Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I Just DESTROYED $1,500 Worth of Cards!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Why am I a fool? Because you wouldn't do it? Here is the thing they were MY cards....not yours. You will never hear me tell you what to do with your stuff.

I guess you are most likely correct and I'm a fool....I mean somebody who thinks about doing this must be a complete idiot.

I just label this under "Different strokes for different folks". Here was my pride and joy when I was younger:

no%20stripes.jpg

I was not satisfied, so I put on a high rise spoiler from a 92 z28, a 3" cowl hood and racing stripes. It ended up looking like this:

at-the-beach.jpg

In the eyes of several, I had ruined a perfectly good IROC! It was as if I had stolen their childhood away from them by removing the hood and louvers, stock spoiler and all else that was 1980's. Some people simply won't understand - 'tis okay though. I guess I asked for it posting this card up!

You are no fool - Without sounding too much like I'm patting myself on the back, I'd venture to say you are a forward-thinking collector who craves truly unique art pieces in your collection that cannot be found anywhere. I think the end result fits that bill quite nicely :)

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
I don't mind people not liking it. There are alot of things I don't like that others like. However I could care less what others do with there own things. I'm certainly not going to call people names haha

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Why am I a fool? Because you wouldn't do it? Here is the thing they were MY cards....not yours. You will never hear me tell you what to do with your stuff.

I guess you are most likely correct and I'm a fool....I mean somebody who thinks about doing this must be a complete idiot.

Where do I tell you what to do with your stuff? I'm just telling you what I think is a dumb thing to do with your stuff. It's yours, do with it what you want. It just seems foolish to take something with a value of $1,500 and destroy it/them to make something worth far, far less. I'll be the first to say collecting isn't all about prices and value, but how much would it have cost to just buy a full Carew game-used bat to do this with, plus you'd have the barrel piece and more?

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010

With what we pay for little pieces of cardboard, we are all a little foolish lol

Last edited:

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Where do I tell you what to do with your stuff? I'm just telling you what I think is a dumb thing to do with your stuff. It's yours, do with it what you want. It just seems foolish to take something with a value of $1,500 and destroy it/them to make something worth far, far less. I'll be the first to say collecting isn't all about prices and value, but how much would it have cost to just buy a full Carew game-used bat to do this with, plus you'd have the barrel piece and more?

Mouschi described earlier the issues with buying a full game bat. I'm not concerned wih the 1500 value because to me it doesn't matter. I'm not ever going to sell the cards so if they are woth 1500 or worth 0 it is irrelevant. I'm my oponion for my personal collection it's a much better card and fits much better...in fact stands out for my collection.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
As a Staunch Carew fan I was horrified to see 2 barrels destroyed from the factory condition. With that said if the owner of the new card is happy so be it. Not my place to criticize him. they are his cards. I guess the value of his remaining barrels get a pricing bump

A_Pharis

As a Staunch Carew fan I was horrified to see 2 barrels destroyed from the factory condition. With that said if the owner of the new card is happy so be it. Not my place to criticize him. they are his cards. I guess the value of his remaining barrels get a pricing bump

Just my two cents about value:
Cards and collectibles are only worth what someone will pay for it - true. And people may not pay much for this custom, now. The thing is, there's another angle to that theory. It can only have someone willing to pay for it if it ever goes up for sale. Having seen [MENTION=12284]16christensen16[/MENTION] 's collection and how he talks about it... "worth" means nothing to him - in a secondary market sense - because they'll never hit that market.

I guess that means you could say that this custom has zero worth, but I can tell you that there's a lot of value in it for him.

I like the custom. Tanner does a great job.

A_Pharis

Mouschi described earlier the issues with buying a full game bat. I'm not concerned wih the 1500 value because to me it doesn't matter. I'm not ever going to sell the cards so if they are woth 1500 or worth 0 it is irrelevant. I'm my oponion for my personal collection it's a much better card and fits much better...in fact stands out for my collection.

Guess I should have read this before my last post, since I just echoed it.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I know the guy who owns the 2012 Five Star MLB logo auto Stanton/Ramirez booklet. He paid $800 for it. I offered him $850 to slice it in half and send me the Stanton part. He declined.

Am I crazy? Is he? This is an interesting topic.

I'd do the same thing in Christensen's shoes.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
As the owner of the two carew cards and the new custom book. I absolutely love it! It is amazing. Tanner did a incredible job. As I see it the cards are never leaving my collection so I would like to have what makes me happy

Awesome addition to your collection, congrats!

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
Just my two cents about value:
Cards and collectibles are only worth what someone will pay for it - true. And people may not pay much for this custom, now. The thing is, there's another angle to that theory. It can only have someone willing to pay for it if it ever goes up for sale. Having seen [MENTION=12284]16christensen16[/MENTION] 's collection and how he talks about it... "worth" means nothing to him - in a secondary market sense - because they'll never hit that market.

I guess that means you could say that this custom has zero worth, but I can tell you that there's a lot of value in it for him.

I like the custom. Tanner does a great job.

You are dead on. I could give a rip about what the custom card brings on ebay because it won't ever leave my office desk where it's sits right now. It adds a great amount of personal joy and value to my collection!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
You are dead on. I could give a rip about what the custom card brings on ebay because it won't ever leave my office desk where it's sits right now. It adds a great amount of personal joy and value to my collection!

If I had something that nice it would never leave my collection either. Its a hobby to some, they enjoy the collecting, trading and the cards themselves. Some people look at it in terms of money. I don't think either is wrong, like Tanner said, different strokes for different folks.

16christensen16

Mar 23, 2015
spencer iowa
If I had something that nice it would never leave my collection either. Its a hobby to some, they enjoy the collecting, trading and the cards themselves. Some people look at it in terms of money. I don't think either is wrong, like Tanner said, different strokes for different folks.

Completely agree with you also. For me it's strictly a hobby. I love collecting baseball cards, and I love the twins. So twins baseball cards to me are like a perfect storm to me, I just go crazy. I never get carried away with money or if I can make money selling them. I collect because it's a hobby and I have never and will never collect to try and make money. However the people that collect to make money don't bother me one bit.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
I don't collect anything for their future worth and anyone that does (imo) truly doesn't enjoy what this is supposed to be all about. A hobby, a pastime.

I think the custom is pretty darn cool and you have a great looking card that's truly 1 of 1 haha. I think the whole thing is pretty awesome

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Awesome job for Tanner as always. We'll never be disappointed in his work now on.
And I am very happy for the owner of the cards. He is very happy with the results. I am glad that value and collector stereotypes didn't prevent him from pursuing this amazing project.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
There may come a day when custom cards have equal or greater values to "professionally" manufactured cards from licensed companies. Sketch cards are not too far off this concept already. I would totally agree though that the owner is free to do whatever they wish to their possessions and we hope that would not be criticized for their choices, but it will bound to happen. There are always people who are black and white on subjects and there is no middle ground whatsoever. in today's world though, using a similar example, if a famous work of art was modified by adding something more to the image, most of the art world would likely be mortified.

That said, it is likely that someday our possessions that we'll "never ever sell" will be back on the open market one way or another. We will all die and eventually there is a better than not chance that, even if something is passed down for a generation or more, eventually some distant relative won't give a crap what it meant and will try to sell it. By that time, will it be equal to the value of original items destroyed? We'll probably never know.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I know the guy who owns the 2012 Five Star MLB logo auto Stanton/Ramirez booklet. He paid $800 for it. I offered him $850 to slice it in half and send me the Stanton part. He declined.

Am I crazy? Is he? This is an interesting topic.

I'd do the same thing in Christensen's shoes.

If Dawson and Stanton are ever on a booklet together, lets do this!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Completely agree with you also. For me it's strictly a hobby. I love collecting baseball cards, and I love the twins. So twins baseball cards to me are like a perfect storm to me, I just go crazy. I never get carried away with money or if I can make money selling them. I collect because it's a hobby and I have never and will never collect to try and make money. However the people that collect to make money don't bother me one bit.

I love your new card and I would have done the same thing if I would have won that Dawson jumbo tag, congrats!

Members online

Latest posts