Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Josh Hamilton - Triple Crown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports makes a case for it here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuEaG7XonzD64VB2U5VjLh0RvLYF?slug=ti-rangers062910

Although Hamilton is drawing this kind of speculation because of one hot month, the notes Brown makes about the lack of injuries and hitting adjustments seem to give it a bit more credence.

I know Miggy and Pujols have often been mentioned for the Triple Crown but it sure would be interesting to see what would happen if Hamilton strung a couple amazing months together.

Surely someone is thinking about this, his last '99 Topps Traded Auto BGS 9.5 sold for $300 [phil:meb2as4i]170504456580[/phil:meb2as4i], haven't seen those kinds of prices for a while.

What do you think? Will Hamilton wind up with average, HR and RBI in the top 5 by the end of the season?

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
masonphillip said:
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports makes a case for it here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuEaG7XonzD64VB2U5VjLh0RvLYF?slug=ti-rangers062910

Although Hamilton is drawing this kind of speculation because of one hot month, the notes Brown makes about the lack of injuries and hitting adjustments seem to give it a bit more credence.

I know Miggy and Pujols have often been mentioned for the Triple Crown but it sure would be interesting to see what would happen if Hamilton strung a couple amazing months together.

Surely someone is thinking about this, his last '99 Topps Traded Auto BGS 9.5 sold for $300 [phil:30blt6vv]170504456580[/phil:30blt6vv], haven't seen those kinds of prices for a while.

What do you think? Will Hamilton wind up with average, HR and RBI in the top 5 by the end of the season?

I can see the home run and the rbi, but I don't think he ends up top 5 in average.

I feel he will stay hot for awhile, but eventually will cool down and his average will drop with it.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Not to derail the topic of this thread, but why not write an article about Miguel Cabrera's pursuit of a Triple Crown?

He's currently 1st in HR, 1st in RBI, and 5th in BA, and has a legitimate shot at it.

I understand Hamilton has been hot, but a Triple Crown is impressive if ANYONE can do it...even someone like Cabrera or Pujols who would probably be the 'favorites' to achieve such a feat. They are both pretty close, but Cabrera is obviously closer at this point. Again, this is not meant to be an argumentative 'Miguel Cabrera is better than everyone' post, just seems like common sense.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Not to derail the topic of this thread, but why not write an article about Miguel Cabrera's pursuit of a Triple Crown?

He's currently 1st in HR, 1st in RBI, and 5th in BA, and has a legitimate shot at it.

I understand Hamilton has been hot, but a Triple Crown is impressive if ANYONE can do it...even someone like Cabrera or Pujols who would probably be the 'favorites' to achieve such a feat. They are both pretty close, but Cabrera is obviously closer at this point. Again, this is not meant to be an argumentative 'Miguel Cabrera is better than everyone' post, just seems like common sense.

He wrote the article about Hamilton because its something new and different. Which is what authors are paid to write about. Writing about Cabrera or Pujols doing so, wouldn't be new and different (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp& ... 5da4f245a4)

Plus, writers can never get enough of a personal story like the one Hamilton has.

SamHell

Jun 12, 2010
Texas
I enjoy having Hamilton on the Rangers and I think he is an excellent player but there is no way in hell he ever wins a triple crown or even a batting title. He chases too many pitches and doesn't take enough walks. I'll agree with all the hype and say that Cabrera might have a chance one day. Pujols and Cabrera are the only 2 players in the game that I feel have a legitimate shot at ever winning one.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
I think Josh Hamilton has a better chance the Miggy based on his situation. On Texas he is given ample of opportunities for RBI's that Miggy will not be given. If anyone is to slow down it will be Miggy. Guerrero and Cruz provide an amazing protection for Hamilton to see more pitches. A month ago we wouldn't even mentioned Hamilton as he was far away from Cano but now Cano avg has dropped and it conceivable that Josh can catch him within the next 2 weeks. The only category I can see derailing Josh is HR. For some reason I can see someone like Batista winning the Home Run crown

donrusscrusademan

Sep 2, 2009
odds are Miggy/Josh takes at least 1 category from each other.

never thought that avg/hr/rbi should be the triple crown stats as about half the years the guy with most homers will lead in rbis too. oh well

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I don't understand why Joey Votto doesn't get the recognition he deserves for a potential triple crown bid. He is 3rd in BA, 6th in RBI (7 behind 1st) and 4th in HR (1 behind 1st). Playing in the ballpark in which he does with decent protection, he might have a legitimate shot.

ecerulo

Aug 8, 2008
Jays_Cards said:
I don't understand why Joey Votto doesn't get the recognition he deserves for a potential triple crown bid. He is 3rd in BA, 6th in RBI (7 behind 1st) and 4th in HR (1 behind 1st). Playing in the ballpark in which he does with decent protection, he might have a legitimate shot.

Because a "down" year thus far for Albert Pujols has him sitting 1st in HRs, 2nd in RBIs and 4th in BA...

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
elemin8 said:
I think Josh Hamilton has a better chance the Miggy based on his situation. On Texas he is given ample of opportunities for RBI's that Miggy will not be given. If anyone is to slow down it will be Miggy. Guerrero and Cruz provide an amazing protection for Hamilton to see more pitches. A month ago we wouldn't even mentioned Hamilton as he was far away from Cano but now Cano avg has dropped and it conceivable that Josh can catch him within the next 2 weeks. The only category I can see derailing Josh is HR. For some reason I can see someone like Batista winning the Home Run crown

Jose Batista winning the home run crown, I don't see it. I also don't really see Miggy slowing down at all. I love Hamilton, but Miggy is the better hitter, he has proven that year in and year out(without injuries). I am a huge Hamilton fan, but you have to realize the Tigers will provide good RBI opportunities-AJax, Damon, Magglio, with Boesch hitting behind him. That seems like enough to me. Now after Boesch, the lineup doesn't offer too much-but its the guys ahead of Miggy that decide if he has RBI opportunities.

Hamilton and Miggy are 2 of my favorite players, I hope they both keep up the great years.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Here's an ESPN Dallas round-up of his June stats. But I don't think he'll stay up in the average dept.

June ended with a bang from Vladimir Guerrero, while Josh Hamilton just keeps on hitting. We've talked about Guerrero's great series so far (and will continue to do so). But here are some numbers on Hamilton's June now that he completed it with a double last night (thanks to ESPN Stats & Information and the Rangers' PR staff):

* Hamilton finished with 9 homers, 31 RBIs and a .454 batting average for June. Over the last 50 years, the only player with at least 9 homers, 30 RBIs and a .450 batting average in any month is Richard Hidalgo in September 2000 (11 homers, 31 RBIs, .467 batting avereage).

* The 49 hits are the most in any month in Rangers history. They are also the most by any major league player since Chone Figgins had 53 in 2007.

* Hamilton finished 49-for-108, batting .454 for the month, the highest batting average for one month since Figgins hit .461 in 2007.

* The 31 RBI are most since Albert Pujols (35) and Hanley Ramirez (33) in 2009.

* His 1.297 OPS is highest since J.D. Drew (1.309) in 2008.

* No one had a higher batting average or RBI total this month than Hamilton. He was one homer shy of Prince Fielder.

Fricking amazing.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Jays_Cards said:
This.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
gt2590 said:
Here's an ESPN Dallas round-up of his June stats. But I don't think he'll stay up in the average dept.

June ended with a bang from Vladimir Guerrero, while Josh Hamilton just keeps on hitting. We've talked about Guerrero's great series so far (and will continue to do so). But here are some numbers on Hamilton's June now that he completed it with a double last night (thanks to ESPN Stats & Information and the Rangers' PR staff):

* Hamilton finished with 9 homers, 31 RBIs and a .454 batting average for June. Over the last 50 years, the only player with at least 9 homers, 30 RBIs and a .450 batting average in any month is Richard Hidalgo in September 2000 (11 homers, 31 RBIs, .467 batting avereage).

* The 49 hits are the most in any month in Rangers history. They are also the most by any major league player since Chone Figgins had 53 in 2007.

* Hamilton finished 49-for-108, batting .454 for the month, the highest batting average for one month since Figgins hit .461 in 2007.

* The 31 RBI are most since Albert Pujols (35) and Hanley Ramirez (33) in 2009.

* His 1.297 OPS is highest since J.D. Drew (1.309) in 2008.

* No one had a higher batting average or RBI total this month than Hamilton. He was one homer shy of Prince Fielder.

Fricking amazing.

:D

Members online

Latest posts