Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Learning is Difficult (Steppin' back into NHL Cards)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
[h=3]So, ive been to two NHL games this month. Given my addictive personality, ive begun looking at hockey cards again, because who doesnt love addiction? lol[/h]it's been a learning process for sure. i was a huge hockey card collector 20 years ago, and even dabbled it in a little back in 2009 when John Tavares was a rookie. But then it kind of tapered off (again)

So, now its all new and fresh again. lots of learning. when starting a new focus, it gives you a fresh start, and you get to do it the way you want to.

NHL Hockey Cards are difficult. Collectors are very very picky. Team alliance is STRONG. almost to the point of them HATING players on other teams. that leads to a lot of hobby "coldness" for some players that you would think would be popular across the country. that just doesnt seem to be the case.

There are a lot of really good young scorers in the NHL right now. i wonder if there will ever be a day when the hobby comes to love a player that is not from North America, specifically Canada. Sure Ovechkin is popular, but his card prices would be higher if he were not Russian.

Ive settled on three brands that id like to focus on. Knowing me, this is bound to change. Hell, it's changed a few times since last week even! ha. .... Upper Deck Young Guns, SPA Future Watch, and Contenders Rookie Tickets. That covers the base card, and the oncard auto card. Naturally, then will be in BGS/PSA form, but with more desire to own them in BGS form.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Ive recently gotten into collecting Suter, never collected hockey cards in the past.
I can believe how cheap I am getting some cards (maybe they are expensive and I dont realize it cause Ive never looked at prices in the past, but how can I pass up a Suter sticker auto dlvd for under $3??

Therefore, Im solely focusing on the following:

Autos and Unique GU (no plain GU jersey cards), if I can get them at what I feel is a good price.
I feel that if I ever get the need to move the collection, it is easier with this small focus of cards vs. every single card in the book of said player.

Here is one example of a unique card I picked up for $50, the center part of his All Star Lockerplate

$T2eC16V,!)0FI,TWGjWPBSLM58SRvQ~~60_57.JPG

The biggest problem, and to be honest its not really a "problem" per se, but 99% of my purchases have come from Canada, therefore the shipping takes about 3 weeks to get from there to here.

And I agree, if you can keep your focus in check, can become addictive.

Redrubysports

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon
I agree, it is very addictive. I have been collecting cards for many years, mainly hockey. I take time off from collecting/buying as other life events happen but all-in-all I usually come back. The industry has changed a lot in all aspects of sports cards. The cards are not only better looking and more sought after, they are also quite expensive to get that single GU RC Auto into your collection. Best luck I've had in the past is to buy a hobby box or five and rip away. I've had tons of phenomenal hits and have sold many of them on eBay. It's really like Christmas as a kid when you're all pumped to open that gift.

Members online