays in pressure-packed, media "fish bowl" (Boston) and thrives there
Who would "scare" a pitcher more?

You have to include post-season in this assessment since that is why they play the games, to win.

I think both should make the Hall-of Fame but Ortiz's legacy blows that of Edgar's out of the water (and I think Edgar was a great hitter).

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Let's not forget that Edgar was no slouch in the power department as he slugged .515 and even more importantly, he had an amazing career OBP of .418. Yes, in his career he got on base at a .418 clip.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
It is a fair and extremely interesting question. I will side with what has already been said: if I'm playing game 7, I want Ortiz. He was simply incredible in the WS last year and seems to thrive on bigger and bigger stages. However, if I'm starting a team and have to choose one of them entering their prime, I can't ignore Martinez's edge in OBP. A 38 point differential there equals a lot of outs over several years.

When it comes to discussions of the Hall, things get more interesting because we have to consider the qualitative aspects involved. No doubt that Ortiz has much greater "fame," which does (and should) make a difference in HoF consideration. However, I didn't think it was still debated whether Ortiz used PEDs. I thought he had pretty much admitted to it. I personally don't think that should be a major factor in Hall consideration, but it clearly is.

of course, Papi is still playing, too

good thread, give that man some FCB cabbage!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Let's not forget that Edgar was no slouch in the power department as he slugged .515 and even more importantly, he had an amazing career OBP of .418. Yes, in his career he got on base at a .418 clip.
That is a crazy good number, much respect to Gar. I have always been touting Helton's .414 career mark; I had no idea that Martinez had a higher rate.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Agree 10000%

+0.27 better career batting average.
That is a fairly substantial difference IMO.
This would basically be my 'argument'. I wish Edgar had the supporting cast that Ortiz has had. I know he had some stout teams, especially the '01 team, but nothing like Ortiz has had around him. Again, both players are studs, but my vote is behind Edgar (probably because I just remember him more so than Ortiz, which is odd to say).
Yep. Ortiz has always had a very good supporting cast and plays in the little league ballpark known as Fenway. Edgar was one of the few great players on his team and played in Seattle's park. If Edgar was playing in Fenway I would bet his average would be up around .330 and he'd have higher power numbers as well.
Without reading most replies...

Edge to Edgar.

If your team doesn't make the post season then somehow individual stats are brought down?

This could very well create the argument as to why post season stats don't matter (or do).
Yep I agree. Sure Ortiz plays well in the postseason but whose to say that Edgar wouldn't have done similar numbers in the post season if he was there all the time. If I'm comparing these guys, I'm not looking at postseason numbers. I'm looking at career numbers. Edgar shouldn't be discounted because he didn't have the opportunity to play in the post season as much.
Ortiz......

3 WS vs 0
Top 1 or 2 postseason hitters of our time and maybe all-time
Plays in pressure-packed, media "fish bowl" (Boston) and thrives there
Who would "scare" a pitcher more?

You have to include post-season in this assessment since that is why they play the games, to win.

I think both should make the Hall-of Fame but Ortiz's legacy blows that of Edgar's out of the water (and I think Edgar was a great hitter).
Maybe to Boston fans. But not to other teams fans. Ortiz doesn't have as big of a "legacy" outside of Boston IMO. He's still well known but he's not this huge icon that a lot of Boston thinks he is.
I'll take that on base percentage every day and twice on sunday.

Members online

Latest posts