Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Hobby terms which irk you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I've got a few.

"Paper" when referring to bowman cards.
Pretty easy guys, bowman and bowman chrome are different cards.

Ball cards: should only be heard when watching YouTube vids of Don west.

Pack fresh: totally meaningless as we all know cards straight from packs can be damaged.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I've got a few.

Pack fresh: totally meaningless as we all know cards straight from packs can be damaged.

I've had to resort to using this many times. I've been asked many times if the card is Chrome or not, and if it isn't, paper is the easiest way for them to know. It doesn't irk me at all when it is used though

Aug 13, 2008
I've had to resort to using this many times. I've been asked many times if the card is Chrome or not, and if it isn't, paper is the easiest way for them to know. It doesn't irk me at all when it is used though

I don't know, "not chrome" usually works for me. But then again, it is more letters than paper and I can see why some people may get fatigued. :)

My least favorite acronym is CMB... you want my card, but then you want me to do the leg work to find a card. Then again, I'm old and fatigue easily.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I've got a few.

I hate seeing "paper" too.If the card is Bowman type "Bowman" in heading.If it's "Bowman Chrome" the heading should be typed as such.The #ThanksTopps is getting old too.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Im not fond of the 'sick' term when it refers to a really nice card. What is 'sick' about the card? When I hear that term, I want to stay away from it but yet it really mean quite opposite.

Also in a couple other sports, the term "going to the dance" is dumb as well.

But It could just be me as Im old anyway!

Fordman

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
How about the words used to describe the low-end of the grading scale?

Good, Very Good, Excellent

Only in sports cards are those words used to describe something really crappy.

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
"graphing"

I know plenty of people who create graphs. None of them involve a person scribbling their name on anything.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Honestly..... none.

I love the fact our subculture has its own jargon to describe and enhance our communication with each other.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It's this easy....

For sale (for example):

20 count lot of 2012 bowman bogaerts $20

20 count lot of 2012 bowman chrome bogaerts $50

Why would or should I say "paper"?

It's not a big deal obviously, just unnecessary.

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
'Hits' irks me so. "Here comes the hit" I have to listen to breakers say. Why can't you just say you got an auto or a jersey card? Or if you bought a Topps product, a redemption card. <---- sarcasm

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
eBay selling/buying is responsible for some of these.
"Paper" for example most certainly came about because of idiot buyers filing chargebacks either because they truly didn't notice or because they had buyers remorse and it worked as an excuse at some point. Sure you could type "not chrome" but then you just look like one of those knobs that spams keywords like "non auto"
Same can be said for "pack fresh". God forbid you say mint or near mint because some SOB is gonna be filing another chargeback when that card doesn't meet their 9.5 minimum grade sub.
So most of these words you can't stand are necessary because of collectors you can't stand :)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It bugs me when people call the National Convention "The Nationals" with an 's' at the end.
It's The National, singular. Always has been.
Nationals are a competition or tournament, like the Cheerleading Nationals or the Pokemon Card Nationals.

Dmscards

Apr 2, 2013
Los Angeles
It bugs me when people call the National Convention "The Nationals" with an 's' at the end.
It's The National, singular. Always has been.
Nationals are a competition or tournament, like the Cheerleading Nationals or the Pokemon Card Nationals.

I have never agreed so much with one post

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts