Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

how many collectors here have done this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i know Red Sox and Angels collectors with over 10,000 different cards of their team , they had a race to 10,000 . At present time i have 30,000 Pirates but alot of doubles :rolleyes:

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Yeah well... if I was in this for the value I wouldn't collect a lot of what I do. That's what's cool...there are cheap ways to enjoy this hobby. Besides, if you do team sets you're still collecting a lot of five cent cards no?

well yea but alot less cards though. I dont have much room so having 10 boxes of five cent cards is worse than half a box of 5 cent cards. I still have alot of sets like my 1996 collectors choice and so forth but I had like 10 or so boxes of just cards not worth much. I needed the room.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
i know Red Sox and Angels collectors with over 10,000 different cards of their team , they had a race to 10,000 . At present time i have 30,000 Pirates but alot of doubles :rolleyes:

I too also have alot of Phillies cards. I think around 5 thousand now with the dupes. I also have about 1,300 Griffey cards but no dupes there. :)

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've completed the Yankees Topps cards. I've also got the Bowman cards back to 1950. I'm now working on some of the other sets, gathering Yankees.
DANNY

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've thought about team collecting, but the Phillies had so many terrible teams it seems like a soul-crushing task. I was also born there in 1970, and while you do have some bright spots that year like Bowa's and Luzinski's RCs, and a very late Jim Bunning, it's a parade of scrubs until about 1977. Well, there were a few decent players, and once you get to 1973 you at least have Carlton and Schmidt every year, but it's very depressing to look at some of those rosters on a seemingly neverending string of 71-91 teams, with a couple good runs thrown in. And exactly one HOFer RC in all that time.

But sure, team collecting is a small but dedicated niche in the hobby. There are no rules, obviously, but I think the majority of team collectors also go for League Leader, All-Star, and multi-player rookie/prospect cards. They usually are cheaper than regular player cards, and for rookies they might be the only time they ever appear on a card.

TonyGillen

Feb 25, 2009
Minneapolis, Minnesota
One of my basic team collecting goals is to have all Twins Topps base cards including Traded/Update from 1961 through the present... and that's also including any multi-player all-stars, rookies, league leaders, etc. So far, I have everything from 1977 through the present.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I've been working on the Yankees team sets 1952-present. Like you, I've included the League Leaders, AS, multi-player RCs as well as the modern day SPs, SSPs, factory bonus cards and Topps 17-card team sets. In addition, I have also been building the Topps Debut, Topps Heritage and Bowman Heritage sets. This is a long term project and thus far, I have been finding the vintage stuff mainly from quarter/dime boxes at shows as well as occasional trades. Although I haven't had much time lately for that lately.

https://sites.google.com/site/pinstripedpursuit/ny-yankees-team-sets/topps-wantlist

The PSA team registries a good resource. For some teams, they have "Decade Sets" in which case you don't have to compile the list yourself.
PSA Team Set Registry: Team Sets

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
I'm going to do this for he Twins I want a master set of all the Topps base Twins cards.
Leaders
Rookies
All star
Traded

Just like everyone else I guess

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
I started working on Astros team sets a few years ago, then put them on the backburner.

I have recently rekindled that fire though, so I am in that boat. I have a ton of cards from multiple years, but no single years done

Sent from my Vortex using Sports Cards by Freedom Card Board.com

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
I've considered doing this for the Mariners. I actually started doing as many TTM's of M's players on Topps cards from '76-'89 (you can see my progress in the TTM thread). I may still go back one day and collect base sets (and have considered basic inserts).

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and goals. It is a fun adventure and can get a bit more expensive for some teams. However, if you're enjoying it and collecting it, that is the important part.
DANNY

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Sorry to dredge up this old thread. As some know I am collecting Cubs team sets. I have 1970 to 2011 regular Topps pretty much done and I have some of the 50's Bowman team sets as well. I have been working on other Topps team sets from products like Chrome, Stadium Club, etc. I also have some of the 80's and 90's Donruss done as well. It seems Beckett and the teamsets4u both have some inaccuracies when I have been checking some cards I have. I discovered the Trading Card Database base from this thread so I will double check my lists with that page. Are there any other resources out there to check?

Members online