Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jays sign Dickie Thon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
The Blue Jays have agreed to sign fifth-round pick Dickie Thon for $1.5MM, according to ESPN.com's Keith Law. The Blue Jays won’t likely make an official announcement until on or near August 16th, the deadline for signing draft picks. Otherwise, other draftees would be able to use Thon’s above-slot bonus as leverage. A $1.5MM bonus is mid-first-round money; no fifth-round pick signed for more than $680K last year, according to Baseball America.

Now that the Blue Jays have pried Thon away from his commitment to Rice, they have agreed to sign six of their top ten selections.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I read this in Law's chat and was surprised. It was my understanding he would be extremely tough to sign, especially since his father wanted him to attend Rice. Then again, it was also said it would take 7 figures to lure him away.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
Don't know anything about the kid but if he is anywhere near as talented as his dad, Toronto got a good one. Dickie Thon had amazing potential til he was beaned in the head. He made a decent comeback but was never the same.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
Jaypers said:
I read this in Law's chat and was surprised. It was my understanding he would be extremely tough to sign, especially since his father wanted him to attend Rice. Then again, it was also said it would take 7 figures to lure him away.

As soon as he was drafted the word was he wasnt going to sign because he felt he was worth 1st-2nd round money. I guess they ended up working things out. I have to say Alex Anthopolous is doing very very well and im very happy with what hes doing

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Good stuff. Dickie Joe is a good sign. The Jays still need to sign Bryant and McGuire. Signing Bryant would be a huge signing.

The Jays have signed Cardona and top 3B Gabriel Cenas. They are also after Heredia once he is old enough. Too bad some of these kids are several years away but in 4-5 years the Jays farm system should hopefully be in the top 10. :D

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
aarne13 said:
Good stuff. Dickie Joe is a good sign. The Jays still need to sign Bryant and McGuire. Signing Bryant would be a huge signing.

The Jays have signed Cardona and top 3B Gabriel Cenas. They are also after Heredia once he is old enough. Too bad some of these kids are several years away but in 4-5 years the Jays farm system should hopefully be in the top 10. :D

I think its getting stacked as it is now. Especially with the chances of them trading Bautista, Downs, Frasor, Buck, Gregg, Litsch it could and should improve alot

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think these above slot signings all but assure the Jays fans that there'll be folks on their way out very soon.

I still can't get over the fact that Vernon's contract increase alone pretty much made up for the difference between the Jays of this year and last year, payroll wise.

Members online

Latest posts