Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Japanese baseball cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Does anyone have any ideas for how to track down copies of Japanese baseball cards?

From what I can tell, Gomes has two 2016 cards from his short stint with the Rakuten Eagles. First, there's what TCDB describes as "2016 Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles Team Issue." Then, there's the "BBM Eagles bonus card," shown on this site, which (if I understand it correctly) may have been issued in issue #117 of Sports Card Magazine. If anyone has ideas on how to find these cards, I would much appreciate it.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I did a quick search on Card Shop Mint's website (they're the largest dealer in Japan) but the only result I got was a 2007 UD jersey auto.

https://www.mint-mall.net/products/...8a557&mode=search&genre_id=0&name=jonny+gomes

Yahoo auctions Japan only has 4 US cards listed at the moment.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search...aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=1&p=jonny+gomes&x=0&y=0

No hits in Rakuten either.

https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/jonny+gomes+bbm/

Both cards are commons so I doubt they're listed for sale individually online. Probably need to dig through dealer boxes that have 2016 BBM cards.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks, I appreciate you looking. Do you happen to have any ideas on how to see if Gomes has any other cards in addition to those two—whether parallels, or other cards entirely?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's interesting that with the internet, you'd expect more foreign stuff to make its way onto the marketplace, but it really doesn't seem to be that way. Japanese cards, South American stamps and cards, european stuff, etc. Maybe more of it does than I realize, but I have looked here and there for odd stuff like that. I was trying to find some 70s Soccer cards and although they are out there, it's almost always singles. Since I have no idea who is who, I wanted to buy some lots for the novelty, but none were to be had (at the time, at least).

I went to Japan while in the Navy and although I found a few magazines and CDs to buy, no baseball cards. I ended up finding these action packed-like soccer cards and bought a pack or 2. Have them stashed away somewhere.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Thanks again, @madbull34. Have just ordered both cards, so hopefully I'll be officially crossing them off the list shortly.

I ended up using Buyee, which Dave of https://japanesebaseballcards.blogspot.com/ turned me on to. It's a third party site that facilitates orders from Japan—the sellers ship to Buyee, which collects the cards and then ships one package to me. Sounds good on paper—cuts down on a bunch of international shipping charges—and will be interesting to see how it works in practice.

@mrmopar, it's interesting. There are a decent number of cards of Gomes on the Japanese sites, but nothing the other way. Definitely have to put in some legwork to find even base cards.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Awesome. Hope both cards arrive safe and sound. I collect Japanese players once they come over to the states but have very limited knowledge of the market over there. I've been to a few locations of Mint in Japan just out of curiosity but it's mostly high-end cards and Pokemon/Yu Gi Oh.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Awesome. Hope both cards arrive safe and sound. I collect Japanese players once they come over to the states but have very limited knowledge of the market over there. I've been to a few locations of Mint in Japan just out of curiosity but it's mostly high-end cards and Pokemon/Yu Gi Oh.
If you’re interested in oddball stuff of Japanese players, here is a list.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
It has not been easy for me to find Japanese cards of Albert Pujols, especially on ebay. Most of mine came from sites that came up in google searches. I still cannot locate the 2009 Upper Deck Sega Card Gen.

Attachments

• 20210309_195403.jpg
    20210309_195403.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 8

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Sometimes there is a loss in translation for foreign sellers. I won't be purchasing this AP due to the title. Is that "Real Use" by AP or the seller?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-203229_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220827-203229_eBay.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 12

Members online

Latest posts