Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help, Bought a PSA 10 that may not be a 10... should I just return it? (Ripken Topps RC)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonebone

Jan 3, 2011
MD
I think U already make up your mind regardless what we say. The seller did nothing wrong the case is completely clean & the card was sold as graded by PSA. Just because U don't agree with the grade is not the seller fault. I brought few high dollar PSA 10 with surface scatch inside the card & I didn't return it cause I didn't want to offend any sellers or possible put on their block list. U can get full money back but the seller lost on ebay/paypal & shipping fees. How do U feel if U were the seller? If U going to return it I would talk to seller & perhap only ask for partial refund so to cover all the fees he/she lost in this auctions.

If you issue the refund through eBay, as well as submit a request to cancel the transaction, your paypal and eBay fees are refunded. I'm a Top-Rated seller myself and know how it goes.

The seller would probably even profit from this slightly, because that card should have gone for about $430-$450 at auction. It ended lower than they usually go for.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
Seller still lost in shipping. Last I check he shipped quickly to U and with $400 + he must have used signature confirmation. If U buy this psa 10 and U think have chance to flip it for BGS 10 U have no complain. Psa.gems is active graded card seller I would msg him politely & don't open a case with him cause U may want to buy many more psa card from him in the future.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
Of course you can return it. That's the policy. There's nothing shady about that. You have a legit reason to be unhappy with the item, return it. PSA is not infallible.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
To be clear, I don't have a dog in the fight and I don't really care but my two cents are that you got what you paid for. I mean it's a stabbed 10 and that's what you wanted and that's what you got.

Now if he is offering 14 days to return, then what the F are we even talking about or do you need "help" with?!? Haha. Return it to the seller, get money back, lock thread and let's move on.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
The other funny thing in all this is that there is a "clear" or "glaring" difference between graded 10s! Now that's just funny. Not saying it's inaccurate but just funny. I mean you'd think we were discussion a graded 8 where we're looking at sub graded but this is a 10 people lol... Anyone else find that funny?

---

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Regarding the card moving around in the slab, I've noticed edge damage on PSA 10 cards near the corners due to the little ridge that goes all around the inside of the slab edge but stops at the corners. Where it ends can cause a little ding in the edge if the slab is dropped or shaken.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
I shouldn't have to take a magnifying glass to the scans and demand more pictures. A PSA10 should be a PSA10, end of story.

Sorry to break it to you, but the story doesn't end. It keeps going and going.

You DO need to closely examine the scans AND you need to ask for more pictures. Not all PSA 10s are equal. Some are more PSA10ish than others, some are less.

Does that sound absurd? Maybe it does, but it's the reality with 3rd party grading.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
PSA will use a Mylar sleeve inside the slab like BGS if you request it...it eliminates the rattle.

That is the first I have heard that.They ought to use a sleeve on every slab without request like BGS.

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
You DO need to closely examine the scans AND you need to ask for more pictures. Not all PSA 10s are equal. Some are more PSA10ish than others, some are less.

Here is where I come out on all this with regards to the OPer...

(A) if he knew not all 10s we're equal and he wanted a perfect 10 or whatever type of 10 he had in mind, then why the F wouldn't he do the quoted above?! Instead he just buys, gets in hand, examines and is unhappy, then has to go through returning it and shipping it back, etc. What a pain in the a$$ for both parties.

(B) if he didn't know all 10s were made equal, then what's the problem. It's slabbed a 10. Keep moving. You own a PSA 10 and you got it at a great price (is what you said)

This is just hilarious if you ask me. I hope the seller just says "cool, send it back, no problem" because my head is spinning that we're talking about a 10 and it being not to standard as other 10s when there is a nice scan of the card on the auction and the guy probably would of answered any questions you had.

---

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Here is where I come out on all this with regards to the OPer...

(A) if he knew not all 10s we're equal and he wanted a perfect 10 or whatever type of 10 he had in mind, then why the F wouldn't he do the quoted above?! Instead he just buys, gets in hand, examines and is unhappy, then has to go through returning it and shipping it back, etc. What a pain in the a$$ for both parties.

(B) if he didn't know all 10s were made equal, then what's the problem. It's slabbed a 10. Keep moving. You own a PSA 10 and you got it at a great price (is what you said)

This is just hilarious if you ask me. I hope the seller just says "cool, send it back, no problem" because my head is spinning that we're talking about a 10 and it being not to standard as other 10s when there is a nice scan of the card on the auction and the guy probably would of answered any questions you had.

---

What would bother me if I were a graded card collector is the fact that I bought a PSA 10 thinking it was indeed the condition of a 10 and it really wasn't. That is a lot of mess to go through to send it back, risk ticking off a seller who did nothing wrong, and having to start all over again. It would make me rethink how I'm collecting. Now apparently it's not making the OP rethink how he collects. But I agree these graders spend a small amount of time checking cards. I think it's time people stop and realize grading for what it is. Even though people say they know what it is, I don't think it really sinks in.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
That is the first I have heard that.They ought to use a sleeve on every slab without request like BGS.

While I like them myself, many PSA elites can't stand them...overwhelmingly, registry-heads don't want the sleeve.

Example:

1987PanAmBlue36.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal

PSA doesn't actually use a "sleeve" like BGS. They lay a single sheet of thin mylar on top of the card (or under it, I don't remember) and then slab it (so one side of the card is in contact with the mylar, the other is in contact with the plastic of the slab). They use this when they slab odd-shaped cards they don't have specific holders for, or when they run out of standard sized slabs and put the card in a larger holder.

Last edited:

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
ugh - not a fan of sleeves at all. I understand they are necessary for odd-sized cards, but they're still fugly.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
ugh - not a fan of sleeves at all. I understand they are necessary for odd-sized cards, but they're still fugly.

I like BGS's sleeves. They offer better protection than PSA's holder.

That card bouncing around inside the PSA slab means that there's friction going on between the surface of the card and the inside of the slab. For chrome cards, that can be disastrous.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I'm guessing there not going to be a card "worthy". It's a PSA 10, whether your expert opinion says it is or not. You stated you want a PSA 10, not a jonebone 10. You got exactly what you wanted, which is a PSA 10.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I'm guessing there not going to be a card "worthy". It's a PSA 10, whether your expert opinion says it is or not. You stated you want a PSA 10, not a jonebone 10. You got exactly what you wanted, which is a PSA 10.

Well...I think we can all agree that card isn't a 10 just due to the stain.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Well...I think we can all agree that card isn't a 10 just due to the stain.

Admittedly, I'm not a PSA guy. In my opinion, if it's slabbed a 10, it's a 10. If there's different levels of PSA 10, then it's a lower level. Either way, it's says PSA 10 gem mint on it. It's obviously NOT a pristine 10.

Members online

Latest posts