Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Left in obscurity: 1989 Fleer Jeff "Bullseye" Treadway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
So last night I spent a few hours on youtube watching 1989 Fleer box breaks where people were looking specifically for Billy Ripken Puke Face and Randy Johnson Marlboro error cards. There were a few instances where people realized their dreams and pulled both but I noticed they also pulled the corrected version of the Treadway. Most didn't even bother to check. There were around a dozen other minor error cards from this set, most of them having text errors on the back. One guy seemed to be an expert and pulled ALL the error cards from a box EXCEPT the Treadway and ended up with the corrected version. So just how rare and underappreciated is this card?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I remember finding one, probably from a bargain box at the local shop. I recall them being around $25 BV at the time and it was cheap enough (a buck maybe?), so I bought it. Just my personal opinion, and this clearly doesn't drive value, but error cards like that are nearly meaningless when they don't feature a player of some significance. There are valuable variations of commons, but I personally don't see the draw. Treadway eventually played briefly for the Dodgers, so I keep his cards. If he was with the Dodgers when the error occurred, even better, but he was not.

Especially since we have grown to live in a collecting society of purposeful scarcity, with 1/1 cards being nearly dime a dozen now (exaggeration, but I did win an off-brand 1/1 auto printing plate of Phil Bickford just a couple weeks back for under $5), the only time anyone really cares is if it is a star or rookie. Why would I want an error/variation of some scrub, even if only a few 100 copies exist? I don't, is my answer!

I know this does not answer your question, but they do seem to be somewhat scarce. Cheapest of 5 I saw on ebay was $45 OBO. That is a lot of $ for a card of a scrub like him.

Members online

Latest posts